Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Audio CDs

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here have a collection of SACDs or is an SACD collector.
    SACDs at the moment are a premium collectible item with some titles clearing over $1000 on ebay. For example, THe Scorpions Moment Of Glory cleared $1500 a couple of months ago. Groove Armada Love Box cleared $400 recently. Other rarities are Depeche Mode Violator and Black Celebration, Talk Talk Colour Of Spring, Spirit Of Eden, Duran Duran Astronaut, Spandau Ballet True, Sarah Brightman Eden.
    Because SACDs are not being manfactured any more by the major record companies, whatever SACDs out there are getting more and more valuable with time. Probably because they don't suffer the same degradation as vinyl over time.
    Check your CD collections for SACDs. You just might have a gold mine in your attic. I did and I had.:D
    Some SACDs like the Rolling Stones remasters are not even marked as such on the sleeve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I remember they were all over the music mags around 2003-2004, with the likes of Elton John, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Roxy Music etc releasing their entire catalogues in SACD. I passed on it at the time as players were extremely expensive.
    I see now that most new Sony/Pioneer Blue Ray players have SACD circuitry built in. And Universal Japan is in the process of releasing a huge chunk of their back catalogue in SHM-SACD. So carry on collecting. Its looking good again for SACD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Obviously everyone in Ireland missed the boat on SACDs. More for me so.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

If anybody has any for sale I am interested though not at those mad prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sweet. Only have one: Michael Jackson's Thriller but it's currently selling for £70.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

****. Pretty sure the 30th Anniversary edition of Dark Side of the Moon that I had was SACD, but I probably sold it to Spindizzy along with most of my other CDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

I have a few rare Frank Zappa SACD I don't really care how much they are worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What was the main selling point of SACD, 5.1 sound and better quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah. Makes a big difference for acoustic instruments. It really sounds like they're almost there. Didn't notice any improvement from Synths or distorted guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had a few gathering dust up until last yr when I put them all on an auction site.

I had ones from the likes of Miles Davis, FGTH, Simple Minds, Snow Patrol, Dire Straits.

Fetched some decent money on them, although nothing like the crazy money mentioned above.

I think least I got was £25, with the FGTH and Miles Davis ones going for approx £55 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I have a few but I've only ever played them on a standard CD player. I have a few Rolling Stones reissues and The Ultimate Experience by Jimi Hendrix. Strangely my copy of Bryter Layter by Nick Drake which is supposedly an SACD has a tiny sticker on the back cover stating "not SACD".

I'm sure I must have some more but I never paid much attention to them being SACD as I never had any intention of buying an SACD player.

• Advertisement

Anybody interested in selling any??????

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Anybody interested in selling any??????
    Check out current prices.
    http://www.sa-cd.net/titles/3/0/date/1000/1

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

last year I picked up a mint Lovebox by Groove Armada SACD in Spindizzy for €4.99 and sold it a month later on EBay for €212.

I love the fact that Ronan Keatings SACD is only worth €10.00:D

last year I picked up a mint Lovebox by Groove Armada SACD in Spindizzy for €4.99 and sold it a month later on EBay for €212.

Don't get me started on Spindizzy.:D
    When I buy a second hand CD from a record shop, I always ask to see what nick its in. Is it badly scratched or not.
    But the guy who works behind the counter on Saturdays in Spindizzy hates that.
    Twice I could hear him say "PRICK" under his breath on my way out after buying cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

carrolls wrote: »
    Twice I could hear him say "PRICK" under his breath on my way out after buying cds.

And yet you went back??

I wasn't buying him, I was buying the CD. It was a cheap rare CD. :p

Its one of the last remaining second hand record stores in Dublin. And I wouldn't say working behind the counter in a second hand record store is a barrel of laughs anyway these days. I wouldn't let a rude seller stop me going in and browsing anyway.

Maybe those of you that discovered CDs containing Sacd data but not shown on the cover might share those precious finds with everybody.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Maybe those of you that discovered CDs containing Sacd data but not shown on the cover might share those precious finds with everybody.
    There are still loads of reasonably priced SACDs on Amazon and EBay. It would be much more efficient for yourself and everybody if you ordered what you want off there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

I have oasis definatly maybe on sacd and acdc back in black how do I find there value I think I have a few of the stones as well

jazoo wrote: »
    I have oasis definatly maybe on sacd and acdc back in black how do I find there value I think I have a few of the stones as well

You don't have AC/DC Back In Black on SACD. It was never released on SACD. It was only ever released on the vastly inferior DUAL-DISC format in Surround Sound.
    If you bothered to read the previous posts, you would know that you can get current SACD prices by clicking

Advertisement