Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Man they are some bunch of tards. I drove past today around lunch time.. So coming off the South Link up the Lee road traffic blocked up all the way past the small roundabout by the cafe and well up to where that turn off in the pictures above. So get to the new super highway and wait no traffic as there never was there.

They have now put parking at the side when you turn left and im sorry but people are asking to be hit if they park there. Tis tight enough steering around the corner tis madness bleedy muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Well I'm flying home for Christmas tomorrow and haven't seen the junction for a month (I live ardmahon/churchyard lane area).

Are the super intelligent traffic lights in place and curing all human woes ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think they are on? Hard to know... I see no difference except the PEEK traffic vans have been there a lot this week. 7 weeks after they were supposed to be in, but I guess time moves differently when you are accountable to no-one.

The well road side is well botched anyway, all of about 4 seconds of green light before they go red again, no filter light. Churchyard lane is bumper to bumper a lot of the day.

pwurple wrote: »
    I think they are on? Hard to know... I see no difference except the PEEK traffic vans have been there a lot this week. 7 weeks after they were supposed to be in, but I guess time moves differently when you are accountable to no-one.

The well road side is well botched anyway, all of about 4 seconds of green light before they go red again, no filter light. Churchyard lane is bumper to bumper a lot of the day.

Ah nuts, my first taster will be in a taxi coming up the well road from the airport tomorrow evening......in some ways I hope the whole thing does snarl up after its finished as we should go back to city hall and ask for an explanation

You'll be grand, the taxis don't take that road anymore. I have been using taxis the last few weeks, and they mostly take the silverdale / ard mahon routes instead now. The junction itself actually looks fairly quiet now, as a lot of the traffic is now flowing through the residential roads instead.

• Advertisement

You'll be grand, the taxis don't take that road anymore. I have been using taxis the last few weeks, and they mostly take the silverdale / ard mahon routes instead now. The junction itself actually looks fairly quiet now, as a lot of the traffic is now flowing through the residential roads instead.

which is exactly what we said would happen.....I'm definitely getting stuck into this when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep everyone does it..So they have just created a big fail.. The lights are really annoying alrite like the ones by mahon point. I didnt mean to it now the other day but I was lucky just saw green so took off didnt realise there was another light to turn..my bad

Im just waiting to see what house around there is going to get a nice entrance or something or extra land to build an extension that has to be the reason for the madness

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Milly33 wrote: »
    Man they are some bunch of tards. I drove past today around lunch time.. So coming off the South Link up the Lee road traffic blocked up all the way past the small roundabout by the cafe and well up to where that turn off in the pictures above. So get to the new super highway and wait no traffic as there never was there.

They have now put parking at the side when you turn left and im sorry but people are asking to be hit if they park there. Tis tight enough steering around the corner tis madness bleedy muppets.

That parking is actually a cycle lane.

The left turn from Skehard Road is tight - I've seen the bus (which is supposed to have been facilitated by this project) finding it difficult to turn.

The bus lane lies empty .

The lane markings for turns are poor in that folk end up driving over hashed areas.

Yes, the cycle lane is badly marked. It is far wider than a normal cycle lane is, cars can fit in it, so they use it as another car lane. Articulated lorries cannot get around that new bend either.

And, as expected, the cycle lane on the other side starts and ends randomly. A road to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Yes, the cycle lane is badly marked. It is far wider than a normal cycle lane is, cars can fit in it, so they use it as another car lane. Articulated lorries cannot get around that new bend either.

And, as expected, the cycle lane on the other side starts and ends randomly. A road to nowhere.

Which is silly considering Murphy Transport is only up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Articulated trucks were always banned from the well road anyway were they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ludo wrote: »
    Articulated trucks were always banned from the well road anyway were they not?

No, there are no signs that say so anyway so i seriously doubt they are.

No they are not banned. Why would they be? There are businesses trying to employ people all around there. Business needs deliveries to function. for example, B&D windows are on churchyard lane. They get glass delivered in those trucks. I guess the trucks will have to come up through douglas village now, as they can't get down by the silver key from the boreenmana side, or from the mahon side with this layout.

Trucks over a certain weight are not allowed on some roads. Always thought there was one of those signs on that road. Have you never known that or seen the signs? Guess not.

Edit - In fact there is a sign although it only says unsuitable..not that they are not allowed (knew I had seen something about it there) :

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=well+road+douglas+cork&hl=en&ll=51.878846,-8.437924&spn=0.001343,0.002411&sll=51.43555,-9.49233&sspn=0.021697,0.038581&hnear=Well+Rd,+Cork,+County+Cork,+Ireland&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.878997,-8.437827&panoid=GAvGN-sOqqInY7vCyTTCOw&cbp=12,296.77,,1,5.76

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Taxi driver the other night said they are replacing the other roundabout with traffic lights outside the small café :eek:

He also said its once in a blue moon you'd see a bus go through the Silver Key junction.

I'm seriously considering actively canvasing against McGonigle at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Taxi driver the other night said they are replacing the other roundabout with traffic lights outside the small café :eek:

He also said its once in a blue moon you'd see a bus go through the Silver Key junction.

I'm seriously considering actively canvasing against McGonigle at the next election.

Yikes. Can someone check if that's true?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As in, traffic lights at GoGos on the Well Road? Which is completely free flowing?

Faith wrote: »
    As in, traffic lights at GoGos on the Well Road? Which is completely free flowing?

Yep. McGonigle prob wants to wreck that junction too with some artificial intelligence traffic lights.

Where the fook are they getting the money? They slash hospitals and schools for this bull? It makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Faith wrote: »
    I'd imagine the only reason for this is to control the flow of traffic into Douglas - traffic gets backlogged just past that roundabout into Douglas

If they're going to be putting in this many traffic lights then they're making it horrendously hard to get on to the south link

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

One other annoying thing about the junction is that when you turn down the Well Road at night you're met with a wall of light from the cars stopped at the lights. Quite dazzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

New traffic lights now working outside Silverdale too.
    Traffic thru Silverdale (residential area) is certainly up.

Nice one brave leaders, you've succeeded in decreasing what this €1m project was supposed to increase, namely pedestrian safety.

cork_south wrote: »
    New traffic lights now working outside Silverdale too.
    Traffic thru Silverdale (residential area) is certainly up.

Nice one brave leaders, you've succeeded in increasing what this €1m project was supposed to alleviate, namely pedestrian safety.

It is quite shocking what they have done.

1. Caused more traffic (more CO2 emissions)
    2. Caused a drop in pedestrian safety
    3. Caused Laura McGonigle to lose her seat on the council

cork_south wrote: »
    Nice one brave leaders, you've succeeded in increasing what this €1m project was supposed to alleviate, namely pedestrian safety.

Too many big words for ya there as I think you said the opposite of what you meant... Stay off the drink for a while :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Ludo wrote: »
    Too many big words for ya there as I think you said the opposite of what you meant... Stay off the drink for a while :-)

haha, thx for the headsup. :)

The junction is actually dangerous now & that's a disgrace !

I'm home since Friday & have seen two near misses already - the right green filter light is not working and both times people have turned right when the left filter goes green not realising there's traffic from the right.

Andip wrote: »

I'm home since Friday & have seen two near misses already - the right green filter light is not working and both times people have turned right when the left filter goes green not realising there's traffic from the right.

What a mess. The bus doesn't use the bus lane either. No point, as about 2mins after it goes into it, it needs to merge back into traffic when the bus lane vanishes again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Andip wrote: »

Have you reported this fault?

Have you reported this fault?

Who should that be reported to goldie? Do the gardai have any control over those do you know? I think angelsea street has some control over the lights at the dunkettle interchange, but these?

I would guess Bank holidays are a bit iffy for finding someone who can do anything about it.

• Advertisement

Surely faulty traffic lights report the fault themselves. They are intelligent enough to detect this and report home. These ones especially as they are the most intelligent lights ever. Aren't they?

Advertisement