Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Had A Weird Encounter On Eglinton Street Today

Options
  • 26-04-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Today at about after 12 30 pm heading towards lunch time i was making my way along Eglinton Street.I was checking my wallet when i noticed some man who was walking passed me just suddenly turned back.I wen't into the newsbox store and when i came out i noticed that this very same man was waiting outside.I then walked on and just as i was about to go into the pound shop which is nearby this man tapped me on the shoulder and muttered could i give him some money.I just walked into the shop and he walked on.I could barely understand what he was saying.He looked like he was a drug addict which surprised me because you wouldn't really expect to come across this kind of thing in Galway.Now nothing serious happened but i did feel that this individual was loitering around with intent on doing something much more sinister if he had the chance.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nothing to worry about I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I'm surprised, you're surprised. That kind of thing does happen in Galway as it does in any city. There aren't many junkies but plenty of alcoholics. You're lucky he was asking for money not snatching your wallet.

Never ever catch the eye of characters like that. It's like an invitation to come over to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

personally, i wouldnt ever check my wallet on a public street. do it in as private a place as possible and as discreetly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

personally, i wouldnt ever check my wallet on a public street. do it in as private a place as possible and as discreetly as possible.

That's was actually the first time i ever did that.I was going into the Newsbox shop to buy some 3v credit i was just getting my 3v card out and seeing that seeing that i was just seconds from the shop i got complacent.While Galway has it's share of whino's that's the first time i ever encountered a junkie type person in Galway.I guess it's just the way things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 volvick

something like that happened me in Dublin, I was up for the weekend waiting for the Gobus and I was standing on my own, dublin city but alone, if anyone got the bus you know where I am on about. This man walked up to me and asked me for money, I said I didn't have any and was happy to hand over my bag if he insisted but I admit I was scared. He walked off but I felt better when more came to stand at the stop. You just don;t know what a person would do to get money! The person who asked me wasn't asking for food - thats for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

sad thing is we will prob see a lot more of this and other 'petty' crimes in the coming years due to the impoverishment of the irish people by the state and private banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Guess it depends what you define as a drug addict...I've come across plenty of drug addicts in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There are *way* more junkies in Galway (and Dublin) than I ever remember. If they are 'sick' and in need of heroin, they will of course be more blatent and insistent in their hussling. I'd see it as less of a crime and more like agressive begging. But watch your stuff. GBFM reported a few bag snatches/attacks this weekend, and as summer goes on it will only increase. That gobus stop in Dublin is a bit far down alright. I've never had a problem but I usually never go down more than 10 mins early. Have a cuppa in The Dark Horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

... this man tapped me on the shoulder and muttered could i give him some money.I just walked into the shop and he walked on.I could barely understand what he was saying.He looked like he was a drug addict which surprised me because you wouldn't really expect to come across this kind of thing in Galway...

Ya coulda said 'no, sorry I've no change' or whatever, would be nice to even knowledge him.

Surprised that you came across someone you thought was a drug addict in Galway? Where have you been living? People battle with drug problems everywhere..

Apologies if I sound ranty but the chap might have wanted a few pence from you for whatever he chooses to spend it on, just as much as he wanted to 'do something more sinister'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Ya coulda said 'no, sorry I've no change' or whatever, would be nice to even knowledge him.

Surprised that you came across someone you thought was a drug addict in Galway? Where have you been living? People battle with drug problems everywhere..

Apologies if I sound ranty but the chap might have wanted a few pence from you for whatever he chooses to spend it on, just as much as he wanted to 'do something more sinister'.

Yeah i should have just have handed the nice man my wallet instead.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well if that's your choice at the end of the day, as it is his to nick it or to ask for spare change for whatever. Just saying. I try not to ignore people who ask me for money; not that I give money out like there's no tomorrow. To acknowledge someone's presence as opposed to ignoring them is something.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Its funny you should mention that, I was walking down the same street yesterday, and some man in a flat cap gave me a funny look:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Asking happens all the time - and a lot in that street for some reason.

Loitering isn't so common, but does happen.

While I sympathise with LadyP's point about acknowledging them as human and do it sometimes, at other times my safety-sense says that a fairly stern "no" and keep on walking quickly is the best course. You just need to use your judgement every time, and always be aware of who's around you in the street.

Sometimes I even pretend not understand (esp with the woman who starts "do you speak English? I need E2 to get the GoBus back to Dublin), but this can be risky if they then think you won't report issues to the garda.

JustMary wrote: »
    Asking happens all the time - and a lot in that street for some reason.

Loitering isn't so common, but does happen.

While I sympathise with LadyP's point about acknowledging them as human and do it sometimes, at other times my safety-sense says that a fairly stern "no" and keep on walking quickly is the best course. You just need to use your judgement every time, and always be aware of who's around you in the street..

Yeah. Trust your judgement. I often have a stern no myself, but even that in itself is a simple acknowlegement, for whatever reason they're asking.

While I sympathise with LadyP's point about acknowledging them as human and do it sometimes, at other times my safety-sense says that a fairly stern "no" and keep on walking quickly is the best course. You just need to use your judgement every time, and always be aware of who's around you in the street.

I'm all for the stern 'No' as well, clearly, I just cannot ignore someone if they have physically tapped my shoulder or clearly directed their plea at me, however annoying it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sometimes I even pretend not understand (esp with the woman who starts "do you speak English? I need E2 to get the GoBus back to Dublin), but this can be risky if they then think you won't report issues to the garda.

I had that scobie woman ask me for €2 to get the bus back to Cararroe - She went a little blank when I asked her where in Cararroe she lived. I kept walking

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lensbaby89

This sounds like the same chap who beckoned to me outside Easons a couple of weeks ago. I had just walked out and was heading down shop street and this guy who was sitting on the windowsill outside started calling quietly "Sorry, excuse me, sorry there". I thought he was looking for the time or something by his demeanour so I walked back over to him and he asked me for any spare change.
    I was so shocked at being singled out and approached in this manner I just said no and walked away, tbh I got a bit of a fright!
    I'm the person who goes and buys people on the street coffee on cold nights but I didn't appreciate how I was approached.
    The strange thing is I'm almost certain it was the same rough looking guy who I happened to sit beside in the smoking area outside Club Aras na Gael a few weeks back and hassled me then too...not for change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I had that scobie woman ask me for €2 to get the bus back to Cararroe - She went a little blank when I asked her where in Cararroe she lived. I kept walking

She's moved, so ;)

She's now used the line on me at least five times: I'm pretty hard-arsed with street beggars, but I actually fell for it the first time. Her appearance makes me think that her health has gone downhill since then, though and there's no way anyone should fall for it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

well if that's your choice at the end of the day, as it is his to nick it or to ask for spare change for whatever. Just saying. I try not to ignore people who ask me for money; not that I give money out like there's no tomorrow. To acknowledge someone's presence as opposed to ignoring them is something.
    Yes, you shouldn't ignore them.
    Report them to the police instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Lensbaby89 wrote: »
    "Sorry, excuse me, sorry there".

I was so shocked at being singled out and approached in this manner .

In what manner? Didnt he say "excuse me, sorry". Cmon! This is crazy, let beggars be beggars. Whatever happened in their lives or whatever they did to themselfs to live like that this is no crime to ask for help yet. We dont know circumstances and its not our thing to judge. You can always say you dont have any money with you and walk away, but to be shocked about it!?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

softmee wrote: »
    In what manner? Didnt he say "excuse me, sorry". Cmon! This is crazy, let beggars be beggars. Whatever happened in their lives or whatever they did to themselfs to live like that this is no crime to ask for help yet.
    Thankfully it is.
    If you want to ask for help, see your social services that I pay for.
    Don't bother me in the street about it.

Isn't that law more intended for threatening or agressive behaviour, or say people who block an ATM. Maybe it's subjective, but I don't think a cop would do more than move someone on if they prefaced a beg with an 'excuse me'.

Some of those 'charity' collecters are WAY worse IMO ;)

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Thankfully it is.
    If you want to ask for help, see your social services that I pay for.
    Don't bother me in the street about it.

I pay for your social services too, but it doesnt mean i dont understand people in need. Its not only black and white -you know!
    I dont mean i like it, it is annoying sometimes- ok and i dont usually give them any money, but saying its shocking is just childish.

I dont mean i like it, it is annoying sometimes- ok and i dont usually give them any money, but saying its shocking is just childish.
    Childish? Not quite sure what that's supposed to mean.

So you don't give them money, you find them annoying and you don't like that they ask you for money... so why are you down on people who object to being harassed? And I would use the term harassed to refer to any person not known to me who approaches me on the street for any reason when I'm quietly going about my own business.

Let me point out that while we don't know what these people have been through to end up on the streets, you also don't know what people who refer to their approaches as "shocking" have been through either and perhaps you are the one who should exhibit a little less judgement in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kosmo

Let me point out that while we don't know what these people have been through to end up on the streets, you also don't know what people who refer to their approaches as "shocking" have been through either and perhaps you are the one who should exhibit a little less judgement in future.

I totally agree.

And I would use the term harassed to refer to any person not known to me who approaches me on the street for any reason when I'm quietly going about my own business

-and this is just sad...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

I really feel sorry for the homeless on our streets. usually same people that are there and ya see them on the wet nights in door ways. there is a guy that always asks for 60 or 70 cent. why he asks for that figure i dunno but usually throw him a fiver. fiver isnt going to make or break me and he def needs it more then me. id rather give to then then all the bogus charitys around the city

-and this is just sad...
    Thank you for illustrating my point so eloquently...

This thread is for discussing the OP's personal experience to which I responded with my own personal experience. If you're looking for an argument please go and be a troll elsewhere and leave this for people who are willing to discuss the OP's issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Somebody got asked for spare change and decides to go make a thread on Boards about it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

schween wrote: »
    Somebody got asked for spare change and decides to go make a thread on Boards about it :confused:

No no, it was a 'weird encounter'

Advertisement