Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

IMO, the junction is in fact now dangerous.

The left turn from Scally's direction to Douglas is a dangerous slalom, it will become a catastrophic junction with just a little frost.

Scarce money badly allocated, badly engineered, badly controlled and IMO, now an unsafe junction, perhaps with the exception of those travelling from Blackrock/Mahon and continuing on the Silverdale to Boreenmanna Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

pwurple wrote: »
    Who should that be reported to goldie? Do the gardai have any control over those do you know? I think angelsea street has some control over the lights at the dunkettle interchange, but these?

I would guess Bank holidays are a bit iffy for finding someone who can do anything about it.

You'd be wrong.
    Report it to the Gardai, who have the contact details for the on-call maintenance service. The only control Gardai have over traffic lights is a key to switch them off when a member of the Gardai does point duty instead.

Of course, complaining about it on boardsie is much more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You'd be wrong.
    Report it to the Gardai, who have the contact details for the on-call maintenance service. The only control Gardai have over traffic lights is a key to switch them off when a member of the Gardai does point duty instead.

Ludo makes a good point though. Skynet controls these lights.

And the bus lane ....... Whats is the point of skipping 20 cars (who of course will be queueing) and then have to remerge, causing more traffic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You'd be wrong.

Reel your neck back in there mate, I didn't complain about the lights, I complained about the asinine bus lane. I haven't been through the junction in the last few days so I haven't a clue if the lights are working or not. Maybe direct your sarcasm at the right poster.

Seeing as I am a nice civic minded person though, I might take a walk over there later with the baby and see if I can see the problem. If I see one, I will phone it in.

Although the guys are correct above... Any intelligent system learns and adapts. That is the software definition of intelligent. They should be switching themselves off on faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Have you reported this fault?

Yep I phoned traffic division at cork city council and its still not repaired. I made a point of walking from my house to get the id number on the traffic light so there could be no confusion

• Advertisement

You'd be wrong.

I did actually phone blackrock gardai but the station was closed so put through to anglesea street. In fairness I know a lot of the guys in blackrock and I'm sure they would have acted as best they could. Anglesea street is a maze though so I can't image things will happen as quick.

Not quite sure what the issue is with raising it on boards ?? It's a discussion forum and open for free speech - I don't think I could have done more considering I only arrived home from london on Friday

As a separate point, these cycle lanes where you have to cut across to turn seem flippin dangerous - thes a similar one at the entrance to Mahon point

The problem witht e cycle lanes by mahon point is they are on both sides of the road, and cyclists don't seem to have decided whether they will cycle with traffic or against it.
    The station was not closed in Blackrock, they no longer feel the need to have a garda sitting in the station waiting to answer the phone when they can be better employed outside the station. The phone is diverted to Control in Anglesea st, which is the command centre for all gardai in Cork City, and County.

The problem witht e cycle lanes by mahon point is they are on both sides of the road, and cyclists don't seem to have decided whether they will cycle with traffic or against it.
    The station was not closed in Blackrock, they no longer feel the need to have a garda sitting in the station waiting to answer the phone when they can be better employed outside the station. The phone is diverted to Control in Anglesea st, which is the command centre for all gardai in Cork City, and County.

Ok im not going off topic but having dealt with them for the last 8 years, technically the station closes 6pm Sunday & before anyone jumps in, one of the best stations in cork

Back to the lights

Yup, I think the door closed and no-one there does count as it being closed to the public. Of course the garda is better deployed outside it. It is a shame to have to use any gardai time with this stuff whatsoever. The roundabout could never go bloody faulty or need an on call maintenance person.

Andip wrote: »
    Ok im not going off topic but having dealt with them for the last 8 years, technically the station closes 6pm Sunday & before anyone jumps in, one of the best stations in cork

Back to the lights

The public office is closed, but the station is still open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

The public office is closed, but the station is still open.
    Why dont ye ring "laura" she is responsible for them...

She is too busy not giving a ****.

Given recent events, public representatives are possibly better off ignoring the ranting of anonomous internet critics.

Do you mean the recent event where the fire services had to haul equipment and run up the road to the fire because the appliance couldn't get there from any direction with the junction? Yeah, better off ignoring that one, it's only peoples lives and homes. I'm sure the firemen enjoyed the uphill jog too. As long as your route to the morning papers is plain sailing, fingers in ears, happy days.

Laura McGonigle knows exactly who I am, there is nothing anonymous about my email address or letters. Feel free to pop into the silver quay for a cup of coffee and a chat goldie, I am usually around at the weekends. :)

Given recent events, public representatives are possibly better off ignoring the ranting of anonomous internet critics.

Are you trying to say that a lot of the reasoned thought in this thread is "ranting" ?

There's more reasoned thought in here than in City Hall, who's only thought seems to be that the money needs to be spent before Dublin cuts it off. Unbelievable !!

Are you trying to say that a lot of the reasoned thought in this thread is "ranting" ?

There's more reasoned thought in here than in City Hall, who's only thought seems to be that the money needs to be spent before Dublin cuts it off. Unbelievable !!

It is.
    90% of it is ranting about traffic jams at a junction where WORK IS STILL IN PROGRESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Still In progress 8 months later on a small junction? Feckin disgrace. Seems more like a year though.

Ludo wrote: »
    Still In progress 8 months later on a small junction? Feckin disgrace. Seems more like a year though.

Ye, another part of Cork destroyed.

My son was home, first time in about a year, he took me and the missus for lunch in Douglas and we nearly had a crash making that left turn to Well Road ~ seriously not enough room, the other driver thought we we trying to ram her.

Pulling percentages out of your arse I see. The plans have been posted several times, along with their ammendments. People read those and commented on the effect it has on their lives. You have said you don't live in the area goldie, so nobody expects it to have any impact on your life. Bog off and let the rest of us discuss the effect it has on ours.

And yes, of course there is some comment on the ongoing botched works that ensued. This fools errand started in May and was supposed to be done in late October. In three days time it is January, that is a 50% overrun on dates. I would be phunted into high orbit if a project I was involved with went that far over time.

Even the contractors are doing things even they think are bizaarly planned. Why is storm water being redirected into the sewage infrastructure on the well road for example, instead of into the estuary?

So, does anyone even know, is it finished, or is it not?

And if not, why the hell isn't someone being held accountable for the farce that is the project management?

Transportation functional committee meeting is jan 7th 5:30pm. Are these public?
    http://www.corkcity.ie/services/corporateandexternalaffairs/scheduleofmeetings/Schedule%20of%20Meetings%20Jan%20-%20July%202013.pdf

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

goldie fish drop the attitude and reply politely (without the arrogant corrections) or take a break from this thread

• Advertisement

castie wrote: »
    goldie fish drop the attitude and reply politely (without the arrogant corrections) or take a break from this thread

I should drop the attitude? WHile the rest of the posters here rant away with ill informed nonsense, and personal insults against public representatives?

I'll gladly take a break sir/madam, and leave you all continue mumbling amongst yourselves.

I do not live in the area, however, as part of my employment, I pass through it on an almost daily basis.

I have yet to be delayed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I should drop the attitude? WHile the rest of the posters here rant away with ill informed nonsense, and personal insults against public representatives?

I'll gladly take a break sir/madam, and leave you all continue mumbling amongst yourselves.

I do not live in the area, however, as part of my employment, I pass through it on an almost daily basis.

Sound;)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Sound;)

Seconded.

"daily basis, never delayed" :) :rolleyes:

:confused:

There's traffic queueing there every day on all 3 arms where there wasn't when the roundabout was there. And that at 8 at night. You should see peak hours there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've got to be honest lads, the previous system was better by a country mile - but I live on Skehard road and to be quite honest - I haven't had any issues with the junction in the past few weeks.

Perhaps it is true that less people are using the road as a result of the previous delays and backlogs etc. but even yesterday when I was up for the day and Mahon Point was swamped with bad traffic - it didn't seem to backlog around the new road as I thought it would.

I agree on the bus lane but the dangerous left turn? The only thing dangerous about it from what I can see is the lack of a sign to show that there's another lane coming up, also people might mindlessly swerve across the cycle lane to get into the lane which is a danger. But that said, I've had no issues taking that turn.

Finally - can somebody explain to me how it's more dangerous for pedestrians now? There's pedestrian lights there which I would have thought would make it easier than the previous regime. I'll have to walk up there myself some night and see for myself I guess.

The main danger to pedestrians that I see is in Churchyard lane and silverdale. The traffic increase has made it very difficult to walk along the residential routes safely any more. I used to walk to the shop there with children. The cars are parked ON the footpath on one side, makng it unusable for pedestrians, and there is no path on the other side at all by the sorting office. The road is bumper to bumper with cars. Where do we walk now?

pwurple wrote: »
    The main danger to pedestrians that I see is in Churchyard lane and silverdale. The traffic increase has made it very difficult to walk along the residential routes safely any more. I used to walk to the shop there with children. The cars are parked ON the footpath on one side, makng it unusable for pedestrians, and there is no path on the other side at all by the sorting office. The road is bumper to bumper with cars. Where do we walk now?

I actually can't let my kids walk to the shop anymore as there's only pavement one side of churchyard lane and they would have to cross the road. Before the change, the road was ok as minimal traffic but now the volume has inreased so much it's just not safe.

On a good note, the right green filter out or the Well Road is now working

On a bad note, the right red light has now broken so when the left green is initially showing, the right red should be on - I've just come through and there's chaos there as people are seeing the left green and nothing on the right signal, so turning right into a flow of traffic coming from temple hill.........let me know when someone hears the crash please .

Guess we won't have to worry about the kids going to the shop anymore. It is closing down, business too bad in the last six months to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 the_ferreter

Total shambles the whole lot of it. I use the route every day and when im doing the school runs in the morning guaranteed you get caught at the lights. Before you used to just drive straight through the roundabout. Think some of that wasted money should have been spent on the lights further up the skehard road going into aldis.......if your coming from Mahon you have to dance with the devil to get across into Aldi's. Absolutely no light system for it. Only a matter of time before someone gets smashed up there......and they could yellow box that junction too to stop the idiots blocking the whole junction trying to get towards mahon point which is a regular occurance ...not that people take any notice of the big yellow lines!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Caught for how long at the lights roughly?

Advertisement