Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help with my Question

• 26-04-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi Guys

Its been annoying me now for a while but when you use the command prompt to see what your ip address is, it gives you a address all right, but when you go online and type in "what is my ip address" it gives you a completely different ip address??
    Can anyone tell me whats the difference with them or why is this or anything please!

Thanks
    Hope ye can help.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

.223 Paul wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Its been annoying me now for a while but when you use the command prompt to see what your ip address is, it gives you a address all right, but when you go online and type in "what is my ip address" it gives you a completely different ip address??
    Can anyone tell me whats the difference with them or why is this or anything please!

Thanks
    Hope ye can help.

It's called NAT, network address translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The IP listed at the command prompt is usually a local network address, often 192.168.x.y, the one reported by a website is a public routable one, and represents the outward-facing net interface of the device your pc connects to first, assuming you have a DSL router/modem or cable modem/router. On dial-up you used to get a public IP from a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 .223 Paul

Tanks spear

So basically are you saying that the ip adress given in command prompt which is 147.152.whatevr is changed into 82.41.whatevr??

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 .223 Paul

tanks bonzo

So if i wanted to use remote desktop connection to connect to my friends computer i would use the ip address given online??

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

.223 Paul wrote: »
    Tanks spear

So basically are you saying that the ip adress given in command prompt which is 147.152.whatevr is changed into 82.41.whatevr??

Cheers

You mean you have something with 147.152.x.x internally, but 82.41.x.x as the public interface IP? Are those just random examples, or real world ones? It seems a bit odd as the first one in BT, but the second one is UPC.

In the case of RDP, yes external users connect to the public IP, and you'll need to forward port 3389 to the internal address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement