Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Id be the same as Iago in that I always tip delivery drivers.The delivery charge is usually only around 2 quid so would always give a couple of quid extra.
    It's the one time I tend not to tip- unless it's "free delivery" locally which I don't tend to be able to avail of where I live....I think paying the 2 eur is enough for this service

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Ive never understood this tipping lark. So tell me, when i tip in a restaurant where does that extra cash go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I don't tip very often and if I do it is probably only a few Euros.

My argument is that, for good service it should come free, exceptional service gets a tip and bad service gets a complaint and I would ask for a refund!

About time people expected good service as a rule of thumb, not an exception!

That's my bit, now crucify me lol!

Monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I used to tip becuase I felt that it was part of general etiquette and I suppose I felt some pressure to conform. But now I've decided that it is a ridiculous practice unless you are in a country like the States where workers are being paid very low wages (even that annoys me but I'll respect their culture no matter how ridiculous it seems).

In Ireland I see no compelling reason for tipping. We have a relatively high minnimum wage so that should negate the need for tipping. Why should a waitress or waiter or taxi driver get extra money for doing their job well? That is what they are supposed to do!

I don't get paid extra when I do my job well and it's not like i earn a massive amount above minnimum wage. And many taxi drivers probably make more than me so there is no way I would leave a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

I have waitressed alot over the years and I don't really expect tips all the time. Lunch time and Breakfast time for example most people don't tip and in turn when I'm eating out for lunch or breakfast I don't tip either. I also don't tip if the waiter/waitress is rude and every request from you is greeted with a sigh or a roll of the eyes. At dinner I would always tip if the service was good and the waitress was attentive and quick to sort out any extra requests or deviations from the menu.

People that are troublesome customers, that monopolize a lot of your time and then after it all leave nothing as a tip really annoy me and I have to say that if people started doing that leaving 1 cent as a tip too, waiters/waitresses in Ireland would probably run out the door after them too. Although if that was done to me I'd be quite upset as I'd take it as a personal failure even if on the off chance it was just an unpleasant customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I never tip if theres a service charge-something I always check.
    I dont tip taxi drivers, unless it comes to €19.50 or something-they can have the change.
    I usually leave my change with delivery guys, unless they're one of the ones who prick about taking ages getting it together in the hope you'll say 'ah its grand just keep it'.
    If im out for dinner its the only major time I tip, and its usually around 10% or leftover change (once its not too measly). I dont tip if I'm not leaving really happy though, eating out is expensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

I used to tip becuase I felt that it was part of general etiquette and I suppose I felt some pressure to conform. But now I've decided that it is a ridiculous practice unless you are in a country like the States where workers are being paid very low wages (even that annoys me but I'll respect their culture no matter how ridiculous it seems).

In Ireland I see no compelling reason for tipping. We have a relatively high minnimum wage so that should negate the need for tipping. Why should a waitress or waiter or taxi driver get extra money for doing their job well? That is what they are supposed to do!

I don't get paid extra when I do my job well and it's not like i earn a massive amount above minnimum wage. And many taxi drivers probably make more than me so there is no way I would leave a tip.

Taxi drivers don't earn minimum wage, their wages are based on fares and many work 7 days a week just to get by.

I would tip, like most, if the service is exceptional. I've worked in most areas of the service industry and it's a ****ty place to work, so if someone goes above and beyond then I'll tip them. Even in retail I've received tips!

I would agree with others when they say if you don't like the service don't tip AND complain. Not enough people do this and the service remains poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Galvasean wrote: »
    Exceptions are when a taxi driver deliberately takes ages rooting for change (it's quite obvious sometimes). That or if they deliberately take the scenic route to bump up the fare. In those cases I wait and take the change.
    I take the change, and ask for a receipt if I think they were being slow, or going the long way. Heck, most of the time, I tell them the way to go. If I don't know the way, I don't usually tip.

=-=

Dominos, I tip if the pizza is delivered piping hot, and all dips are delivered. Takeaway deliveries I tip, as I find if I constantly tip them, my food always gets to me hot. Oh, the food will get to you regardless, but I find if you tip, and they know you tip, the food gets to you first. Personally, when I worked in a pub, I'd favour the tippers in regards service. I find delivery people the same.

Mind you, both Dominos and local takeaway deliveries are free delivery. If somewhere charges delivery, I tip less, or don't order from there. Unless I'm drinking, I sometimes find it cheaper to collect from the places that charge delivery.

=-=

Restaurants, if I get the food as I ordered it, and I'm not waiting around for a while for the food (and I have the change on me), I usually tip. I find I tip rarely in Dublin. Down the country (Limerick, Kerry, Cork, etc), I would probably tip the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

the_syco wrote: »
    Mind you, both Dominos and local takeaway deliveries are free delivery.

Dominoes is not free delivery even though they advertise it.
    The delivery is worked into the price and then they give a discount if you collect it yourself.

Around here, the local postman gets €20 or maybe €10 or even just a tin of roses every Christmas. Just the done thing.
    It's different in a city where you don't know your postman, in a rural area you know the postman and they know you and all your children.
    Hey, the postman probably saw you grow up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

I live in the States and tipping is very much part of the culture. 20% is generally the rule of thumb for meals, haircuts, things like that. Drinking in a bar it's a least a dollar a drink. At Christmas you need to tip the doorman of the building about 100$. All adds up, but you've just got to accept thats the way it is over here.

On one occassion I deliberately didnt tip (awful service, forgot to put in our order, and was rude when we reminded her), so I didnt tip. She followed me out of the restaurant and demanded to know why I didnt leave anything. I couldnt believe the neck on her! Even in this extreme case the girl I was with (American) was embarrassed that I didnt leave anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dominoes is not free delivery even though they advertise it.
    The delivery is worked into the price and then they give a discount if you collect it yourself.
    Meh. €10 for personal pizza, garlic bread + can of soft drink + delivery is pretty good in my book.
    Around here, the local postman gets €20 or maybe €10 or even just a tin of roses every Christmas. Just the done thing.
    Aye. I know someone who gave their postie 10 year old whiskey; the postie would put large deliveries (computer parts, etc) into a certain box - stopped my mate from having to goto the sorting office to collect them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cherile

If you asked me in 2007 it would have been 15% almost standard unless the service was brutal but now it is very much dependant on service and the establishment.
    A nice restaurant done well is still 15% but aid the service is bad the tip is next to nothing. Still feel a little bad sometimes tipping badly but treat every euro like a hostage now I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

We tip a fiver or 10% but if the service or food is poor we do not tip and complain.

This applies to our regular haunts and we eat out once or twice a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

One thing I can't understand is people who order beef in a fish restaurant and then complain coz it's not up to scratch....go to a good steakhouse if you want good beef..fish restaurants are for lovers of fish...simples.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

I wouldn't eat out a huge amount (girlfriend is away = no dates) so when I do I look into the place and get people's opinions on it. That way I rarely end up going somewhere where the service is sh!te and I can relax. That said, money is tight as everyone knows so I would only leave a tip if the service is exceptional, the food is great and the place itself is nice.

I've been coerced by guilt far too often into giving someone a tip who barely met the lowest standards of service and competence but no more. I'm still amazed at how often waiters/waitresses get orders wrong though. You'd think the proprietor would have a zero tolerance policy on that sort of carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

0%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Cicero wrote: »
    One thing I can't understand is people who order beef in a fish restaurant and then complain coz it's not up to scratch....go to a good steakhouse if you want good beef..fish restaurants are for lovers of fish...simples.:cool:

If it's on the menu, then the chef should be able to cook it to a high standard. I don't buy into the whole it's a fish restaurant so don't expect the steak to be good crap. Meat is relatively easy to cook. So there's no excuse for a bad meal.

I'm paying over €20 for a steak and it's crap, then I won't tip and I will complain. Fish restaurant or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

foinse wrote: »
    If it's on the menu, then the chef should be able to cook it to a high standard. I don't buy into the whole it's a fish restaurant so don't expect the steak to be good crap. Meat is relatively easy to cook. So there's no excuse for a bad meal.

I'm paying over €20 for a steak and it's crap, then I won't tip and I will complain. Fish restaurant or not.

Too feckin right.

Steak is one of the easiest things to cook so there really is no excuse for a sub par one to be served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Mostly I will leave some sort of tip no matter what, If the service is extra good including manners /food/service they certainly would get an extra tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

if the service and food are good, then i will tip, around 12 to 15%.

if the service is crap, i wont tip and i will explain why (rarely happens, tbf)

however, i detest the attitude that tipping is mandatory, like in America. it is one of the things that really puts me off the place. i find their attitude and pushiness regarding it to be very off-putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A tip tip. :)
    Buy your barman a drink early in the evening. This repays you in so many ways. You'll find you can re-order with just a nod rather then fighting your way thorugh the hords 3 deep at busy bars. You'll notice that when pouring spirits the barman will have a generous overfill of the measure. You can pass up your turn at the bar to that rather attractive redhead standing beside you for Kudos and an opening gambet. You get invited to lockins. You get free shots when the barman is happy at the end of the night. You will be remembered next time you go into that bar again. It's the tip that keeps on giving.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Thats a brilliant idea goatie,must try that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Now that's a one I'm gonna try out.
    As in...
    "Are ye having something to drink?"
    "Yes please, a bottle of house red and whatever you're having yourself...."

Kind of way?
    Just asking cos it's not like the pub situation where the barman can actually have a drink with you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Yeah its weird,never did it before either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'd assume he'd have to drink it on the quiet,but if he did refuse the offer,he'd appreciate the thought I'm sure.

If it meant my coffee not arriving with the bill it'd be worth it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The barkeep will usually take the price of half a beer and keep the cash or take a drink at the end of the night when everyone has been kicked out.
    It's very common in the UK and by sheer force of habit I did it when I moved back home with wonderful results.

"...and take one for yourself." is the usual way of handling the situation.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

I rarely eat out, but when I do I tend to leave to lose change from my bill. But generally I will only give a proper tip if the service was very good, because as far as I’m concerned they are on the minimum wage and that plenty to live on.

But I do give taxi drivers a tip, mainly leave them keep the difference most of time, if the bill is €7 give them €10 like. They provide a good service and there are so many around these days that its harder for them to make good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Cicero wrote: »

I'm a fish chef and I can cook steak as well as any other type of food its useually down to people not knowing what there talking about...

costemers are never right ina kitchen only in front of hosue... ;)

plus if some one order well done its going in the deep fat fryer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If I'm ordering a Subway and the delivery guy waltzes to the door with semi-warm / relatively cold food and stands in the doorway taking 2 years to count out the change just itching for me to say "You know what, whatever, keep it"... I will casually stand there until they count out my change, take it and close the door without a word. I don't usually tip said services because up until recently I was a very very regular customer so they were pooling in quite a lot of money from just me as it was without tips.

As a former delivery guy (pizza) many moons ago, I use to hate the pricks who did this. A common order would come to £4.90 or £9.80 - and you would not believe the amount of people who would stand there, winters night, cold wind blowing into the house, pizza going cold, rain dripping down my face, waiting for me to give them 10 or 20p change. There is a circle of hell reserved for people like this, and by the way, it doesn't give you the moral highground - it simply makes you a dick. You would be suprised at what accidentally 'falls' into your food the next time you order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

MadsL wrote: »
    You would be suprised at what accidentally 'falls' into your food the next time you order.

THIS is what pisses me off about the food industry, People don't want to complain or are afraid not to tip, because they're afraid of what will be done to their food by the inconsiderate, unprofessional idiots who are cooking/delivering/serving the food.

If cooks, waiters and delivery drivers are that easily upset then they shouldn't be in the service industry. Fear of what a driver, waiter or cook might do is no reason to tip, and not complain if the food is wrong.

If I order a Pizza, and it is ridiculously late/ wrong order/ Cold on arrival, and I'm paying over €20 for said pizza then I want something done about it, and the threat of something being done to the replacement/ next delivery is juvenile and could end up with an angry customer sueing both the driver and the restaurant. And the driver most certainly will not be getting a tip.

And yes I will wait for MY change, It is after all MY money, and you have no idea of the financial status of the houses you are delivering to.

Personally I always tell the driver to keep the change if it is within a couple of Euro, IF I'm happy with the service i've received. But not because of the threat of what might happen to my food, and certainly not because I'm easy with my tips. If there's something wrong, the driver won't get a tip and the restaurant will get an angry phone call.

And the waiting around digging for change in every pocket in the hope of me giving in when the change is more than a couple of Euro, you can bet your arse that I'm waiting for my change.

Advertisement