Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administration fee when adding a named driver on insurance

Options
  • 26-04-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi
    Is it normal for car insurance companies to charge an administration fee when adding a named driver to insurance?

I am adding a named driver and there is no increase in the premium (it's a female driver and I'm male). To do this though I have to pay a 40 euro administration fee.

Is there a way of objecting to this? I think this is taking advantage of people who will most likely think "ah sure what can I do".

Also actually is it possible to change insurance provider even if you have just started your insurance for the year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hi
    Is it normal for car insurance companies to charge an administration fee when adding a named driver to insurance?

I am adding a named driver and there is no increase in the premium (it's a female driver and I'm male). To do this though I have to pay a 40 euro administration fee.

Is there a way of objecting to this? I think this is taking advantage of people who will most likely think "ah sure what can I do".

Also actually is it possible to change insurance provider even if you have just started your insurance for the year?

They have always done this well in the 11 years I have been driving anyways. Even if there was an addition to the policy cost wise there would have been an admin fee included in that also. Example last year I added my bro to my policy extra cost to premium of €150 + €30 admin fee worked out at €180 but as there was a good 10 months left on the policy we paid it. After all he wanted to drive the car so it had to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

It's ridiculous.. 30/40 euros to add a name to a policy..
    I suppose it would be too much to ask for a financial regulator to actually say "they're entitled to an admin fee, but 40 is a bit excessive"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

At the start of every year's insurance, you should be provided with a Terms of Business document. If it is stated in there that they can charge for alterations, then there is nothing you can do. If it doesn't, you can take it to the Regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Hi

Yes you can and they must refund the entire unused portion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

a little off topic but........ if the policy is comprehensive will the named driver also be covered for comprehensive or just 3rd party( full license & fully comp on her own policy )

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Think it depends on the insurance company Added my father to my poilicy two weeks ago, no charge at all. Sent me out amended insurance cert a few days later. (Wtih quinn direct)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Some companies charge admin fee's for everything,particularly 123.ie.

Its something that everyone should check when getting quotes/renewals.

You might save a few quid on your premium but the company will re-coup whatever you have gotten off in other ways such as admin fee's.

Id imagine its in your T+C's so there isnt anything you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

yep it's in the terms of business so nothing I can do. They don't exactly advertise this when you sign up though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

maxer68 wrote: »
    Yes you can and they must refund the entire unused portion.

Minus an administration fee! Lol

Which was €50 when i left Quinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Minus an administration fee! Lol

Which was €50 when i left Quinn

Think that's a termination fee, rather than an admin fee. When you sign up to a policy, with most companies, it tends to be a 12 month contract. So if you choose to cancel, they charge an early termnation fee for ending that contract. Standard practise I think.

Advertisement