Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching Fence to Wall

• 26-04-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

In my back garden the top 40% of one of the walls is made up of decorative bricks with holes in them. For various reasons I'm going to be putting wooden fencing over this bit.

I've heard of various products like No More Nails or Gripfill. Would they be suitable for this or would I be better off nailing batons to the wall and then nailing the cladding to the batons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Over it as in covering it or over it as in above it? If covering can you put bolts through the holes in the bricks and bold the fence to the wall. or if above it use bolts to secure battons wouls this work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Over as in covering. Here's the wall in question. As you can see the holes are much to big to put bolts through.
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=9210

The fencing that's on there already will be coming down, every scrap of ivy will be removed and then I'll be putting the new fence up to stop any more ivy coming through from next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You could just drill 5.5mm holes and use red plugs and screws into the blocks. Try to drill in the middle of them, so as not to burst them

What are you using fence wise? Are you putting up rails to fit the cladding to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Express nails, 6mm x 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I would come inside with pressure treated posts and pin them to the lower wall with framing screws

there is a thread somewhere on this forum about doing this, will have a look.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055247901

• Advertisement

You could just drill 5.5mm holes and use red plugs and screws into the blocks. Try to drill in the middle of them, so as not to burst them

What are you using fence wise? Are you putting up rails to fit the cladding to?
    I'll be using (and yes, I know it's probably not ideal) recycled decking planks. Money is very tight at the minute and my neighbour was just throwing it out so I helped myself.

My first thought was to fix batons to the wall and nail the planking to that, but someone mentioned No More Nails to me and I thought that it could save me a lot of time and hassle if it'd do the job. Of course, if it's not suitable for something like this then I wouldn't waste my time if I'll just have to do it again in a couple of months' time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

kylith wrote: »
    I'll be using (and yes, I know it's probably not ideal) recycled decking planks. Money is very tight at the minute and my neighbour was just throwing it out so I helped myself.

My first thought was to fix batons to the wall and nail the planking to that, but someone mentioned No More Nails to me and I thought that it could save me a lot of time and hassle if it'd do the job. Of course, if it's not suitable for something like this then I wouldn't waste my time if I'll just have to do it again in a couple of months' time.

Batons are the way to go. then screw the timber to the batons, biggets problem might be if you nail the timber up you may split the brickwork. I would also suggest that you get black slab screws (go to a good hardware and not those bloody D.I.Y. stores) as they wont rust and mark the timber. (The major D.I.Y. stores are my pet hate :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, what you save time wise using no more nails or that garbage it will cost you a lot more material wise.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Looks like good old-fashioned screws and nails are the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Just beware ivy will grow back and get through the tiniest of cracks.So when the job is done,get into the habit of checking it,as it has a habit of creeping up on you when you least expect it.....I know this from experience...

• Advertisement
Advertisement