Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who wants this bleedin Queen?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

How can you do a history lesson for your leaving on something that happened 10 years before hand , general knowledge yes, history no.
    The hunger strike was in 81' which would mean in was history in 94' when i wrote about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Jesus, some collection of scum outside the old FAS office today. Couldn't get any work done because of the sh*tty rebel sh*te music blaring. Really let themselves when they started chanting "What do we want? Brits out" revealing that they weren't simply anti monarchy but actual xenophobes. Then the 'intimidating' face off at the bridge where they loomed towards the police before dissipating.

Had to have a chuckle at the fellow with the "Queens against the Queen" board though, wearing a feather boa. Didn't seem like a whole lot of the lads wanted to be seen near him.

Popped into the English Market and the place was full to the brim with tourists and natives alike. No doubt this visit has bolstered business there and the week has passed relatively without incident. Shows the country in a positive light despite those idiots determined to drag the image down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I thought the whole thing was great. I was over by the courthouse.

5740281330_a7a4c06247.jpg
    HRH Queen Elizabeth visits Cork by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

I couldn't really see the queen, but got a decent shot of the Duke.

5739716137_e092b3a8d0.jpg
    HRH Queen Elizabeth visits Cork by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

We saw the public order unit heading off in a rush at one stage, but down there you couldn't see any protests or trouble at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ok confess which one of you langers said.."i like your hat" to the queen:rolleyes:

40" in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

^Didn't realise she actually interacted with the crowds today until you posted that.

Here is my crummy picture of the queen driving by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Show Time wrote: »
    The hunger strike was in 81' which would mean in was history in 94' when i wrote about it.

so you got an A for current affairs

Why do you have such a hard time accepting a thirteen year old event can make it into a history syllabus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Thought it was absolutely brilliant! Was down on the South Mall and the atmosphere around us was great! got two big waves when she was coming and going, delighted :)

Patrick St was great then watching her in the English Market....fabulous day out :)

Were there some people let into the English Market or were you watching on one of the screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

any views on the union jack hangin over city hall........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hoffmans wrote: »

Absolute disgrace - a step too far

Esp when the tricolour is at half mast for Garret Fitzgerald. Just wrong IMO - there's too much history between the 2 countries and I dont think we've come quite far enough (or ever will imo) to be raising the union jack over the city hall but that's just my view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Hoffmans wrote: »

It's traditional to fly the flags of visiting dignitaries. City hall did very well on coordinating it with the complications of the tricolour flying at half mast for former Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald and the Union flag for the state visit. A lot if upping and downing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Were there some people let into the English Market or were you watching on one of the screens?

Oh just watching on the screens, was great seeing everyone racing to Patrick St after she passed on the South Mall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Given several accidents and the bottleneck of having traffic diverted to the exclusion zone for a while, the event went off much better than forecast from the information drip fed to us.

Seemingly security was relaxed and people allowed to actually see the Queen and pedestrians not barred from some areas previously so designated.

The rolling road closures worked well and caused minimal disruption. Overall the operation was much better than had been communicated to the general public.

I got an A for know my stuff kiddo.;)

Hey, so what did the half million for The English Market get spent on? Anything noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Why do you have such a hard time accepting a thirteen year old event can make it into a history syllabus?

When I did the leaving in 1985 there was no questions on arms trial, think the last question you could do was the Mother & baby scheme

When I did the leaving in 1985 there was no questions on arms trial, think the last question you could do was the Mother & baby scheme
    It changed a bit in nine years.:rolleyes:

Advertisement