Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

Looking at those drawings it seems to me there will be a second set of traffic lights to allow traffic go into Silverdale and the estate directly South of that. So there will be a set of lights near the bottom of the hill and another set up at the top as there is now?

In all fairness....what a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Had to go through this last week. What a mess they've made of the whole junction.

WTF are City Hall actually thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Ask them when its finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

WTF are City Hall actually thinking.

It's a package deal from the NRA. In a street near me we had a meeting where we or rather some of the residents wanted the road redone with traffic lights by the school and a widening of the road to facilitate school traffic.

We rejected the NRA's plans and the local community guard told us it would be another twenty years before it would be looked at.

What we got, no resurface of the road, double yellow lines everywhere, massive speed pumps and rises at each end that forces one out onto the main road before one can see oncoming traffic and an overall narrowing of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Went through this junction for the first time since they removed the roundabout the other evening. All I can say is LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ask them when its finished.

Well it's November already.... so we are past the finish date.

I'm still waiting for the "Most Intelligent Lights We've Ever Seen" as claimed by Laura "Idiot" McGonigle. If those lights had any artificial intelligence in the computer science meaning of the phrase, they would turn themselves off.

I presume this will turn out how the "better junction" in Togher turned out.

IE, lights will be switched to flashing amber with thousands then spent to return the roundabout. What a fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I presume this will turn out how the "better junction" in Togher turned out.

IE, lights will be switched to flashing amber with hundreds of thousands then spent to return the roundabout. What a fiasco.

FYP!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I go through it everyday for work, to and from amd its a lot slower then the roundabout TBH.

I've never seen an incident with the roundabout in the 6/7 years I've been driving the route but the lights, especially coming from the douglas side to Ballintemple/Blackrock can be a long enough wait at times.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's quite dazzling at night turning down the Well Road into the lights of those folks stopped at the top.

Laura McGonigle stated on Twitter that the current lights were just in stop/go mode at the moment and all would be absolutely brilliant once the job is finished in October November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

Laura McGonigle is a fool. A proper out and out fool. The new system is crazy, I use it almost every day and it is not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Fabio wrote: »
    Laura McGonigle is a fool. A proper out and out fool. The new system is crazy, I use it almost every day and it is not working.
    While I agree, it's implementation isn't finished yet - the system can't exactly be judged as not working when it's not fully in place.

That said, I've already made my feelings known on here regarding the destruction of a perfectly working roundabout, I severely doubt the road when finished will have any improvement on the previous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Well one this that can be said before it is finished is that compared to the roundabout with its seasonal planted flowers, its going to be an eyesore.

I loved seeing the fresh flowers planted and the ensuing display...

The new paths on the Silverdale side are narrower than what went before and in parts are quite narrow due to light poles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

Only positive thing really is the bicycle lane.
    Nothing worse that a bicycle lane ending before a rounabout saying "now, you're on your own, try not to be killed".
    Unfortunately I drive more than I cycle on that intersection.

Lutecia wrote: »
    Nothing worse that a bicycle lane ending before a rounabout saying "now, you're on your own, try not to be killed".

Have you seen what happened the bicycle lane by the GPO? It is a death trap because the council build this stuff and then never bother budgetting to maintain it. Pack of children with a smashed moneybox is how they behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

And then they do stuff like on Anglesea street (between market tavern and south terrace), where they make a nice bicycle lane, but don't work too much on the markings (saved paint assuming people would be smarter), so cars are parked on the bycicle lane (like before) and not alongside. Garda station isn't far but no one seems to be bothered. It's been few month like that, and I've never seen a car parked correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

And those who voted her in too..

Lutecia wrote: »

The cycle lane on Boreenmanna Road becomes a carpark for the GAA crew during matches.

Our local councillors don't give a damn about his. They do consider that protestors are "fascists".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

parsi wrote: »
    The cycle lane on Boreenmanna Road becomes a carpark for the GAA crew during matches.

Our local councillors don't give a damn about his. They do consider that protestors are "fascists".

Do you think that councillors will go up against the GAA 'Crowd', Not in a million years unfortunately. My girlfriend lives in this area and here estate is bombarded with cars, Their driveway only has room for one car so its impossible for them to have guests when there is a match on. Which in my opinion is totally wrong and the council should do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That argument makes little sense im afraid . It is a public road so can't stop people parking there. Assuming they take the spots your friends guests would be parking in legally. Stop illegal parking of course but that wouldn't help your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Ludo wrote: »
    That argument makes little sense im afraid . It is a public road so can't stop people parking there. Assuming they take the spots your friends guests would be parking in legally. Stop illegal parking of course but that wouldn't help your friend.

When revenue moved to blackpool all the staff started parking in private estates. A local TD whose husband isn't a murderer and whose son is not involved in drugs managed to get double yellow lines put in to all the estates in the space of 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So? That may mean estates are not clogged with people parking for work or a match but also nowhere for visitors to park legally ever. Big difference between those 2 cases also...one is a very intermittent occurrence whenever there is a match and the other is every single weekday (much bigger issue).

When are these lights with artifical intelligence being turned on anyways ?

McGonigle doing the ribbon cutting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

When are these lights with artifical intelligence being turned on anyways ?

McGonigle doing the ribbon cutting ?

It'll be like Skynet. It will bring about the end of humanity eventually. We can't have self aware traffic lights. We're all doomed when that happens.

Just on McGonigle's suggestion that they're going to be the most "advanced" traffic lights... How? How can traffic lights be more advanced than having a sensor to detect when a car is at the junction?

The absolute balls up of this is infuriating. Absolutely infuriating. I'd be genuinely surprised if they don't waste more money putting back in a roundabout in 6 months, like the junction by the Barrs in Togher. And it's the pigheadedness and arrogance of the councilors involved in the project is the most infuriating of all. The arrogance and condescension of them would make your blood boil.

There should be an investigation after this if

1. The junction causes traffic chaos and
    2. If .5m is spent returning the roundabout.

All councillors who voted yes should be held to account. I hope everyone in the area remember who voted each way. I think the Sinn Fein Councillor was the only one who saw a bit of sense and pointed out that there was nothing wrong with the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

But but but she clearly says the "existing rounabout was sub-standard"
    http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2012/06/skehard-road-realignment-scheme/
    If the roundabout was sub standard wft would you call the new set-up?

Also, if anyone here thinks the old system was better, you are totally wrong and that is "not the case" explains Laura:
    "Urban Roundabouts are perceived to be free flowing however this is not the case. In fact traffic signalised junctions typically outperform roundabouts at peak traffic hours when demand is at its highest. In addition roundabouts focus is on vehicles at the expense of facilities for pedestrians and cyclists. The Department of Transport and the Road Safety Authority recommend that where possible this type of roundabout should be phased out for safety reasonshence the proposed signalised junction."

Every 1 of the 14 beauties who voted in favour if this should be made drive thru the junction for 8 hours 1 day a week for penance.

cork_south wrote: »
    "Urban Roundabouts are perceived to be free flowing however this is not the case."

I would love to see where evidence for this statement is. They keep pulling it out like it's their magic trump card. Any half-wit can tell that the new layout is a messy roadblock, where the previous roundabout was free-flowing.

Also, if anyone here thinks the old system was better, you are totally wrong and that is "not the case" explains Laura:
    "Urban Roundabouts are perceived to be free flowing however this is not the case. In fact traffic signalised junctions typically outperform roundabouts at peak traffic hours when demand is at its highest.

What she says is correct. Roundabouts have a preset traffic limit after which they are not efficent at regulating traffic through a junction. However, this is simply not the case at this junction. I've often been through this junction at peak traffic and I have never seen any issue with the old roundabout's capacity at peak traffic.

In addition roundabouts focus is on vehicles at the expense of facilities for pedestrians and cyclists. The Department of Transport and the Road Safety Authority recommend that where possible this type of roundabout should be phased out for safety reasonshence the proposed signalised junction."

The previous roundabout had a zebra crossing on each arm. The new junction has a signalised crossings on each arm. As someone who frueqently jogs through this junction, I know that the new system is far, far worse for pedestrians than the roundabout.

With the roundabout, there was no need for pedestrians to wait for the lights to turn green to cross.

Every 1 of the 14 beauties who voted in favour if this should be made drive thru the junction for 8 hours 1 day a week for penance.

I hope she suffers 10,000 years of waiting on the Well Road to get through this junction in pergatory for her sins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I hope she suffers 10,000 years of waiting on the Well Road to get through this junction in pergatory for her sins.

Maybe she will like it. After all, how do you know that traffic congestion is in fact not the actual aim.

Advertisement