Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying a night. Shannon harbor or Banagher.... or somewhere else

Options
  • 26-04-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and a friend are cycling along the Canal from Dublin to Shannon Harbor, where we plan to spend a night at the end of our trip.
    However I looked on google maps and there seems to be hardly anything in Shannon Harbor! Would we be better off staying (b&b) in Banagher?

We are looking for somewhere with a few pubs so we can have a bit of a session after the cycle :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bassets

Banagher would be your best bet, lots of good nightlife to be had depending on the night you are there!
    There is a few places to stay I don't know what many of them are like but Charlottes Way B&B is meant to be o.k it is located at the top of the town, www.charlottesway.com
    Other than that there is the Brosna Lodge Hotel located in the middle of town, www.brosnalodge.com
    and also Dun Cromain B&B located just outside the town about 1 km, www.duncromain.com
    Hope that is of a help to you enjoy your time and best of luck on your cycle.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

stayed in bannagher last year while cruising on the shannon,real old pub there think its called houghs with live music every night i think,not much in shannon harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thanks for all the tips folks. I'm really looking forward to the trip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Aye there's not much in the Harbour, Banagher would be a better bet or Shannonbridge Killeens is a great spot for live music and craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Shannon Harbour only has the one pub. It's a nice pub mind you but not what you've got in mind! Off with ya to Hough's Singing Pub. Bet you never knew pubs could sing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

A long over due followup

Banagher was great. Drank in Croughs and stayed in the Brosna lodge. The cycle was really good too except that we camped in Daingean on the way there. A dismal heavy vibe about that place.
    We woke up in the middle of the night with some lunatic raving and shouting near the tents. He was whisked away by a speeding car after a few minutes. Strange.

Next summer I'll do the Royal canal.

Thanks for all the good advice

Advertisement