Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting certification

Options
  • 26-04-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am a graduate of Computer Applications Information Systems in DCU, and have been working in IT Support for the last 2 years or so since I left college.
    Experience wise I have roughly 15months on Helpdesk and now 9 months on Desktop support, both in very good companies.

My current contract has just run out and i'm looking at using a bit of downtime to get myself certified, fill in the (significant) gaps in my knowledge - particularly networking, and learn some new things.

I want to make myself more employable basically for Desktop engineer/Systems admin type roles.

From looking at job specs it seems very important to have a good knowledge of Windows Server 2003 and good networking troubleshooting skills.

Can you provide me with any advice on what certification paths might suit me?

Is there anything much certification-wise that I could possibly achieve in 2-3weeks of hard studying? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stayyoung

Just one bump :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

stayyoung wrote: »
    From looking at job specs it seems very important to have a good knowledge of Windows Server 2003 and good networking troubleshooting skills.
    At this stage you should be looking at windows server 2008 R2.
    Definitely the CCNA to start with plus some OS exams such as the MCITP: Server Administrator ones or something like Linux+ if you want the *nix route that way you get a good all round certification for networks and systems (obviously there are a ton of options out there but these would be a good start).
    Is there anything much certification-wise that I could possibly achieve in 2-3weeks of hard studying? :)
    Im sure you could achieve an exam (depending on your existing knowledge) but whether you would fully understand what you have crammed in is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Hi all,

I am a graduate of Computer Applications Information Systems in DCU, and have been working in IT Support for the last 2 years or so since I left college.
    Experience wise I have roughly 15months on Helpdesk and now 9 months on Desktop support, both in very good companies.

My current contract has just run out and i'm looking at using a bit of downtime to get myself certified, fill in the (significant) gaps in my knowledge - particularly networking, and learn some new things.

I want to make myself more employable basically for Desktop engineer/Systems admin type roles.

Im in the same situation as you are, and Im currently studying towards my MCITP for Server 2008a training center in town (not sure If Im allowed to mention names. PM me if you need to). I think if you havent had any server experience the mentored learning approch they are using is the way to go for technology certifications. You have training videos on the pc that are basically the lectures, and you do practical labs on the pc via MS Virtual Server. At the back of the class is a mentor who can answer your questions, and the 2 guys that are covering my course are seriously experienced. Its about €2500, but that means you can study it in your own time, and take in whats being taught. I was going to study on my own at the house, but there are too many distractions here (like Boards :D), so I like going into the "office" every day.

If you havent had experience with servers before (I hadnt, except in college) then getting it done in 2 weeks is not going to happen. MCITP is 3 exams, Id say 2-3 weeks each realistically, and thats spending 8 hours a day in the center.

Dont bother with server 2003 for any of your server certifications -Get the latest. 2008 is already at service pack 2 (2008 R2) so, its well out of beta, and not going anywhere. Companies who can afford to, are upgrading away from 2003 at this stage. There are differences between the two, but they can be learned in your own time.

On the other hand, If you can study at home, get the self study guides, and use the measure up exams to help with your study. They cost 75 quid to download, but Im using them at the moment as part of the course and they are great - Full breakdown of areas of weakness, detailed answers to questions, can be set to study mode, or exam mode (where you're timed).

For the 1st MCITP exam:
    http://www.measureup.com/70-642-R2-TS-Windows-Server-2008-Network-Infrastructure-Configuring-R2-P1034.aspx

All in all, It looks like you and I are going for the same type of jobs. Iv had 3 interviews in the last month since I updated my CV and said Im going to have the MCITP by June, so people must see some value in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

2008 is already at service pack 2 (2008 R2) so, its well out of beta, and not going anywhere.
    Just for the Op's clarity. 2008 is at service pack 2 alright but 2008 R2 is a different OS (and is now at service pack 1 level). Think of Server 2008 as Vista and Server 2008 R2 as Windows 7.

I think people value certifications alright but moreso when the person themselves have gone out and gotten them themselves whether it be paying for the course themselves or self-studying (the latter looks better imo) - it shows that the person is willing to keep themselves up to date and learn new things on their own bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

Hi stayyoung I am in IT for 8 years and I have a 2003 MCSA and Vmware VCP and I am currently upgrading my MCSA to MCITP and I will be giving myself @ least a Month per exam 2-3 weeks is to short you need to setup a Virtual environment and test things realistically you need to give yourself a month for exam's well that’s my opinion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LabMan_

Im in the same situation as you are, and Im currently studying towards my MCITP for Server 2008a training center in town (not sure If Im allowed to mention names. PM me if you need to). I think if you havent had any server experience the mentored learning approch they are using is the way to go for technology certifications. You have training videos on the pc that are basically the lectures, and you do practical labs on the pc via MS Virtual Server. At the back of the class is a mentor who can answer your questions, and the 2 guys that are covering my course are seriously experienced. Its about €2500, but that means you can study it in your own time, and take in whats being taught. I was going to study on my own at the house, but there are too many distractions here (like Boards :D), so I like going into the "office" every day.

If you havent had experience with servers before (I hadnt, except in college) then getting it done in 2 weeks is not going to happen. MCITP is 3 exams, Id say 2-3 weeks each realistically, and thats spending 8 hours a day in the center.

Dont bother with server 2003 for any of your server certifications -Get the latest. 2008 is already at service pack 2 (2008 R2) so, its well out of beta, and not going anywhere. Companies who can afford to, are upgrading away from 2003 at this stage. There are differences between the two, but they can be learned in your own time.

On the other hand, If you can study at home, get the self study guides, and use the measure up exams to help with your study. They cost 75 quid to download, but Im using them at the moment as part of the course and they are great - Full breakdown of areas of weakness, detailed answers to questions, can be set to study mode, or exam mode (where you're timed).

For the 1st MCITP exam:
    http://www.measureup.com/70-642-R2-TS-Windows-Server-2008-Network-Infrastructure-Configuring-R2-P1034.aspx

All in all, It looks like you and I are going for the same type of jobs. Iv had 3 interviews in the last month since I updated my CV and said Im going to have the MCITP by June, so people must see some value in it.

Hey,

Where did you study your MCITP?

Cheers

Advertisement