Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants this bleedin Queen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

leahyl wrote: »
    Ya i work in UCC so whatever about getting into work - I def won't be able to get home cos I have to go through town:mad: This pales in comparison though to people sitting exams or going to the hospital etc. I just cannot believe this is happening. And now just after reading here that they are putting up Union Jack flag and bunting around the city - give me a break!!
    I know that my grandfather would be turning in his grave at the thought of it. The man had no love for the crown and it's forces and once his friend was murdered on the North Gate bridge by the black and tans then he joined up with the old IRA and took down a few of them as payback.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They should get Harry and William to visit instead :p
    Kate and Pippa would be the peoples choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Show Time wrote: »
    I know that my grandfather would be turning in his grave at the thought of it. The man had no love for the crown and it's forces and once his friend was murdered on the North Gate bridge by the black and tans then he joined up with the old IRA and took down a few of them as payback.

I know my grandmother(recently deceased) who remembers the night Collins died with her father pacing the kitchen crying because his comrade and leader died, would want us to put the hatred and killing behind us.

Buceph wrote: »
    I know my grandmother(recently deceased) who remembers the night Collins died with her father pacing the kitchen crying because his comrade and leader died, would want us to put the hatred and killing behind us.
    I have less time for our own politicians and bankers and property developers then anyone across the water if i am to be honest. They are the people the finger of blame should be pointed at for the mess Ireland is in. Not some old woman who is just coming to see Cork for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have less time for our own politicians and bankers and property developers then anyone across the water if i am to be honest. They are the people the finger of blame should be pointed at for the mess Ireland is in. Not some old woman who is just coming to see Cork for the first time.

Oh ya definitely - I mean I would rather she didn't come (just have no time for the older members of the Royal Family) but fair enough if there was minimal disruption but this is MAJOR disruption to the citizens of our city all because a foreign Queen is coming to visit for 2 hours!

I totally agree about the bankers, developers etc. but at the end of the day this 30 million (or however much) they are spending on this visit has just appeared out of thin air! Yet we can't afford to put more money/resources into our education, health systems! And who's gonna be paying for this visit?? US. Typical.

In short it is NOT a good time for her to be coming.

• Advertisement

I dunno about that. I think we have to show some faith in the brits as well. Just the other day Cameron was defending the loan from Britain to Ireland, the one outside the IMF deal. And Britain has the third highest budget deficit in Europe (it may be fourth highest.) Lots of people over there are griping about Europe and calling for a referendum to pull out of the EU. I think this visit will go some way to shoring up in people's minds that Britain and Ireland are best of buds. "Sure look at all we've done in the North, with co-operation, look at how much we trade with each other, and look at all the stag do's, golf and fishing trips we send over and all the football fans they send over."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

gbee wrote: »
    Yes, and they have done it already. Listen in to Neil Prenders now if you can. There will be Union Jacks and Red White and Blue Bunting steaming from St.Patrick Street buildings too.

It's a total joke. 95FM researcher was disappointed with the national coverage of the Queen's visit were Cork was hardly mentioned at all, and that is the way it will stay too.

The viewing figures being quoted for the two hour Cork visit is bizzarre. If you listen in you'll need a strong stomach!

Yeah, I've seen a photo of that when the british ambassador was visiting. I'll never say I'm embarrassed to be from Cork, but I will say that some people are truly embarrassing Cork. They whole viewing figures/tourism boost is bull in my opinion, in all fairness british people know where Ireland is on a map, they might come here or they might go off on a sun holiday, Lizzy isn't going to change their destination.

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh ya definitely - I mean I would rather she didn't come (just have no time for the older members of the Royal Family) but fair enough if there was minimal disruption but this is MAJOR disruption to the citizens of our city all because a foreign Queen is coming to visit for 2 hours!

I totally agree about the bankers, developers etc. but at the end of the day this 30 million (or however much) they are spending on this visit has just appeared out of thin air! Yet we can't afford to put more money/resources into our education, health systems! And who's gonna be paying for this visit?? US. Typical.

In short it is NOT a good time for her to be coming.
    One could argue that with 800 odd years of history the time is never right for a royal visit. With luck it will go off without a hitch and who knows maybe a few of our neighbours from across the Irish sea might be willing to follow Queen Lizzy lead over here and spend back some of the 30 odd million.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

One could argue that with 800 odd years of history the time is never right for a royal visit. With luck it will go off without a hitch and who knows maybe a few of our neighbours from across the Irish sea might be willing to follow Queen Lizzy lead over here and spend back some of the 30 odd million.
    i allways keep telling the old dears,to go over to ireland for their hollidays,believe it or not,even though more british visit ireland on holiday than any other race,many of them still have to be convinced that it is safe to do so,there is still a strong its not safe for us feeling,the big TV coverage,will do a lot to change their minds.

flash1080 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen a photo of that when the british ambassador was visiting. I'll never say I'm embarrassed to be from Cork, but I will say that some people are truly embarrassing Cork. They whole viewing figures/tourism boost is bull in my opinion, in all fairness british people know where Ireland is on a map, they might come here or they might go off on a sun holiday, Lizzy isn't going to change their destination.
    i believe the PM is coming over as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Does anyone know when the exact details of road closures will be announced?? I've an exam on Friday morning and dealing with that kind of stress is the last thing I want to be doing before an exam! Ucc have not sent out any info yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ucc have not sent out any info yet.

They might not have any to send out. Check out the Garda Twitter pages for the most up to date info, you'll see it there even before the college gets it's emails.

Does anyone know when the exact details of road closures will be announced?? I've an exam on Friday morning and dealing with that kind of stress is the last thing I want to be doing before an exam! Ucc have not sent out any info yet.

Get on to the SU. This will be one of the few cases they might be useful. They generally have good links with the guards and some of the UCC staff have extremely good links with the guards.

getz wrote: »
    i allways keep telling the old dears,to go over to ireland for their hollidays,believe it or not,even though more british visit ireland on holiday than any other race,many of them still have to be convinced that it is safe to do so,there is still a strong its not safe for us feeling,the big TV coverage,will do a lot to change their minds.
    If people keep living in the past then there is no hope for any of us. :(
    Only last week when in the local pub i had a young lad not even out of his teens trying to give me the history of the hunger strike(Very funny as i am 37 and did a history essay on it for the leaving and got an A+ in honours:))once i set the lad right on one or two of his "facts" he went down to the other end of the bar so i could play pool in peace.

Only last week when in the local pub i had a young lad not even out of his teens trying to give me the history of the hunger strike(Very funny as i am 37 and did a history essay on it for the leaving and got an A+ in honours:))once i set the lad right on one or two of his "facts" he went down to the other end of the bar so i could play pool in peace.
    i try to say to them,how beautiful the country is,and the best part of being in ireland are the friendly people,in the village i always go to[south wicklow] my wife and i are treated like family,often asked into their homes,the older ones are always wanting to tell me about,when they were in london ect during the war,the younger ones who aways seem to be united/liverpool or arsenal fans,always want to know the best bars,and places to visit in the UK. never yet in my 10 years of holidays in ireland have we met or heard any off putting remarks.

i try to say to them,how beautiful the country is,and the best part of being in ireland are the friendly people,in the village i always go to[south wicklow] my wife and i are treated like family,often asked into their homes,the older ones are always wanting to tell me about,when they were in london ect during the war,the younger ones who aways seem to be united/liverpool or arsenal fans,always want to know the best bars,and places to visit in the UK. never yet in my 10 years of holidays in ireland have we met or heard any off putting remarks.
    I have family in London and have had a few enjoyable hols over there(including a night i can't remember in the Ministry of Sound:D)and never had any problems over my Irish accent. The only place i ever got hassle over that was in Belfast.

I have family in London and have had a few enjoyable hols over there(including a night i can't remember in the Ministry of Sound:D)and never had any problems over my Irish accent. The only place i ever got hassle over that was in Belfast.
    yes belfast is still living on a knife edge,if you ever get a chance go the northern england,blackpool and manchester for a piss up,or the lake district and the dales for beauty,when in ireland i never miss going down to the meeting of the waters,i can sit for hrs just listening to gentle flow and relaxing

I've been to Belfast a couple of times. Stayed near the university mostly, although there's some dodgy areas nearby. Didn't have a spot of bother from the group we were there to meet with, or from random people in the pubs and clubs. Most would ask us where we were from, at least some of them would have to have been loyalists, and not a bother.

We did have one crazy guy come up to us during some quiet pints on the Sunday when we were in the Uni bar to tell us he thinks Gerry Adams should be president of Ireland. We dismissed him saying he wouldn't be elected as city dog catcher. :mad:

Edit: And though this was in the end of June, I figure our experiences would have been with a predominantly young crowd, so that might have shaped events for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

Garda Information relating to the Cork City area for the Visit of HM Queen Elizabeth II on 20 May 2011

From 10 a.m. on Friday, 20 May 2011 a number of streets in the city centre will be closed to traffic. The outer routes around the city will remain open.
    Pedestrians will have access to the city centre with reduced crossing points due to crowd control barriers. Other restrictions to pedestrians will be in place at appointed locations.

Bus Éireann have the Park and Ride facility operational at the Black Ash Park and Ride Facility to Lavitts Quay. Access to the Park and Ride will be via
    Mick Barry Road from the Tramore Road direction. All Bus Eireann schedules can be found at www.buseireann.ie

The City Centre areas of South Link Road (Inbound), Station Road, Anglesea Street, South Mall, Grand Parade, Patrick Street, Academy Street, Washington Street, Sheares Street, and Dyke Parade will be closed to traffic from 1000 hrs on the 20th May 2011.
    No parking will be allowed on this route from 1800 hrs the previous evening the 19th May 2011.
    This will also affect deliveries and services as barriers will be placed along the route. Arrangements should be made to have deliveries prior to 1800hrs on the 19th May 2011. The service providers in the city centre have been consulted and are aware of this restriction.

There will be No Pedestrian Access to the following Streets on the 20th May 2011 between 12 noon and 4 p.m.
    Princess Street (“Upper”)
    Both Sides
    Grand Parade
    Junction of Oliver Plunkett Street to Patrick Street
    St Augustine Street to Tuckey Street
    Junction of Tuckey Street and Grand Parade to Electric Bar South Mall
    Washington Street (Both Sides)
    Junction Grand Parade to South Main Street

yes belfast is still living on a knife edge,if you ever get a chance go the northern england,blackpool and manchester for a piss up,or the lake district and the dales for beauty,when in ireland i never miss going down to the meeting of the waters,i can sit for hrs just listening to gentle flow and relaxing
    They are a different race up North and i always wanted to explore the option of using some TNT to blast the North out as it's own island and up into the north sea to give everyone some peace.:).
    The lake district has been on the to do list for a long time and if i get my home improvements done before the end of the summer then i may look into a few days over that way.
    The dream holiday for me is still North Africa along the route the 8th army Desert Rats and the Afrikakorps slugged it out. The legends of both Monty and Rommel were born on those sands.

*Out and out history buff/geek.

• Advertisement

I've been to Belfast a couple of times. Stayed near the university mostly, although there's some dodgy areas nearby. Didn't have a spot of bother from the group we were there to meet with, or from random people in the pubs and clubs. Most would ask us where we were from, at least some of them would have to have been loyalists, and not a bother.

We did have one crazy guy come up to us during some quiet pints on the Sunday when we were in the Uni bar to tell us he thinks Gerry Adams should be president of Ireland. We dismissed him saying he wouldn't be elected as city dog catcher. :mad:

Edit: And though this was in the end of June, I figure our experiences would have been with a predominantly young crowd, so that might have shaped events for us.
    Sorry i should have added the Belfast experience was a once off and could be dismissed as the rantings of a drunk old fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I was in town last night and I must say the place is looking very well. The corpo seem to have done a good job cleaning the place up. Streets were the cleanest I have ever seen them.
    Pity it cant be like that all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

That all went fine it seems. Lovely atmosphere outside and hot, hot, hot weather. The whole city looked well. Glad for City Hall that it worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

God bless her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

haha that made me laugh :D

Seems to have gone very well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I don't think I've ever seen a better looking bunch around town. Interesting.

On the down-side I saw the gardai being heavy-handed with someone, kinda ruined it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

FTGFOP wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a better looking bunch around town. Interesting.

On the down-side I saw the gardai being heavy-handed with someone, kinda ruined it for me.

I thought the guards were pretty much in control of everything. The protesting was very peaceful, I didn't see any scuffles. Plus they brought in a barrier of children as human shields between the protesters on Sullivan's Quay and the queen. :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How can you do a history lesson for your leaving on something that happened 10 years before hand , general knowledge yes, history no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Please note, north of watford, it rains they have banjos and the people are weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Malari wrote: »
    they brought in a barrier of children as human shields between the protesters on Sullivan's Quay and the queen. :cool::D
    :eek:
    Malari wrote: »
    I thought the guards were pretty much in control of everything. The protesting was very peaceful, I didn't see any scuffles

I just saw poster taken off someone. Felt wrong. You couldn't even read the bloody thing.

I didn't see any protests other than that failed attempt.

Advertisement