Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'm in the country, Any pizza I order is from a place i used to chef in, I went to school with the delivery driver so I'll tip him the rest of a 20 if it comes under 18euro which it usually does.

I won't tip in bars as I've done alot of security for them but I will buy the bar man a drink at the end of the night as they always stay back for one before starting the clean up.

If it's a resturant(I rarely go) I'll generally tip 5e unless the server was being a right ****.

What I really don't get is people who tip they're tattoo artists. You're paying 70-120e an hour for a tattoo even if the artist is giving 40-50% to the studio once you take away the cost of needles and ink they're still mking a good profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

THIS is what pisses me off about the food industry

Which you have clearly never worked in.
    People don't want to complain or are afraid not to tip, because they're afraid of what will be done to their food by the inconsiderate, unprofessional idiots who are cooking/delivering/serving the food.

If cooks, waiters and delivery drivers are that easily upset then they shouldn't be in the service industry. Fear of what a driver, waiter or cook might do is no reason to tip, and not complain if the food is wrong

What level of competance do you expect from a Subway/Pizza 'chef'?

It's not a case of being upset, more that regular 'dicks' get known as 'oh, that arsehole' - and that communicates around that workplace. Regular tippers get fast service, and high quality food. How would you prefer that your local takeout sees you. Nice guy or Total pain in the ass? Tipping is pretty much how you communicate your attitude.

Complain to the manager if the food is wrong, the driver did his part correctly (you got it, didn't you) so no reason to punish him/her. In fact you will do better politely explaining the problem to the manager than giving out to the driver.
    I always tell the driver to keep the change if it is within a couple of Euro, IF I'm happy with the service i've received.

Which is as it should be, that was not clear from your post.

I was talking about those idiots who pay with a note, and the change you are looking for is about what you'd not bother to chase if it rolled into the road and they leave the delivery guy standing there (hating you with every ounce of his being at this stage because he has another two houses left on this run)
    And yes I will wait for MY change, It is after all MY money, and you have no idea of the financial status of the houses you are delivering to.

Now this I have an issue with. If you are broke, and are stiffing the driver a tip cus you are broke, then fking COOK! The consideration should not be can I afford the menu price, it should be can I afford the menu price + appropriate tip. Realise that many delivery drivers absolutely rely on tips (€7.65 per hour not that much now is it - if they are lucky enough to get it. Some drivers have to supply their own vehicle/insurance/fuel out of that.)
    And the waiting around digging for change in every pocket in the hope of me giving in when the change is more than a couple of Euro, you can bet your arse that I'm waiting for my change.
    I always tell the driver to keep the change if it is within a couple of Euro

So luck of the draw for the driver, s/he gets a tip based on what you feel like for dinner!! :rolleyes:

If your bill is €18.25 you give him/her a €20 and say keep the change. Fair play.

But if your bill is €15.95, are you physically incapable of saying "Take €18"? I think you will find the driver will find a €2 coin a hell of a lot faster.

I think you will find that the rooting around is the driver waiting for you to do some basic courtesy and name a tip amount s/he should take. They are really not expecting €4.05 as a tip. You might want to think about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I remember living in canada the general rules was tip 15% for average/good service 10% for poor service.
    no one should ever give a tip if service is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'll tip if the service is good, and won't if it's bad. i don't see an inbetween at all. it's like hotornot, the girls are either hot or not. none of this 6/10 malarky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

MadsL wrote: »

Actually I have.

I expect someone who is able to do the job they're employed to do to the best of their ability.
    It's not a case of being upset, more that regular 'dicks' get known as 'oh, that arsehole' - and that communicates around that workplace. Regular tippers get fast service, and high quality food. How would you prefer that your local takeout sees you. Nice guy or Total pain in the ass? Tipping is pretty much how you communicate your attitude.

Giving preferential treatment to some customers and not to others is not professional. At the end of the day the customers pay for the food, which pays the drivers wages. A tip is given if the overall service is worthy of one. Not just one element.
    Complain to the manager if the food is wrong, the driver did his part correctly (you got it, didn't you) so no reason to punish him/her. In fact you will do better politely explaining the problem to the manager than giving out to the driver.

Well done, bualla bos, the driver did his job and got my food to me, that's what he gets paid for. Did he go above and beyond in an effort to earn a tip from me??? that is the question.

I don't believe I ever said I'd give out to the driver. I believe I said that the driver won't get a tip and the restaurant would get a call if i didn't believe everything was up to scratch.

But something I made clear in other posts in this thread.
    I was talking about those idiots who pay with a note, and the change you are looking for is about what you'd not bother to chase if it rolled into the road and they leave the delivery guy standing there (hating you with every ounce of his being at this stage because he has another two houses left on this run)

Two houses left on a run is not my problem, in this instance. It's your job and if you're not happy about having to deliver food then food delivery is obviously not the career you should be in.

Now this I have an issue with. If you are broke, and are stiffing the driver a tip cus you are broke, then fking COOK! The consideration should not be can I afford the menu price, it should be can I afford the menu price + appropriate tip. Realise that many delivery drivers absolutely rely on tips (€7.65 per hour not that much now is it - if they are lucky enough to get it. Some drivers have to supply their own vehicle/insurance/fuel out of that.)

So what you're saying is that someone who's down on their luck can't treat themselves once in a while by splashing out on some feel good food??? Appropriate tip is all well and good if deserved. I find lately it is not deserved with drivers who are rude and don't know their way around. Having to call you a number of times to find a house that anyone with a brain could find....even after being there a number of times.

I know a lot of people who survive on minimum wage, and a lot who survive on less. Tipping came into being in USA due to waitresses earning pittance. That is why it is pretty much seen as compulsory to tip over there. Here we have a minimum wage which is calculated for people to be able to survive on. You'll never have a lavish lifestyle on minimum wage, and I shouldn't have to pay for someone who wants to live outside their means. Especially if they've done nothing above and beyond the call of duty to earn a tip.

So luck of the draw for the driver, s/he gets a tip based on what you feel like for dinner!! :rolleyes:

If your bill is €18.25 you give him/her a €20 and say keep the change. Fair play.

But if your bill is €15.95, are you physically incapable of saying "Take €18"? I think you will find the driver will find a €2 coin a hell of a lot faster.

I think you will find that the rooting around is the driver waiting for you to do some basic courtesy and name a tip amount s/he should take. They are really not expecting €4.05 as a tip. You might want to think about that.

No, s/he gets a tip based on whether I think the service was worth it, If there's a delivery charge I don't tip. If a restaurant charges more for delivery food than collection food I don't tip. If the restaurant charges fairly, and the driver is pleasent and gets me my proper order on time then they get a tip. Grumpy f*ckers can go whistle.

I'm not going to be pressured into giving my money to someone who tries to bully me into giving a tip, by taking their sweet time digging for change.

I also take it (seeing as you completely left it out in your reply to me) that you now agree that the threat of interfering with someones food to make a point about tipping is not only stupid but dangerous...and if caught out could be disasterous for not only the driver but also the restaurant. Costing the driver their job and the restaurant being closed down and sued for unhygenic food practices.

• Advertisement

So you have worked in the food industry...tell me, were you a "inconsiderate, unprofessional idiot" too? I'm guessing no one shared tips with you?
    someone who tries to bully me into giving a tip, by taking their sweet time digging for change

:rolleyes: Dear lord, you must have had a rough time at school. Frankly that is pathetic. Either give a tip or have the balls to say "No tip, you didn't meet my high standards in a delivery driver this time - try to improve!!" All this silent fuming can't be good for your blood pressure.

Explain to me how you get in this situation again; why don't you say something before they have to go digging???
    Did he go above and beyond in an effort to earn a tip from me???

What exactly are you expecting from this driver?? Showing up to your door 30 seconds later in a top hat & cane, on roller skates ??

What the hell is 'above and beyond?' - prune your roses while they wait for you answer the door? Gimme a break.
    Having to call you a number of times to find a house that anyone with a brain could find

Happen a lot does it...
    House number clearly marked? Is it visible at night? Porch Light on? Did you think to add some helpful directions - "Red Mazda parked outside, Green door" etc.
    Giving preferential treatment to some customers and not to others is not professional

I'm not sure what profession you work in, but I sure as hell bet you have a definition of a 'good customer'. They probably get 'special' treatment.
    you now agree that the threat of interfering with someones food to make a point about tipping is not only stupid but dangerous

I'm not condoning it, just letting you know that it happens.

To be honest we could go back and forth all night on this, so good luck going through life begruding a couple of euro to someone who provides a service to you. You may be in their situation one day, rather than the three months you spent behind the counter at McDonald that summer.

Personally I find if you are nice (ie tip, or are pleasant in dealing with service staff) it brings it's own rewards. You have no idea how much I have pushed proper service to any staff I have managed, the trouble is that people like you who do the whole 'but it's your job' routine or "If there's a delivery charge I don't tip." or whatever excuse you have thought up this week, are actually driving standards down

And by the way this is a Gentlemen's forum, WWAGD??

So you have worked in the food industry...tell me, were you a "inconsiderate, unprofessional idiot" too? I'm guessing no one shared tips with you?

:rolleyes: Dear lord, you must have had a rough time at school. Frankly that is pathetic. Either give a tip or have the balls to say "No tip, you didn't meet my high standards in a delivery driver this time - try to improve!!" All this silent fuming can't be good for your blood pressure.

What exactly are you expecting from this driver?? Showing up to your door 30 seconds later in a top hat & cane, on roller skates ??

What the hell is 'above and beyond?' - prune your roses while they wait for you answer the door? Gimme a break.

Happen a lot does it...
    House number clearly marked? Is it visible at night? Porch Light on? Did you think to add some helpful directions - "Red Mazda parked outside, Green door" etc.

I'm not sure what profession you work in, but I sure as hell bet you have a definition of a 'good customer'. They probably get 'special' treatment.

I'm not condoning it, just letting you know that it happens.

To be honest we could go back and forth all night on this, so good luck going through life begruding a couple of euro to someone who provides a service to you. You may be in their situation one day, rather than the three months you spent behind the counter at McDonald that summer.

Have you even read my other posts on this thread??? You're making a lot of assumptions about me in your posts which couldn't be further from the truth, and if you read other posts I have made in this thread you would know that.

You have a bee in your bonnet because I said that making threats about interfering with a persons food is dangerous and childish.

We thankfully don't live in a country where tipping is expected as a right. In Ireland we get to chose whether to tip or not based on whether or not we believe the service was up to scratch. We have a decent minimum wage which means you don't have to rely on tips to survive if you live within your means. You get this payment for doing your job. If you provide a good and efficient service and go out of your way to make my experience as a customer that bit better then and only then will you get a tip.

I got many tips when I worked in the food industry, because I was a good worker who tried my best to ensure that every person I served had a great experience....It's called professionalism. Tipping isn't compulsory, If you don't fight for it then you don't deserve it.

I give very clear directions to a very easy to find house, Drivers still get it wrong and I have to come out to find the driver.

Here's a very good guide to tipping in Ireland. You seem to think that I should be blindly tipping every person I come in contact with that provides a service. I believe that a tip should only be given when deserved. ie exceptional service provided.

90% of the time I tip delivery drivers. However when I have to leave my house and walk to the end of the block because the driver cannot follow simple instructions I don't tip. When my food is over 45 mins coming and then arrives almost cold, I don't tip. When a driver is dawdling over the change in the hope that I'll say keep it I don't tip.

When a driver is courteous, polite, prompt and just completes the transaction without making me feel uncomfortable on my own doorstep then I will tip.
    Personally I find if you are nice (ie tip, or are pleasant in dealing with service staff) it brings it's own rewards. You have no idea how much I have pushed proper service to any staff I have managed, the trouble is that people like you who do the whole 'but it's your job' routine or "If there's a delivery charge I don't tip." or whatever excuse you have thought up this week, are actually driving standards down

Basically here what you're saying is tip or you'll get a bad service, how can you not see that this is completely the wrong attitude to take. Surely you should be able to see that it is the opposite way for any well adjusted normal thinking person.

If you do a good job, and make me feel like I've had an enjoyable experience by choosing to spend my hard earned money with your company then I will tip.

If you go around with a chip on your shoulder thinking that you deserve a tip for just showing up and doing your job then you are delusional and haven't a clue about how the world works.

You get paid for doing a job, you get extra for doing a very good job....not in the hope you'll do a very good job.

I really don't know how I can break my point down any simpler for you.

EDIT:On your last little jab at me, WWAGD, I presume you mean what would a Gentleman do? Well firstly a gentleman wouldn't leave an obscure accronym and would spell out exactly what he means. Then a gentleman would pay for his items and if he believed the service was worthy of a tip then and only then provide one. A gentleman would never tip a person for simply doing the job he is paid for, as a gentleman knows the ettiquette of the place he is in and then conforms to that ettiquette. If said Gentleman was in the USA he would tip as a matter of course as that is the ettiquette in that country. In Ireland I would expect a gentleman to tip only when a tip is deserved as that is the ettiquette in this country.

If 90% of the time you tip, then I'm not sure what you are getting so worked up about. You seem to be the one with the bee in the bonnet about how long it takes to get your change:

Three scenarios.

Scenario A
    The driver is courteous, polite, prompt and just completes the transaction without making you feel uncomfortable on my own doorstep

€18 please!
    Here's a twenty, keep the change.
    Thank you, enjoy your meal.

Scenario B
    Driver is late, food cold.
    you say: Here's twenty, I normally tip but you are late/food is cold etc.
    Driver apologises, goes back chews out slow chef etc.

Scenario C
    Driver is late, food cold.
    You say: nothing
    Driver fumbles awkwardly
    You fume...

What you seem upset about is your inability to open your mouth and complain in Scenario C. The reason this drives standards down is because the driver cannot tell if you are a) Annoyed about something or b) Just a tightwad. Unless you open your mouth, then nothing changes in the quality of service you receive.
    Basically here what you're saying is tip or you'll get a bad service, how can you not see that this is completely the wrong attitude to take.

i'm actually saying quite the opposite - I'm saying either tip or explain why you are not tipping. It is reasonable to tip a small amount for normal service, if something is wrong then say so - either to the driver or to the manager.
    If you go around with a chip on your shoulder thinking that you deserve a tip for just showing up and doing your job then you are delusional and haven't a clue about how the world works.

The antithesis of how I feel, my service level was exceptional when I worked in service jobs because I do know how the world works and have travelled enought to see it working. I tend not to get uncomfortable on my own doorstep by the way.

I don't really know how I can make it any simpler for you to avoid scenario C. Grow a pair maybe?

Oh, and those 'guides to tipping' are crock - working an fairly expensive cocktail bar in Prague I got so sick of Americans who had 'read the guidebooks' on tipping. I would put heart and soul into a stunningly garnished cocktail, and they would round up 1-2% of the drink's price as they had read that tipping was done that way in the guide books even though $1 -$2 would be a basic tip in the US.

How do you not get that by not tipping in you scenario C I'm voting with my wallet, they say actions speak louder than words. How better to put my point across as to my displeasure than with my actions...ie not tipping.

You yourself agreed with this earlier by saying
    MadsL wrote:
    Tipping is pretty much how you communicate your attitude.

I don't believe arguing with a delivery driver at my door will help anything (especially given the majority of drivers these days have poor to non-existant English), I've already told you that in that scenario I will call the restaurant and voice my concerns with management who have the power to do something.

Generally I would agree with you on the guides to tipping, however that one I believe is very reflective of tipping in Ireland. ie tipping is not compulsory but is appreciated when given for a job well done.

Congratulations on having travelled, I have travelled too and seen many wonderful things, that is horrible about what happened you in Prague, Only problem is we're not talking about Prague, we're not talking about Sydney, Singapore, New York, Honolulu, Moscow, Kiev, etcetc.....

We're talking about Limerick, Dublin, Cork, Waterford etc. Where the ettiquette for tipping is if the service was exceptional, and the customer feels it is deserved then a tip may be furnished. Otherwise take it as a hint to get yourself sorted and maybe next time you will get a tip.

My bee'd bonnet was in relation to your ascertation that if people didn't tip that they would wind up with all sorts of nefarious extras thrown on top of their order.
    MadsL wrote:
    You would be suprised at what accidentally 'falls' into your food the next time you order.

Since then the bee has grown out of anger at the idea that tipping should be done in order to improve service.
    MadsL wrote:
    Regular tippers get fast service, and high quality food. How would you prefer that your local takeout sees you. Nice guy or Total pain in the ass?

The reason my bee has grown by a very large amount is that, I believe the opposite, that service should improve to ensure tipping. Also I would like my local takeout to see me as a valued customer, from whom they would like repeat business and will pull out all the stops, in order to ensure that I will order from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ThunderDome. :D

Who made the list of people that occasionally get tips and those that don't?
    Those who do...
    Barstaff, taxi drivers, waiting staff, barbers, delivery dudes, binmen at christmas.
    Those who don't...
    Bus drivers, aircrew, shop assistants, emergency response crew, newsagents, Moderators.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

<fumbles with change>

There really is no excuse for a delivery boy with even 1 hour experience on the job to find himself fumbling for 20c change in the rain. He is only bringing it on himself. Strange to hear someone who claims to have worked this job saying something like this. It makes me doubt the people claiming it are not being honest about their past jobs.

It took me less than 1 hour into the job to cop that if an order comes to a price like that... then you do not get out of your car or off your cycle without the correct change ready..... you do not have to stand at the door in the rain routing around to give the guy the change he is standing there rightfully expecting.

It does not take 5 minutes before leaving the restaurant with a batch of deliveries to know what the total of each order is and to make sure I had correct change ready for each in those easy access pocket coin holders you could get 3 for a euro in any euro shop.

If a delivery guy after more than a few days of experience is still standing in the rain trying to find the change to give the guy he just delivered to... then this is either grossly incompetent.... or he is trying to wrangle a tip by guilting people into giving him one and so he deserves to stand there in the rain.

Tips are not a right, or something you rightfully expect. They are something you earn.... and you will find if you are at the door with the order and the change ready before they even get to the door.... they will realise you have done your job efficiently and more often than not you get the tip. In fact more often than not I found not only would I then get to keep the change I was proffering to them but the person at the door will have a coin or two more palmed ready to add to it which you also get for having done your job well.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Buy your barman a drink early in the evening. This repays you in so many ways.

Agreed, I learned this one in England myself where it is more common to buy them a drink than in Ireland as they are actually allowed drink behind the bar there. First round I get in any bar there would always end in ".... and whatever you are having yourself".

Another trick though is to give a large tip in your regular local at Christmas. Nothing so big as to break the bank, but big enough to be memorable. Stands to you for the next year, not just the night.

delivery boy
    :P
    doubt the people claiming it are not being honest about their past jobs.

Need a CV?
    off your cycle without the correct change ready.

Put bike on stand, take off helmet, juggle helmet, pizza, gloves & docket. ring doorbell, look at amount. 99% of people say "sure, keep the change". Then you get the exception. We are talking about 1 - 2% of the total bill here. Most people wouldn't bend over to pick this up off the street.
    grossly incompetent

Cop yourself on.

Well if "cop yourself on" is the standard of response you are capable of then I am not surprised having exact change ready proved to be such an intellectual challange.

Thankfully some of us suffer from no such handicap and as I said getting a couple of those little coin holders, 3 for a euro, and sticking them in your pocket provides easy access to change, no fumbling required. Knowing what the bill is before you get to the door also helps, preferably even before leaving the place that cooked the food. Of course this requires the intellectual ability to retain a number in your head for more than 20 minutes... not a skill everyone has I guess.

There is simply no good excuse for being incapable to do these things. If it proved to be an issue for you then this says more about you than it does about anyone else who was involved in the transactions. I had just as many gloves, helmets, coins and responsibilities as you and I never had an issue.... which as I said just fills me with doubts that you ever worked in the role you claim to have.

We are talking about 1 - 2% of the total bill here. Most people wouldn't bend over to pick this up off the street.

That's not the point. The point is that when a tip is given must be deserved. If it is not deserved then it shouldn't be given.

I believe and it would appear that others on this thread believe that a person doing the job they're employed to do, and doing it to the bare minimum of what is required does not deserve a tip.

However someone who goes out of their way to ensure that your thoroughly enjoy your experience in dealing with the company will be tipped.

I don't care if it's an amount i wouldn't pick up off the street, I don't care if it's an amount I'd physically throw away (not bloody likely, but trying to make a point). If it's not deserved then I will not give it. If it is deserved then I will, and I don't think someone just barely doing their job as being deserving of a tip, I also don't believe someone who does their job incompetently is deserving of a tip, even if it is only 1-2%.

In this interests of 'sensible' discussion I'm gonna make this this last post before myself an foinse have at it with straight razors in the Thunderdome :D

There are at least 3 points of view on tipping but there have been a few hysterical comments in this thread. TaxAHcruel doubts I have even worked in the food industry, trust me I have, and am very glad not to have to do so now, at least for the moment. Not having 20p in your hand really isn't "gross incompetance" though. Do get a grip. :rolleyes:

So, enough.

Please tip your moderator on your way out.

In this interests of 'sensible' discussion I'm gonna make this this last post before myself an foinse have at it with straight razors in the Thunderdome :D

There are at least 3 points of view on tipping but there have been a few hysterical comments in this thread. TaxAHcruel doubts I have even worked in the food industry, trust me I have, and am very glad not to have to do so now, at least for the moment. Not having 20p in your hand really isn't "gross incompetance" though. Do get a grip. :rolleyes:

So, enough.

Please tip your moderator on your way out.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

oh and thanks for posting the sigpic in the straight razor thread.

I can honestly see no other valid term for it other than incompetence. However since you either never worked in the industry, or no longer do, then the point is entirely mute. So really the only point in replying now is as advice to anyone else who may be, or in the future might be, in such a job....

You know from the moment you leave the restaurant where the food comes from that the bill is €9.80. You have ample time between one door and the other to calculate the change from a tenner will be 20c. You therefore have ample time to find a moment to prepare that 20c other than standing in the rain before the customer’s door.

Having 3 coin holders one of only 10c, one of 20 and one of 50 is also incredibly easy to prepare so no fumbling is required at any time. You merely whip out a coin holder and flick out the required coin. The average coin holder holds 8 coins. You could get them 3 of them in the old pound shops.

This not only makes your experience of the job better, it removes the customer experience described above of a delivery guy fumbling around for coins like a man in a strait jacket trying to scratch his own nose.

As I said I found more often than not that this simple improvement on my part in the quality of service not only meant I always got to keep the change… but I usually received more tip in the form of a coin or two the customer had palmed and hidden until such time as he or she had decided if my service warranted a further tip or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

:rolleyes: If the delivery person isn't an idiot, they could have the change ready.

It's also none of your business how a person affords their food. They are able to pay the price quoted (which probably includes the delivery charge funnily enough) so that's that.

Tipping is not an obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's not a case of being upset, more that regular 'dicks' get known as 'oh, that arsehole' - and that communicates around that workplace. Regular tippers get fast service, and high quality food..

All customers should get fast service and high quality food (as high quality as you'll get in a t/a anyway...). That's your/the takeaway's job. Not sitting around deciding to act unprofessional because you're not getting enough free money from people for doing what you are supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If there's no service charge on the bill and the waiter/waitress who was serving me was very efficient and pleasant I'll tip them two or three euro or if there's a big group of us and they did a good job under the circumstances.

When it comes to the likes of takeaways I'd give the driver any spare change left over under 2 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

foinse wrote: »

Also people, check your bill, if there's a service charge on it, DO NOT LEAVE A TIP, you're tipping twice.

Not in all cases. In some restaurants, the service charge isn't received by the waiting staff -- I used to work somewhere that tacked on a 5% service charge that we never saw! We were all on minimum wage as well, so it's not like our wages were higher as a result or anything.

If I see a service charge on a bill, I always ask my server if they receive that directly, same with adding a tip to a credit card payment. If not, I give them cash and complain to management.

PS: NOT paying the service charge (which some nice customers tried to do when informed that the service charge didn't go to me) just left me worse off, as I had to cover that in my cashout at the end of the night anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Long time no see Shelby!

/waves

I can honestly see no other valid term for it other than incompetence. However since you either never worked in the industry, or no longer do, then the point is entirely mute. So really the only point in replying now is as advice to anyone else who may be, or in the future might be, in such a job....

You know from the moment you leave the restaurant where the food comes from that the bill is €9.80. You have ample time between one door and the other to calculate the change from a tenner will be 20c. You therefore have ample time to find a moment to prepare that 20c other than standing in the rain before the customer’s door.

Having 3 coin holders one of only 10c, one of 20 and one of 50 is also incredibly easy to prepare so no fumbling is required at any time. You merely whip out a coin holder and flick out the required coin. The average coin holder holds 8 coins. You could get them 3 of them in the old pound shops.

This not only makes your experience of the job better, it removes the customer experience described above of a delivery guy fumbling around for coins like a man in a strait jacket trying to scratch his own nose.

As I said I found more often than not that this simple improvement on my part in the quality of service not only meant I always got to keep the change… but I usually received more tip in the form of a coin or two the customer had palmed and hidden until such time as he or she had decided if my service warranted a further tip or not.

incompetance or "gross incompetance" which I believe was the term you used.

Just so you know, I did work as a delievery driver many years ago - and as I have indicated in previous posts have had many service/food jobs up to and including GM. I don't see why you continue to insist that I haven't when you don't know me, but such is your perogative.

When I was working as a delivery driver we were not given a float, it was basically up to us to deal with change - fair enough, I would show up to work with £10 - 15 in change most nights and as I was riding teh mighty Honda 90 this would be in a bumbag worn at the front (notes in the back, coins in the front). Now if you were lucky, midway through a shift you still had change (your fancy coin holders didn't exist in my day, at least I never saw one) - often more common change coins got a bit scarce - hence the rooting around. Also we also had the student type (student town) who would save up their 1 and 2 pence pieces and lob them at you in a plastic bag. :rolleyes:

Dockets were stuffed into a pocket on the top of the pizza bag, so it would often be the case that you would not see the price until literally ringing the doorbell.

Often friday - Sat nights you would be sent out with 4, 5 orders on board, no GPS or smart phones in those days, hell I didn't even have a mobile!! Never mind being mr smart with 20p in hand, I had lots more to think about remembering and finding addresses in the rain dodging taxis.

So incompetant, hardly - "grossly incompetant" :rolleyes: get real.

I said, I'd drop this and agree to disagree, but you keep calling me a lair, so here I am. I'll bet you drive around in comfort, in a car, with GPS - so I'll call you out: post a pic of you with your moped and a taxAHcruel sign (you can blank out the company and faces if you wish)

If you want you can ring this place -

<mod snip>

bluewolf wrote: »
    All customers should get fast service and high quality food (as high quality as you'll get in a t/a anyway...). That's your/the takeaway's job. Not sitting around deciding to act unprofessional because you're not getting enough free money from people for doing what you are supposed to.

...and in the real world...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

...and in the real world...

Yes, in the real world.

Yes, in the real world.

Any industry has 'favourite customers' or VIPs or whatever. They get special treatment.

Generally in the service industry for management it is big spenders or high profile customers. For service staff it is those who tip and tip well.

You surely understand how that works?

Let's take your delivery example. You have two addresses, both regular customers. They are the roughly same distance from the takeaway and you have to deliver both in one run. Customer A is a good tipper, Customer B "doesn't believe in giving free money"

Who will get their food first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greenet

I generally always tip! 10% but thats a rough estimate, usually depends on how the food was, how much change I have and the service!

And at no point during all this alleged experience did you learn how to have change ready for obvious things like a 9.80 bill? Wow. Just... wow. The reason I doubt your work experience claims is because I find it easier to think that you did not work the jobs you claim you did than it is to imagine you worked in them that long and could not perform such a basic function.

I also never found myself running out of coins either. Obtaining more was always easily done either at the place I worked, or some other store about town. Though since my skilled service of being able to have a coin ready meant I more often than not got tipped well... it was rare I ended a night with less coins than I started. More often than not it was more coins than I started with.

Nor is dockets being stuffed anywhere an excuse for anything. One always has ample time to pull them out and check them and put them back.

Not sure what GPS, Smart Phones or mobiles have to do with anything that we are talking about here. I did not have them either nor did I require them. The coin holders have been around for as long as I can remember. I am sure I had one when I was a 10 year old. You got them in pound shops. They were 3 for a pound.

However as I said it was most likely just incompetance on your part. All the excuses you are making about bum bags, dockets, coin shortages and more are all things I faced too. Strangely I was able to over come them all and perform the massively complex and barely attainable skill of having change ready. Why you could not is beyond me and as I said I benefitted from doing so with bigger tips and happier customers which of course also helped to allay any problems of running out of coins and more. Clearly it simply was not a job you were cut out for. People are good at some jobs and not others. This clearly was one that was not for you.
    post a pic of you with your moped and a taxAHcruel sign

Firstly I have nothing to prove to you so I would not do this anyway. Secondly however... please at least try and pay some attention to what I write if you intend to reply to it. Did I at any stage in this thread use the present tense about my working in such roles? Ever? No. Past tense only. I neither still work in that role, nor to I still own a bike, nor did I claim either at any point here ever. I am here talking about jobs I had years ago, before, during and for a short period after college. I am a long time out of college now.

• Advertisement

this alleged experience

Short of getting my ex-employer to write you a letter of reference, I'm not sure what else to give you - I've already posted details about my personal life that I rarely, if ever, do online. If you persist with calling me a liar I have no choice but infer that you are simply trolling and ask the mods to intervene.
    my skilled service of being able to have a coin ready

Seriously, would you ever get over yourself. I'm delighted that you were such a model (as you say) "delivery boy". I bet your co-workers thought you were a smug (insert insult of your choosing), however.
    coin holders have been around for as long as I can remember. I am sure I had one when I was a 10 year old.

Yes, I would imagine you had one as a ten year old. :rolleyes:
    Clearly it simply was not a job you were cut out for. People are good at some jobs and not others. This clearly was one that was not for you.

Clearly not, given that I was promoted to Asst Manager and then given my own branch as Manager, and was also offered Manager of his bar before I left for Prague where I spent 3 years running various places including 2 years as GM of a Jazz Bar. Clearly my bosses/owners didn't share your low opinion of me.

If you honestly believe that failing to have change ready for a €10 note on a €9.80 delivery is "grossly incompetant" - if you ever have managerial responsibility and write that one up you'll wind up in court.

I have fired people for the following;
    Stealing
    Drug Dealing on the premises
    Being massively over on their floor float (way beyond what they could have made on tips)
    Failing to show up for work on more than one occasion
    Calling in sick and then running into me at another bar
    Throwing a shot glass at my bouncers head
    Showing up for work high

Failing to have 20p in your hand really doesn't make it onto my list. Some take their time giving change as an "encouragement" to tip, others like yourself do it differently. Horses for courses. Speaking of horses, aren't you getting giddy on that high one?

Tell you what, you stop calling me liar and and we'll just agree to disagree.

Advertisement