Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Had A Weird Encounter On Eglinton Street Today

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

schween wrote: »
    Somebody got asked for spare change and decides to go make a thread on Boards about it :confused:

I swear the race is growing softer by the year, to think Galwegians were the first to brave the Atlantic ocean and to be reduced to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I really feel sorry for the homeless on our streets. usually same people that are there and ya see them on the wet nights in door ways. there is a guy that always asks for 60 or 70 cent. why he asks for that figure i dunno but usually throw him a fiver. fiver isnt going to make or break me and he def needs it more then me.

Some of the lads you see on the street at night are there because they're too drunk etc to get into the Fairgreen that night.

By giving them a fiver, you're really just giving them the means to get too drunk to get in tomorrow night as well. If you must do something, buy them food or coffee, don't give cash, ever, or you're just being part of the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

softmee wrote: »
    I pay for your social services too, but it doesnt mean i dont understand people in need. Its not only black and white -you know!
    I dont mean i like it, it is annoying sometimes- ok and i dont usually give them any money, but saying its shocking is just childish.
    Who said it was shocking?
    It's annoying, which is a good enough reason to have it banned IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Who said it was shocking?

I believe they're referring to Lensbaby's quote further back:

"I was so shocked at being singled out and approached in this manner I just said no and walked away, tbh I got a bit of a fright!"

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lezza

next time some one approaches you in the street slap them in the teeth, it ends all confusion and extinguishes any fear;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

I don't like handing out cash to the 'boyos' but I remember a couple of years ago, early one saturday morning, nice and sunny out, I was in town doing a bit of early shopping when one of the older 'boyos' asked me for a couple of euro, I could tell he was a bit drunk already, not too bad but his breath was edgy:D he looked like an older version of Paudi O Shea, cap on head and jacket on...

Boyo: ".....giv is a couple of euro will ya"

Me: ".....what for?"

Boyo: ".....I'd luv a cuppa coffee...eh(belch)"

Me: "....cup of coffee, look, come over to the cafe over there and I'll get you a coffee and sambo"

Boyo: "...sure just giv us the cash"

Me: "...no, come over here and I'll get it for you, no hassle"

Boyo: "...(with squinty eye)...ara feck off with yerself so!!...(cue two finger sign language)

From then, whenever it happens, I go thru this routine, very few have accepted the coffee and sambo tho!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

In my experince, a good few have taken up the coffee and a sambo offer; gratefully, depends who you offer it to tho; some are genuinely out for cash and cash only and others are 'watched'...you learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JustMary wrote: »
    Some of the lads you see on the street at night are there because they're too drunk etc to get into the Fairgreen that night.

By giving them a fiver, you're really just giving them the means to get too drunk to get in tomorrow night as well. If you must do something, buy them food or coffee, don't give cash, ever, or you're just being part of the problem.

Agree.

When I was in Birmingham a few years ago, a guy came up to me and my friend asking for money for "food". He told us a big sob story about how he hadn't eaten in over 24hrs and he just wanted money for "food". My friend had an unopened bottle of water and a banana in his bag - he offered these to the guy begging. The beggar said no, he only wanted money! If you were really starving then you would not turn down perfectly good food. He more than likely wanted money for drink or drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Ya coulda said 'no, sorry I've no change' or whatever, would be nice to even knowledge him.

Surprised that you came across someone you thought was a drug addict in Galway? Where have you been living? People battle with drug problems everywhere..

Apologies if I sound ranty but the chap might have wanted a few pence from you for whatever he chooses to spend it on, just as much as he wanted to 'do something more sinister'.

Liberal do gooder alert.I suppose the man should have emptied out the contents of his wallet and hand it to the junkie there and then.:pac:

KevR wrote: »
    Agree.

When I was in Birmingham a few years ago, a guy came up to me and my friend asking for money for "food". He told us a big sob story about how he hadn't eaten in over 24hrs and he just wanted money for "food". My friend had an unopened bottle of water and a banana in his bag - he offered these to the guy begging. The beggar said no, he only wanted money! If you were really starving then you would not turn down perfectly good food. He more than likely wanted money for drink or drugs.
    Had this before from a door-to-door beggar. (She was African with kids in tow, but that's not to say I haven't had Irish travellers at my door too).
    Beggar: "I have no money to feed my children."
    Me: "I'll give you some food."
    Beggar: "No, I want money."
    Me: "Go **** yourself."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Had this before from a door-to-door beggar. (She was African with kids in tow, but that's not to say I haven't had Irish travellers at my door too).

Bit of a harsh reply no? A simple no would suffice, especially with kids about.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Where theres coke, theres crack..

There was one day about two weeks ago on a Sunday that I was sitting inside the bus station making a phone call on my mobile. It was early enough, at about 6 I think. In walk these two unbelievably drunk "<snip>" and one of them comes over to me, asks me if I'm on the phone and then proceeds to ask me for some money. I then tell the person I'm on the phone to that I'll call them back and hang up before telling him that I'm sorry, but I don't have any money, which was partially true - I had no money I'd be willing to give him. He then asks me if I'd have no money if he punched me. Thankfully the security guard walks over and tells them to leave, but not before the two of them square up to the owner of the café in there, resulting in the security guard kicking them out completely.

So, unfortunately sometimes being polite to them won't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

So, unfortunately sometimes being polite to them won't work either.

That's a sh*tty thing to happen to you, but the thing is - people are not a 'them'. Just because one a**hole responded that way, doesn't mean every beggar/drug addict/wino would. Same with the sandwich thing.
    Plenty *would* take it. Just as plenty know if they said "I need money to shoot heroin in my arm so I don't get pains", that their odds of getting the money would go way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

So, you think if he didnt want food he wanted money for alkohol? What if he didnt have enough money to dress his kids or buy them books for school? Is food everythink what he could ask for? If he wasnt hungry he should just eat anyway what you have offered just to please you, yes? :confused:

softmee wrote: »
    So, you think if he didnt want food he wanted money for alkohol? What if he didnt have enough money to dress his kids or buy them books for school? Is food everythink what he could ask for? If he wasnt hungry he should just eat anyway what you have offered just to please you, yes? :confused:

I couldn't give two hoots what they wanted the money for. If you want to ring my doorbell just to lie to me you can get knotted.
    Ever heard of "beggars can't be choosers?". If he didn't like the fruit and veg being offered what should I do? Phone him a pizza?
    "just to please me" he shouldn't lie to my face when it's HIM that wants something.

Advertisement