Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designated Hen Area

Options
  • 26-04-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

hi all

I am currently doing up my rear garden (small residential garden) and have allocated a corner of the garden for 2 hens. Its roughly 2/3 sq m.

I am a total newbie for owning hens and have a few questions.

1. At the moment the garden is all grass. I am putting down a patio area and getting a wall rebuilt. Seeing that i have the workmen in would it be a good idea to have some sort of concrete base underneath the coop or should the coopp just be placed direct on grass area?

2. I intend to buy something like this http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/73/53508373.html which will be inside a larger sized pen/run. Any comments?

3. Alot of people say that hens are very dirty, smellly and attract rats. Generally these comments come from people who have no idea about animals and upkeep etc but from an experts point of view are they naysayers in generall correct?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Also, I am based in North Dublin Suburb if anyone has a contact on where to buy hens.

Regards

Potsy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

The house is nice! House size doesnt matter as much as run size, all my hens pile ontop of each other in one tiny area of the house. Once they have a good sized safe space for running and digging they will be happy and healthy.

Dont concrete the base of the run as they like to dig for worms and you will end up spending a fortune on wood chip trying to keep their feet from getting sore.

I dont find them smelly. We take in their food at night to stop rats being attracted. we have no problems with rats at all.

Advertisement