Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

gbee wrote: »
    Maybe she will like it. After all, how do you know that traffic congestion is in fact not the actual aim.
    wut? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

D'Agger wrote: »
    wut? :confused:

I suspect just like gbee that the point of getting rid of the roundabout is that it was working too well.

Since the roundabout was removed outside of Supervalu, there's been massive tailbacks between this roundabout and there. The point of putting up traffic lights here is to remove some of the congestion outside of Supervalu.

Ironically, they also removed the roundabout outside of Supervalu I suspect to reduce congestion outside the CSO.

In effect, all of Mahon, Blackrock and Ballintemple will pay heavily for a badly designed junction outside of Mahon Point Shopping centre.

Its a complete ****ing joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

gbee wrote: »
    Maybe she will like it. After all, how do you know that traffic congestion is in fact not the actual aim.

Well that's what the mayor of San Francisco thought when he was in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The previous roundabout had a zebra crossing on each arm. The new junction has a signalised crossings on each arm. As someone who frueqently jogs through this junction, I know that the new system is far, far worse for pedestrians than the roundabout.

With the roundabout, there was no need for pedestrians to wait for the lights to turn green to cross.

That's not quite true.
    There was no crossing on the Skehard road 'arm'. (Not surprising - there was no footpath on the southern side of the road)
    The crossing on the B. Rd side was 100m away - very inconvenient for pedestrians.
    The crossing on the Well Rd side was adequate.

These works will offer benefits for pedestrians and cyclists although nothing that could not have been provided with the existing roundabout in place.

Of course cyclist traveling east - Well Rd to Skehard Rd - are now in a much worse position dealing with the two narrow traffic lanes approaching the junction instead of one lane previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I followed an earlier link to LMacG website. And found this: Never thought I'd find myself feeling nostalgic for a roundabout.
    Oh, Dorothy, I think I see a bluebird!

well-road-roundabout.bmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

well-road-roundabout.bmp

That is quite clearly a "sub-standard" roundabout.
    It should be dug up immediately (at a cost of nearly €1m to the tax payer, shur we have money to burn in Ireland at the moment) and replaced by super-duper, hyper-intelligent SKOOT traffic lights!
    #LOGIC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

cork_south wrote: »
    That is quite clearly a "sub-standard" roundabout.
    It should be dug up immediately (at a cost of nearly 1m €1.5m to the tax payer, shur we have money to burn in Ireland at the moment) and replaced by super-duper, hyper-intelligent SKOOT traffic lights!
    #LOGIC

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hogzy wrote: »
    FYP

Ye, at least get the tax payers' money right, here am I complaining not having paid tax in ten years, which ironically makes me even more angry with this waste as I now live off taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I travel through this roundabout everyday. Have done for years. I'm gonna hold off final judgement until its completed but its a disaster at the moment.

It was working perfectly well as it was. Never waited more than 20 seconds at any exit in the past.

Whoever dreamed this scheme up is an idiot. Unless the new plan means you can drive right through without stopping its not going to be an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Heckler wrote: »
    Whoever dreamed this scheme up is an idiot. Unless the new plan means you can drive right through without stopping its not going to be an improvement.

Believe me, the without part is what shocked people at city hall

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I hear they are going to change the Wilton roundabout...putting traffic lights there...I don't even want to imagine the chaos that it will cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why am I seeing signs saying the Well Road will be closed for two days. Has any information been sent out? What part of the well road? What are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I hear they are going to change the Wilton roundabout...putting traffic lights there...I don't even want to imagine the chaos that it will cause.

Evening Echo (@CorkEveningEcho)
    19/11/2012 15:01
    City Council confirm that the Wilton Road roundabout is to go, and be replaced with traffic lights. #corkecho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

pwurple wrote: »
    Why am I seeing signs saying the Well Road will be closed for two days. Has any information been sent out? What part of the well road? What are they doing?

From the AA Roadwatch site:
    On Sat 24th and Sun 25th Nov, Well Rd will be closed from Skehard Rd to Churchyard Lane from 9:30am to 5pm each day

A diversion will be in place.

Ludo wrote: »
    On Sat 24th and Sun 25th Nov, Well Rd will be closed from Skehard Rd to Churchyard Lane from 9:30am to 5pm each day

A diversion will be in place.

That diversion better not be down churchyard lane. A single lane road with double yellows where everyone parks day and night. It'll come to blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Of course it will be along churchyard lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

City Council confirm that the Wilton Road roundabout is to go, and be replaced with traffic lights. #corkecho

God help us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is that City or County Council? No doubt its city council with these truly retarded decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is that City or County Council? No doubt its city council with these truly retarded decisions.

Its City to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not to worry, should be some time before it actually happens.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/11/19/wilton-road-roundabout-set-to-go/
    The change to the roundabout, one of the busiest in Cork, is not expected in the short term as the redevelopment of Wilton Shopping Centre — which requires the new junction — is not likely to go ahead for a number of years.
    It was one of the planning conditions for the new shopping centre that the roundabout be converted into a traffic light system before development could proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

That diversion better not be down churchyard lane. A single lane road with double yellows where everyone parks day and night. It'll come to blows.

If we're lucky enough there will be a GAA game too, just to spice things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It won't be as bad now that the sars road roundabout is nearly finished.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The new paths look like they are narrower than what went before. The ones on the Silverdale side certainly look slimmer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Anyone get knocked down yet up there ?

Banana Republic is well and truly alive.

Anyone get knocked down yet up there ?

Banana Republic is well and truly alive.

No-one knocked down as far as I know, but yesterday there was a fire at a house on churchyard lane. The fire engine couldn't get up the road with the traffic on there. The firemen had to jump out of the appliance, and run up the road. Thank god there wasn't someone trapped, because they would be stone ****ing dead with the delay.

I saw photos of the firemen having to run up along the road hauling stuff with them, I'll try to ge a copy to post.

No-one knocked down as far as I know, but yesterday there was a fire at a house on churchyard lane. The fire engine couldn't get up the road with the traffic on there. The firemen had to jump out of the appliance, and run up the road. Thank god there wasn't someone trapped, because they would be stone ****ing dead with the delay.

I saw photos of the firemen having to run up along the road hauling stuff with them, I'll try to ge a copy to post.
    Wasn't aware of this - absolute madness!

Just wondering actually if there's a facebook page or twitter for Cork City specifically where people can collaborate to let people know there's bad traffic in or around their area? AA roadwatch app or anything?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Wasn't aware of this - absolute madness!

Just wondering actually if there's a facebook page or twitter for Cork City specifically where people can collaborate to let people know there's bad traffic in or around their area? AA roadwatch app or anything?

You can phone AA roadwatch, but what's the point. it's permanently choked up. You would be calling them all day and all night.

You can phone AA roadwatch, but what's the point. it's permanently choked up. You would be calling them all day and all night.
    Ah no I was going slightly OT with it, wouldn't use it for Skehard Rd. - more of a general Cork traffic Question - could've done with knowing how bad the south link was this morning - was backed up to the Mahon exit - would probably have been quicker going via the City it was so bad!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Sorry for quality, crappy phone photos.
    So, here are the firemen... arrived, after running there.

2mnoig6.jpg

And here is the fire appliance, a while later, post traffic.

2cz4xvr.jpg

Advertisement