Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free iphone with 3. BIG SCAM?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just to let people know my experience. I tried to sign up and get the FREE iphone 4 with 3 mobile and they tried to charge me €150 deposit which might be refunded in 12-15 months. I left the shop cos the whole thing is a big scam!

I was curious was it the shop or actually 3 mobile so I tried to sign up online. Got a call from India (3 customer service) telling me unless I pay €150 (no longer referred to as a deposit) I can't have the phone. I argued that no where on the website or in the ads does it make reference to this €150 and SHE HUNG UP on me! Next min later I got an email saying my order had been cancelled!

Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

janbaby wrote: »
    Just to let people know my experience. I tried to sign up and get the FREE iphone 4 with 3 mobile and they tried to charge me €150 deposit which might be refunded in 12-15 months. I left the shop cos the whole thing is a big scam!

I was curious was it the shop or actually 3 mobile so I tried to sign up online. Got a call from India (3 customer service) telling me unless I pay €150 (no longer referred to as a deposit) I can't have the phone. I argued that no where on the website or in the ads does it make reference to this €150 and SHE HUNG UP on me! Next min later I got an email saying my order had been cancelled!

Its a deposit, you'll surely get it back... and this is not unheard of either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It seems once you have been credit checked, that result is retained for six months. No matter when or how you re-apply within six months, the result will be the same.

It may not be pleasant, but it is not a scam. Nor are Three alone in seeking deposits. The deposit is offset against your bill (or refunded to you). The cost after 24 months with a deposit is exactly the same as without one. The handset is still free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Did they tell you they were calling from India?

Every mobile operator that I have dealt with, Meteor 02 & 3, have all asked for a security deposit when I was taking out my bill phone with them. They hold onto it for 6 months. If you pay all your bills on time, then you will get it back in a cheque, or else you can use the option of taking it off your monthly bill.

It is not a scam as you put it. But common practice for all the operators I have dealt with. They are giving you a phone work over €600, for €40 a month. They do need some sort of a deposit if you haven't had a bill phone with them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Have you had a billphone before? depends on how you've been credit scored, they obviously cant have "150 deposit required if you're deemed a security risk" written on the ads now can they? its internal practice and all the mobile networks do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Thanks for explaining it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eugenevanas

hi eugene here i had problems with 3 customer service in India wish they told me they are in for some time now. their practice stinks......... anyway i was a 3 also just now and were asked for a 150 euro deposit ....now im with 3 for 3 years now on best of both acc............ there is nothing on advert that is saying that there will be an 150 deposit required:mad: for any reason..... scam scam no but fals advertising an big yes:mad::eek::(:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

hi eugene here i had problems with 3 customer service in India wish they told me they are in for some time now. their practice stinks......... anyway i was a 3 also just now and were asked for a 150 euro deposit ....now im with 3 for 3 years now on best of both acc............ there is nothing on advert that is saying that there will be an 150 deposit required:mad: for any reason..... scam scam no but fals advertising an big yes:mad::eek::(:mad:
    Have you read any of the posts on this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eugenevanas

yes i did i stil say its fals advertising.
    there should at least be in small print terms and conditions apply.
    there is nothing stating that it is subject an credit check ar anything in such way.

and im with3 for so long already:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I think the small print on the adverts does say "sucject to 24 month minimum term, credit check"

The €150 is not a charge, but a deposit, as a result of the credit check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had bill phones for years and never missed a payment on anything in my life and still got charged the deposit. After 6 months it gets given back or taken off the bill. Not a big deal really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

My main problem is that the website has "iphone 4 completely free. Thats right, no catch, get the iPhone 4 for Free on our €40 a month plan with all you can eat data".
    I was annoyed when I was then asked for €150 - to me thats a catch! I completely understand why you would pay a deposit and its even cheaper than buying a phone on the other networks I just feel that its false and misleading advertising. When I comment on this fact with the 3 customer service lady she hung up on me! Hardly customer service orientated.

I had no idea before that other networks look for a deposit too so that seems to be the norm now but they shouldn't presume that everyone knows that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

My main problem is that the website has "iphone 4 completely free. Thats right, no catch, get the iPhone 4 for Free on our €40 a month plan with all you can eat data".

Oh for the love of god, THE iPHONE IS FREE! The €150 is [NEON LIGHTS] not a charge [/NEON LIGHTS], it's the same as a deposit if you rent a suit, a car, a boat or a house!!!! you get it back, a security deposit to make sure people don't signup and feck off

Don't see how you're upset by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Oh for the love of god, THE iPHONE IS FREE!

i posted this in the bargain alert thread, but i don't see how the iphone is free - if you supply your own phone, you can get the same plan for €30 per month (i'm on it myself). So for signing up for a 2 year contract you pay €10 more per month - so to my mind, you're paying €240 for the iphone 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

This thread needs locking to avoid anymore confusion... name change too seeing as its quite defamatory to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dmcg90 wrote: »
    This thread needs locking to avoid anymore confusion... name change too seeing as its quite defamatory to three.

Ye I think it has run its course, and the answer is clear that its a deposit for the handset and not a scam.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement