Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abusive texts from US number

Options
  • 26-04-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

A good friend of mine has been stalked for the last few months, it's getting completely out of control now as the stalker is contacting her business associates (listed on her Business website) and sending old facebook photos around, basically is going to ALOT of trouble to drag my friend's name through the mud.
    Since this has happened my friend has closed her FB and twitter profiles. However she continues to get harassed via email (fake hotmail and yahoo accounts set up under friends name), constant phone calls (number withheld) and abusive Text messages (from a US number). Her friends / family have also received horrible texts and emails from said stalker - all abusing and directed at her.

Is there any way of tracking the US text messages back? The texts all come from the SAME american number. There seem to be tonnes of websites which allow anonymous text messages to be sent. Seems absolutely crazy to me - stalker heaven. Has anyone had any experience of this type of thing? Surely we can do something with that number?

The guards have said they can't do anything - she has been to see them twice. No direct threats have been made - yet, but the texts and emails are absolutely vile, and very disruptive when being phoned 20 times a day.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Probably easier to just change number?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

Well its her business mobile so she's not keen to do that, but a valid suggestion. I think she would really like to find out who this pr1ck is, as they seem to know her pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

I'm pretty sure you can get a specific number blocked by your service provider - did she try ringing her SP to see what they could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'm not sure what network you're with but with O2 you can block texts from numbers. Not sure if it'll work for international numbers but you can try it. It's free.

http://help.o2online.ie/kb/ps?type=search&search=1&searchtype=2&c=12&cid=21&cpc=&searchstring=3633

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Several Samsung models allow you to block numbers on the handset.

Frankly the statement by the guards that they can do nothing - if indeed they really said that - is BS. You said the stalker has made "constant phone calls" from a withheld number. The Guards would have no problem in identifying the originating number by telling the service provider to divulge it. Then they can identify the individual and take action.

I would suggest your friend lodge a written formal complaint with the guards giving exact times and dates of the harassing calls from the withheld numbers. I suspect if formal channels are followed, rather than just a phone call, the Guards will do something - they are obliged to and there are steps that can be taken if they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

"Frankly the statement by the guards that they can do nothing - if indeed they really said that - is BS."

Ye - I made it up, for kicks.
    If you read my post more carefully you'll see she has visited the the guards IN PERSON twice and provided evidence of emails, texts and phone calls. They are too busy / not arsed when there is no perceived threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Suebee wrote: »
    "Frankly the statement by the guards that they can do nothing - if indeed they really said that - is BS."

Ye - I made it up, for kicks.
    If you read my post more carefully you'll see she has visited the the guards IN PERSON twice and provided evidence of emails, texts and phone calls. They are too busy / not arsed when there is no perceived threat.

Perhaps your friend should talk to a solicitor or just buy a phone that lets you block numbers, no doubt the cheapest option.

I was not suggesting you made anything up, but you are reporting something which someone else told you someone else said, hence my hedging.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Here's everything I know about malicious calls. Hope it's of use.

The US number is probably some online SMS provider run out of the USA. This may be why the Gardaí won't go after it. The other calls, however, are in their reach if they originated in Ireland.

Your friend should list the calls she's received, bring these to a different Garda station and make a complaint. It's an offence to make malicious calls in this country, and has been for a very long time ( Section 13 of the Post Office (Amendment) Act, 1951 ), so don't take "no" for an answer.

The Gardaí can get the number of the caller from the network operator, and they will take it from there. They will not disclose the number to your friend, though.

You can also ask your operator to block the number, even if it's hidden from you (there's no such thing as a hidden number for the network operator). This one will need a bit more work, and you'll have to do it in writing, but it is possible.

If the calls are abusive, ask her to get a call recorder application, and record them as evidence. I guess there's no voice at all, as that would identify the caller (stalkers are usually known to their victims).

The best solution is to shut the number, but as a business phone, it's not practical.

Advertisement