Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - Physical

• 26-04-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of making a list of what exactly I need to know for the physical section in geography. I intend to just learn off essays for most of these topics bar maybe one or two that I might be able to link in together and learn less.. here's my list anyway :) would be great if anyone could let me know if I'm missing something! I'm not really going to listen to any predictions on this section..
    I don't think its that hard to learn these essays, especially in comparison to the regional and human section!

Landform Development - Waterfall
    Human interaction (on a river) - Flood control - Dam
    Formation of Rocks - Sedimentary / Igneous and Metamorphic
    Plate tectonics - Forces at work / distribution of fold mountains with relevant example
    Volcanoes - Distribution with revelant examples / Effects
    Earthquakes - (forces already covered in plate tectonics -forces of work) / Measurement + Effects
    Human interaction with rock cycle - quarrying

I should probably include something on the a karst landscape as well? :/

Thats around 11 essays in total.. I don't think it's THAT bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Looks like a nice list, not much else I could add to it here's what i've learned off ,you can see if there's anything else worth taking from this.

Physical;
    • Global distribution of volcanoes.
    • Volcanic landforms.
    • Global distribution of earhtquakes.
    • Measurements & effects of earthquakes.
    • Folding & faulting.
    • Plate boundaries.
    • Human inetraction with the rock cycle.
    • Human inetraction with river processes.
    • Meachanical weathering.
    • Chemical weathering.
    • Limestone pavement.
    • Landform development.
    • the formation of Igneous rock .
    • the formation of Sedimentary rock.
    • the formation of Metamorphic rock.
    It looks like a lot, but is generally easy to remember once you have a general understanding of the section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

biggaman wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm in the middle of making a list of what exactly I need to know for the physical section in geography. I intend to just learn off essays for most of these topics bar maybe one or two that I might be able to link in together and learn less.. here's my list anyway :) would be great if anyone could let me know if I'm missing something! I'm not really going to listen to any predictions on this section..
    I don't think its that hard to learn these essays, especially in comparison to the regional and human section!

Landform Development - Waterfall
    Human interaction (on a river) - Flood control - Dam
    Formation of Rocks - Sedimentary / Igneous and Metamorphic
    Plate tectonics - Forces at work / distribution of fold mountains with relevant example
    Volcanoes - Distribution with revelant examples / Effects
    Earthquakes - (forces already covered in plate tectonics -forces of work) / Measurement + Effects
    Human interaction with rock cycle - quarrying

I should probably include something on the a karst landscape as well? :/

Thats around 11 essays in total.. I don't think it's THAT bad?
    Yep, that seems quite good! If I were you I would look at the possibility of a question on the Structures Of Deformation, (folding, faulting, what landforms occur from each etc.) It has never appeared as a long question and only once as a short question I think!. However it did appear on the Sample Papers the SEC provided when the course was first examined in 2006! That's what our teacher is hinting for this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

thanks for the replies guys, i'll defo keep that one you suggested in mind PictureFrame and I got a few extra essays from your list as well DaveMur1 :)

What are you guys doing for the human elective?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Definitely recommend learning a bit off about Karst regions. You can use em for a multitude of questions in the Physical section.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

What about: The damage caused by an Earthquake and how to reduce it.
    The Cycle of Erosion

• Advertisement

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    What about: The damage caused by an Earthquake and how to reduce it.
    The Cycle of Erosion
    I actually had something like that done already mate, effects (with relation to socio-economic development of an area) and then reduction I can write a bit about as well, cheers! :)
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by the cycle of erosion?

Ayrtonf7 - I have the formation of karst landscapes and an underground/overground feature prepared, that be enough you think?

Ayrtonf7 - I have the formation of karst landscapes and an underground/overground feature prepared, that be enough you think?

If your info includes a bit about weathering + sedimentary rocks as well, well then yeah it sounds perfect :)

I actually think I might omit the weathering? I mean it hasn't came up on any of the past papers so? :/
    I do have an answer on the formation of sedimentary rocks though..

I actually think I might omit the weathering? I mean it hasn't came up on any of the past papers so? :/
    I do have an answer on the formation of sedimentary rocks though..

How can you talk about the formation of a Karst region/landform without mentioning chemical weathering ? Its how its formed in the first place. Could easily pick up a few SRPs with it.

But of course, its up to you, just suggesting so I am :)

Advertisement