Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing crack in plaster. Could this be diy?

• 26-04-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a horrible crack the full length of my landing wall, about 12 feet altogether. There is a slight lip on the plaster to the right of the crack, maybe 1mm or so higher then the rest of the plaster.
    It's a solid wall that has been skimmed.
    Could this be fixed diy? I have adhesive plaster tape and can buy any filler/plaster I need.

Some pics.
    DSC05323.jpg

DSC05322.jpg

Lip, looks higher in the pic due to the andle but it's about 1mm
    DSC05327.jpg

Thanks,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

How old is the house, and is there a crack on the wall outside too?

Need to make sure that its only a settling crack and not subsidence in the house. not to scaremonger or anything.

In order to fix, you will need to chip away a portion of the plaster that's sticking out to get a level wall. Then, backfill the hole in layers building up to wall level. Fill slightly proud and then sand down.

If you chip back away to the block, then use some bonding first before you go with patching plaster or filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Am a bit confused here, is this crack a horizontal crack all the way along below where the ceiling joins the wall. The pics being vertical are confusing me.:confused:

Is it an external or internal wall and as asked already can u see other side.?

Why was it recently skimmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

It's a vertical crack on an internal wall about 12 feet high. It's a newish house, built 2 years ago.
    I don't know if the block work is cracked as it's a dividing wall between my neighbors.

how long has it been like this?

If u tap the skimmed piece on the narrow side is is hollow, maybe the plaster has just come off the wall?

Can see the wall, unskimmed in attic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Neilw wrote: »
    It's a vertical crack on an internal wall about 12 feet high. It's a newish house, built 2 years ago.
    I don't know if the block work is cracked as it's a dividing wall between my neighbors.

Can you go up into the attic space a see if there is a crack in the exposed block?

If you are going to do this diy, you will have to chip away both sides of the crack so you will see any cracks in the blocks. I would say about 2" either side of the crack.

A good wide taping knife about 8 to 11 inches and apply which ever filler you can get at the hardware store. let it dry and remove any bumps with a rub of sand paper.

• Advertisement

Been like that about a year now. The thin section of plaster does sound hollow when you tap it. I didn't notice any cracking in the attic last time I was up there, about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks.
    From a DIY perspective if u strip it back to the corner it will be v hard to get right.

Do u think the skim is just loose or the plaster as well below.

I would just fill it in now with say painters caulk and paint it and leave it sit to see it it gets worse.
    I know it might not pass go with SWMBO but I would like to see it it has settled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Firstly who is SWMBO?//

It is a most unusual structural crack. It has not cracked with the blocls as it does not look like a stairs. It is not bad plastering. You should try to find out what caused the crack. Other that that i agree with Carlow52.

Firstly who is SWMBO?//

It is a most unusual structural crack. It has not cracked with the blocls as it does not look like a stairs. It is not bad plastering. You should try to find out what caused the crack. Other that that i agree with Carlow52.

SWMBO, she who must be obeyed :D

It's unusual alright. It's a very high wall from landing half way up the stairs to the ceiling. The staircase doubles back on itself it's not one continuous staircase.

Thanks for the advice lads.

So could I sand back the bit that is sitting high so it's level then fill with caulk and paint it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Neilw wrote: »
    SWMBO, she who must be obeyed :D

It's unusual alright. It's a very high wall from landing half way up the stairs to the ceiling. The staircase doubles back on itself it's not one continuous staircase.

Thanks for the advice lads.

So could I sand back the bit that is sitting high so it's level then fill with caulk and paint it?

If the plaster is sounding hollow when you tap it , then ideally it should be chipped off and filled, as its boast from the wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement