Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for an ireland visitor ?!

• 26-04-2011 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hiya!

I'm going to visit Ireland in a few weeks for about ten days!

And I'm gonna bring my Nikon D300 with me :)

I have a simple question about that, which I couln't find out by searching though the web.
    Does anyone of you know how I can archive my raw (.NEFs) in case my flash cards are full?

I don't want to shoot with jpegs as I want to photoshop the pix after the journey to get the best results...

here in Germany we have digital photo terminals in our drugstores, where we can also burn CDs (even DVDs? Never did that).... but I don't even know wether it can handle the raw-format.

so, please if anybody has advice for me.... let me know!!

I#m really looking forward hearing from ya.

cheers

Nina

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

there are plenty of shops here (Internet Cafe's or Photography shops) which will charge you money to transfer your images to a CD/DVD (Raw files or JPG) ... as long as you are willing to pay it can be done.

I'm sure some of us (here on Boards) will be willing to do it for free or maybe a pint.

if I'm available I'll offer to do it....I'm based in Dublin.

As regards your visit - hope you enjoy your stay - there is loads to photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kenwood

Hi Nina,

I'm in Cork and if you need to burn CD's or DVD's give me a shout here or PM me.

Denis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

kenwood wrote: »
    Hi Nina,

I'm in Cork and if you need to burn CD's or DVD's give me a shout here or PM me.

Denis

Nina, make sure you visit County Wicklow, the Garden of Ireland (most beautiful county in Ireland).
    I can also burn CD/DVDs for you if you are in this area and want to unload your camera cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Nina, make sure you visit County Wicklow, the Garden of Ireland (most beautiful county in Ireland).
    I can also burn CD/DVDs for you if you are in this area and want to unload your camera cards.

*Cough*Donegal*Cough*

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Plenty of shops and cafes you can do it in.

If you're stuck, and in Kildare, let me know. I'll even throw in a free cuppa tea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Plenty of kind offers so far and I'll also offer the same as previous.. In North County Dublin (Malahide) if that's any help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

If you are around Listowel, Co Kerry I will sort you out

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000209302263

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

And this is why I love Boards :D

We dont get too many visitors in Balbriggan, but I'm here if you need me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

If you are heading to the sunny South East let me know. Co. Wexford also has CD / DVD burners if you need any help:D.

Good luck with the trip and post us some of your shots as you go.

DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 farwood

oh my god, you're all soooo kind!!!

Thanks sooo much!!

I think, I L.O.V.E. your country already .... long before I even put a foot on it.... just for its kind people!!!

Perhaps I'll get in touch with you ;)

Right at the moment we (my friend Sarah and me) are not quite sure, which towns to visit.... but we'll kick off in galway and end up in dublin.... there's plenty of time inbetween May 12th and 16th.... we're gonna see where the road will lead us to.....

my dear.... thank you sooooo much for your friendly offers!!

think I'll keep in touch with this board(s).... looks like there are nice peple around!

cheers

Nina

• Advertisement

Decoda wrote: »
    If you are heading to the sunny South East let me know. Co. Wexford also has CD / DVD burners if you need any help:D.

Good luck with the trip and post us some of your shots as you go.

DC

Decoda...is there a category for that?

I would love to share the pix with you.... and it might be interesting for you to see how a stranger sees your homecountry....

so, if theres a thread for it, I'll do.... otherwise I will just upload them on my web-page... am I allowed to post a link here?
    it would be fernewald.de

by the way....farwood would be something like the englisch translation for "fernewald" ;)

Nina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Am in Cork, if you need access to a laptop, internet, or whatnot, give me a shout. Enjoy your holiday!

-FoxT

farwood wrote: »
    Decoda...is there a category for that?

I would love to share the pix with you.... and it might be interesting for you to see how a stranger sees your homecountry....

so, if theres a thread for it, I'll do.... otherwise I will just upload them on my web-page... am I allowed to post a link here?
    it would be fernewald.de

by the way....farwood would be something like the englisch translation for "fernewald" ;)

Nina

Post you photos in the random thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056241769
    Enjoy your trip and keep safe,
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

Happy to help out if you're in West Clare, I'm a stone's throw from the Cliffs of Moher. http://burrentech.com/blog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Promac wrote: »
    *Cough*Donegal*Cough*

:)

Please, we all know it is kerry....:D

*haha*

information overflow.... it s getting more and more difficult to decide ;)

Nina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Jimdagym wrote: »
    And this is why I love Boards :D

We dont get too many visitors in Balbriggan, but I'm here if you need me.

I visit Balbriggan everyday!!for work....... Oh its why I like boards also.

Nina, have a nice trip to Ireland. You wont be disappointed. Dont mind people telling you Wicklow or Donegal are beautiful the truth is the whole country is beautiful. You will get ample opportunities to fill your cards no matter what the weather.

Is there by anychance a photowalk around Dublin when the OP is here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

This thread is the very reason I love the Borads.ie photography people!

If I was still in Dublin I would be offering to lend a hand, too.

(If any of you are ever in Seattle, let me know happy to lend a hand if needed.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

^ time to update your profile location :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fishtankdiver

Great to see the true Irish spirit of friendliness shining through! Hopefully the sun will still be shining when you get here too...

The offers are very kind from everyone, but given how cheap memory cards are these days would you not just buy a few extra cards (keep them small so you don't have too many images on any one card) and deal with them when you get home?

There are plenty of great photo opportunities wherever you go in Ireland. What type of photos do you prefer taking i.e. landscapes, city-scapes etc. ?

I went on a brilliant landscape seminar a couple of weeks back - and was blown away - by Guy Gowan (guygowan.com) and learnt some amazing techniques for processing the RAW images after a trip. Check it out if you get the chance.

Enjoy the trip!

• Advertisement

Great to see the true Irish spirit of friendliness shining through! Hopefully the sun will still be shining when you get here too...

The offers are very kind from everyone, but given how cheap memory cards are these days would you not just buy a few extra cards (keep them small so you don't have too many images on any one card) and deal with them when you get home?

There are plenty of great photo opportunities wherever you go in Ireland. What type of photos do you prefer taking i.e. landscapes, city-scapes etc. ?

I went on a brilliant landscape seminar a couple of weeks back - and was blown away - by Guy Gowan (guygowan.com) and learnt some amazing techniques for processing the RAW images after a trip. Check it out if you get the chance.

Enjoy the trip!
    @fishtankdiver:
    thanks for your reply :)
    I also considered buying another memory card...but 70quits for a slower one and over 100 for the faster isn't cheap.... especially not when your saving evry penny for your holiday to spend it there ;)

I'll see what I'll do.... there will be enough internet cafe to contact someone from here if i really don't manage... or if I just want to have a pint with a local ;)

my favorite? is social Life, portraits, flair and atmosphere....which is sometimes a crowded mall, an old man in a cafe, or some stonewalls covered with moss .....
    just everything that comes to my mind and to my eye.... I love rotten houses, oder front doors and windows.... theres a magic to doors...

there will be some landscapes as well.... but not tooo many...

and of course : i LOVE sheep *hahaaa*.... when I was a kid, my father bought two of em.... we had lots of animals.... and I really loved the sheep.....

so I think, there is no special advice (place) which I can be given.... I just capture everything that comes my way.... but thanks for asking!!!

maybe I'll ask if there is an dublin or galway photowalk in may planned... but not so sure, as sarah (who is on the trip with me) is not an photographer...

Nina

farwood wrote: »
    oh my god, you're all soooo kind!!!Thanks sooo much!!
    I think, I L.O.V.E. your country already .... long before I even put a foot on it.... just for its kind people!!!
    Perhaps I'll get in touch with you ;)
    Right at the moment we (my friend Sarah and me) are not quite sure, which towns to visit.... but we'll kick off in galway and end up in dublin.... there's plenty of time inbetween May 12th and 16th.... we're gonna see where the road will lead us to.....
    my dear.... thank you sooooo much for your friendly offers!!
    think I'll keep in touch with this board(s).... looks like there are nice peple around!
    cheers
    Nina
    Hi Nina,
    I wonder how you got on during your time here in beautiful Ireland, any feedback ?

hiya!!!

give me some time, I'm back for less than 24hours an checking all my emails, post, etc... and will archive all my stuff and photos... I'm sure I will find some time for an detailed feedback somewhen around the weekend :)

but for the curious ones:

IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nina

Advertisement