Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

pwurple wrote: »
    From the facebook page "At last weeks Roads meeting in committee at City Hall ,It was stated that the Road works on Skehard Roundabout were having very little impact if any on traffic/delays to the area.This view point was put forword by the some of the same Councillors who Voted to remove the Roundabout in the first place......... Some made this claim "as they were monitoring the progress of works daily"

Has anyone seen someone monitoring traffic?

There are no counting strips down anyway.
    They don't need to monitor it tbh - take a drive through that junction at pretty much any time of the day and you'll realize it's utterly retarded.

Every evening when I come home the Douglas side and Mahon side are left backlogged while traffic from the Cork Con side flows fine - despite the fact that this side has the minority of the traffic.

Additionally - the idea of having the lane split into two to allow traffic coming from the Douglas side to turn left towards Cork Con has been shown up as useless due to the fact that traffic moving straight ahead backs up so much to prevent drivers headed towards Con availing of their green light.

IDIOCY! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Silverdale was very very busy around 5.30 today.
    Lots of cars coming from Mahon direction coming through it and exiting by the Silver Key.
    Traffic was backed up around half way down the Well Road too. :(

What makes it worse for me is that I'm living just off skehard road and need to turn right towards Mahon to head to work in the morning - I'm not supposed to turn right but taking the left means I have to go through those lights, turn and head back through the lights again - that's about 10mins extra added to my already 30min commute.

I'm aware that it's a bit of a first world problem, but when the roundabout was there I had no problem doing it - now I feel like a príck every morning because I'm depending on people to let me out on both sides of the road - and that definitely annoys people because they know I shouldn't be doing it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That is fairly annoying D'agger, especially as one of the reasons the councillors say was the driving force behind changing the junction, was safer access to those who had to turn right onto skehard road.

Their three main objectives they tell me were:

To make the area safer - FAIL. it is more dangerous, with cars now speeding through residential areas instead of staying on the main road.

To be more environmentally friendly - FAIL. Fumes are gone crazy from all the stopped traffic, and a roundabout which was planted, and a grassy area have been replaced by tarmac and umpteen traffic lights which suck power.

To allow safer road access from Brickfields and other houses on the south side of skehard road - FAIL. Where before, you could just go up to the roundabout and turn, now there is nowhere to turn, so you are stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

D'Agger wrote: »
    - I'm not supposed to turn right but ~ when the roundabout was there I had no problem doing it - :(

Indeed they have experiences in this regard. At the Well Road junction to Douglas Road, they stopped the right turn from Well Road ~ no problem swing back from the Douglas Village roundabout ~ then they took that away!!!!!

They have forgotten what a lot of these small roundabouts do. Part of the small roundabout plan is to facilitate the removal of right turns by getting people to go to the end of the road and swing back from a small roundabout and turn left to their home or shopping centre.

It works; example the thousands of motorists queuing on the Straight road to turn right towards the Anglers's Rest; if one passes them out, swings around the Poulvane Roundabout and back down turning left to the Angler's one will see the firt car in the queue still waiting to turn right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Is the large area that they are working on now for the bus lane and bicyle lane did I see someone said before... or are they making a giant footpath

pwurple wrote: »
    That is fairly annoying D'agger, especially as one of the reasons the councillors say was the driving force behind changing the junction, was safer access to those who had to turn right onto skehard road.

Agree with the rest of your points - for a finish, based on the plans I've seen, it should, eventually be safer for Brickfield residents to get out on the road but I believe this involves more traffic lights to allow this - which will cause more congestion. It's going to be a nightmare and I can see it turning into something along the lines of the Douglas lights going into the village from the well rd. - going through lights to another set of lights, clogged traffic etc. :(
    gbee wrote: »
    They have forgotten what a lot of these small roundabouts do. Part of the small roundabout plan is to facilitate the removal of right turns by getting people to go to the end of the road and swing back from a small roundabout and turn left to their home or shopping centre.

Completely agree - if you're a motorist and you take a wrong turn in Blackrock now you're pretty much screwed if you need to turn back - the nearest roundabout is Douglas shopping centre!

There's no safe place to pull in, turn and trying to pull out again with the traffic - g'luck with that!
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Is the large area that they are working on now for the bus lane and bicyle lane did I see someone said before... or are they making a giant footpath

Bus lane and cycle lane I'm fairly certain.

So, it's realigned again. Looks ok from the mahon side now, but I couldn't even get on to the well road at douglas this morning for a couple of changes of lights.

Went up through lake lawn as it was bumper to bumper all the way up, following the traffic that way over to church road.

Feel so sorry for the people in ard mahon, hettyfield and lakelawn this morning. A poor woman who was trying to get her kids into the car was nearly blasted off the road by someone in a rush past her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Traffic has got so bad lately at this junction. They have just f*cked it up so badly. Traffic was as far back as Lake Lawn yesterday. A good 15 minute delay on a roundsabout that would rarely have a 60 second delay.

No words can express my anger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Banana Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Am I right in thinking that this work started 4 months ago and the place is still an utter mess? What the hell are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Ludo wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that this work started 4 months ago and the place is still an utter mess? What the hell are they doing?

I get so frustrated every time I pass. What a complete mess and waste of money. How can they get away with this?? They should just put everything back the way it was.

Who is mostly responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

Hogzy wrote: »
    Traffic has got so bad lately at this junction. They have just f*cked it up so badly. Traffic was as far back as Lake Lawn yesterday. A good 15 minute delay on a roundsabout that would rarely have a 60 second delay.

No words can express my anger.

I am so so angry about this too. I am in the 'lucky' position of commuting from the Mahon side in the mornings so my delay is probably only up about 5 mins since when the roundabout was there. Looking down the hill at people coming from douglas to mahon there is an incredible difference. There was never ever much of a backlog there, now it regulary streches down further than you can see around the bend by lake lawn. I would be fuming if this was me, theres only about 5 cars getting through every light change from what I notice.

The layout is constantly changing also. I am shocked there has not been an accident there yet. I was so close to crashing yesterday. the turns are extremely tight and narrow, as well as being quite difficult to see IMO. The traffic lights are also not very clear, there seems to be traffic lights everywhere, and badly positioned. I hope I am wrong but I really feel it is an accident waiting to happen, I would feel very unsafe cycling the route or working on site. Because of the tight blind turns/ narrow lanes/ confusion with signals, its begging for someone for somebody to make a mistake, coupled with the frustration commuters are feeling due to this idiotic project, and hinderence it has placed on them. theres also an added danger in silverdale, silver key car park etc with the increased volume of traffic deciding to use these routes

Whats the deal with the speed check signs?? Has anyone seen any speed cameras??

Also can anybody explain to me what the final job is going to look like. I cannot figure out what the actual outcome is going to be. Any link to a picture of the completed envisaged project or anything??

Ludo wrote: »
    More like 6. It started in may.
    Who is mostly responsible?
    Councillor Laura McGonigle as far as I can see. Sincerely hope she gets phunted out next election.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Causes problems further along at Ballinlough Road and the funeral home as traffic is released in large batches by the lights with less gaps for traffic to join from these roads when going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I went through it last night on way to work and could not make heads or tails of it. Absolute disaster.

It's better coming from the Mahon side, however from Douglas it's still a mess - my only hope is that when finished it'll work better overall, that said I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

[QUOTE/]

Also can anybody explain to me what the final job is going to look like. I cannot figure out what the actual outcome is going to be. Any link to a picture of the completed envisaged project or anything??[/QUOTE]

Courtesy of Bladebrew in an earlier post

^^^
    According to those plans there will only be one lane for traffic when coming from Douglas. Currently that lane is split into two for the remaining 10 meters or so before the actual junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

It is going to be a disaster, I was sitting there long enough this evening to look at the traffic flow. The main amount of traffic is up and down the well road to Douglas but this is now being made the secondary road. The back-log will never go away.

• Advertisement

Clamball wrote: »
    It is going to be a disaster, I was sitting there long enough this evening to look at the traffic flow. The main amount of traffic is up and down the well road to Douglas but this is now being made the secondary road. The back-log will never go away.

The main flows are Skehard Rd <> Douglas and Skehard Road <> Boreenmanna Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Andip wrote: »

Also can anybody explain to me what the final job is going to look like. I cannot figure out what the actual outcome is going to be. Any link to a picture of the completed envisaged project or anything??

Courtesy of Bladebrew in an earlier post

That was the original version. Here's the later version following the "consultation period". It's likely some other minor changes are not shown.

A little birdie told me that there has been a bit of preferential treatment going on. "Apparently" there was a back hander between one of the developers of the new estates alongside the junction and someone in charge of the whole thing.

Thats just hear say but i wouldnt be surprised at all if it were true. Given little benefit the general public is getting from this junction and the amount of complaints about unnecessary expenditure. It makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

parsi wrote: »
    The main flows are Skehard Rd <> Douglas and Skehard Road <> Boreenmanna Road.

The main flow currently appears to be past the front of my house in Ardmahon

Andip wrote: »
    The main flow currently appears to be past the front of my house in Ardmahon

That's awful Andip. It's pretty bad over in Silverdale as well. This was all supposed to be resolved in November... it's only getting worse from what i can see. Must see when the next meeting is on.

That's one useless stretch of bus lane. Buses are never caught in traffic at the stage.

At least if it was going up the hill the bloody red bus could use it as a climbing lane.

parsi wrote: »
    That's one useless stretch of bus lane. Buses are never caught in traffic at the stage.

At least if it was going up the hill the bloody red bus could use it as a climbing lane.

One bus passes every 40 minutes. Its a joke.

Hogzy wrote: »
    One bus passes every 40 minutes. Its a joke.
    It constantly gets bottled up on the Ballinlough Rd. - is the 215 still going through there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

i started off from mahon at 5 just gone to douglas now-dam lights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

i started off from mahon at 5 just gone to douglas now-dam lights

What were you driving? A road sweeper?

Advertisement