Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up Projector Screen... Advice Please!

• 26-04-2011 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

We've just moved into a new house and i want to get my cinema set up installed, i already have my projector up on the ceiling but when it came to installing the brackets for the screen i ran into a problem. I need to fix the brackets onto an internal wall that is only an inch thick or thereabouts (not entirely sure what material the wall is, kind of wood and plaster i think)

What can i use to make sure the brackets stay put? would Rawlplugs work? i'm not sure whether the wall is deep enough to support them (i'm no expert!) and if rawlplugs aren't an option what else could be used instead?

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Seriously, and inch thick? Must be made of cardboard.

Firstly, find out what the wall is made of.

You would be better off putting a timber baton all the way across the back of the screen and fixing the screen to that, then fixing the baton to each stud in the wall that it crosses to have good grounds for it.
    Naturally, fix the baton to the wall first and then the screen to it.

Or you could use hollow wall anchors, but it depends on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Seriously, and inch thick? Must be made of cardboard.

Firstly, find out what the wall is made of.

It must be something like that alright! I think it's wood & plaster or something.

Anyhow, i managed to find the ceiling joists so i'm gonna attach them to those instead as it will be far more secure (they're L shaped brackets so they can be wall or ceiling mounted)

Cheers Fingers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Hi folks

We've just moved into a new house and i want to get my cinema set up installed, i already have my projector up on the ceiling but when it came to installing the brackets for the screen i ran into a problem. I need to fix the brackets onto an internal wall that is only an inch thick or thereabouts (not entirely sure what material the wall is, kind of wood and plaster i think)

What can i use to make sure the brackets stay put? would Rawlplugs work? i'm not sure whether the wall is deep enough to support them (i'm no expert!) and if rawlplugs aren't an option what else could be used instead?

Cheers for any help!

If it's a hollow wall it's 10mm - 12mm thick. Your best bet would be to try to find the batton behind the wall (16" centres normally). failing that get some slab fixings, not the screw in type, if you go to a good hardware they will give you what you need......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Irish Fire wrote: »
    If it's a hollow wall it's 10mm - 12mm thick. Your best bet would be to try to find the batton behind the wall (16" centres normally). failing that get some slab fixings, not the screw in type, if you go to a good hardware they will give you what you need......

Yeah, but a hollow wall is normally made up of two 12mm slabs and a 4 x 2 stud, which would be about 150mm in total, giving a total thickness of around 6 inches.

Not sure how the wall can only be the thickness of two slabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Yeah, but a hollow wall is normally made up of two 12mm slabs and a 4 x 2 stud, which would be about 150mm in total, giving a total thickness of around 6 inches.

Not sure how the wall can only be the thickness of two slabs.

Normally, I agree this is the way it "should" be done but a lot of new builds over the last few years only one slab was used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement