Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Owen wrote: »
    parsi wrote: »
    Technically Churchyard Lane runs from Well Road to Blackrock Road. Boreenmanna Road ends at the funeral home

Blackrock road is nowhere near Churchyard Lane though? Or am I wrong? I always assumed Blackrock road was the one with SMA church on it.

Oddly, my Satnav has a different name for the road between the roundabout and the funeral home. Must go out for a spin later and see what it thinks it's called. Google maps says it's all Boreenmana, but I'm not so sure. Will suss it out later on.

Churchyard Lane joins the Blackrock Road at the Venue. Navteq calls the stretch from the Funeral home to the Silver Quay "Boreenmanna Road Churchyard Lane".

There are old maps in the city council site but they don't cover this area unfortunately .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's 2 churchyard lanes according to Googlemaps, the one where Lovetts restaraunt used to be that this thread is discussing, and a second where the funeral home goes past the old graveyard and down to the venue. It's conceiveable at some point that they were the same road. Sure go back far enough on the OSI maps, and where I'm living is a walled garden and there's a viaduct behind the pitch n putt club!

The bit between the funeral home and the roundabout is listed on several online maps as Boreenmana.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's 2 churchyard lanes according to Googlemaps, the one where Lovetts restaraunt used to be that this thread is discussing, and a second where the funeral home goes past the old graveyard and down to the venue. It's conceiveable at some point that they were the same road. Sure go back far enough on the OSI maps, and where I'm living is a walled garden and there's a viaduct behind the pitch n putt club!

The bit between the funeral home and the roundabout is listed on several online maps as Boreenmana.

According to the in laws, the two churchyard lanes were indeed one road originally & if you look on google maps, they pretty much line up - Jerh O'Connor & Cork Con both list their addresses as Temple Hill.

Back on subject, I'm not sure how many on this thread are directly afford by the re-alignment, but I'm hoping together some heads together next week - too late to change the plans, but I wonder if there's a chance of getting the small section of churchyard lane by the post office made 'one way' in the direction of the Silver Key towards the Well Road - that would in effect stop it being a cut through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I like that idea andip, except it will not be enforced. Have you ever seen a ticket given to the people who park on the double yellows there?

I was thinking of a few bollards in front of the post office, to make it a car dead end, but let pedestrians and cyclists through.

The problem with double yellow line enforcement now is that the Gardaí don't actually put tickets on cars, so it looks to drivers who abuse the system that nothing's ever done, and it's a carte blanche to do it. Another genius idea from someone with no concept of how people and the world works.

• Advertisement

The Ordnance Survey call the road Churchyard Lane http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,570185,570863,6,10

Some interesting historic maps there as well.

The problem with double yellow line enforcement now is that the Gardaí don't actually put tickets on cars, so it looks to drivers who abuse the system that nothing's ever done, and it's a carte blanche to do it. Another genius idea from someone with no concept of how people and the world works.

That was some mad decision alright. If folk saw tickets on cars it would certainly make them think twice about their parking.

Yup, that, and the squads parked on the double yellows themselves while they go into ross's bakery for the breakfast roll and a doughnut.

To be fair to the Gardaí, they are exempt from the rules of the road.

The more I think about these lights, the worse it gets. It's going to be tough to keep traffic moving at normal flow times, at matches they're either going to have total gridlock (You read that in the malibu ad accent, didn't you?), or the lights turned off and money wasted on having a Gard direct traffic in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

To be fair, they are not when going for food. Emergencies only i thought.

• Advertisement

Apparently not, whenever they want IIRC. I've questioned it before in the emergency services forum - Gardaí never keep the speed limit/park correctly/obey the ROTR properly, and the answer that was given in the ES forum is that that quite simply, they don't have to.

Apparently not, whenever they want IIRC. I've questioned it before in the emergency services forum - Gardaí never keep the speed limit/park correctly/obey the ROTR properly, and the answer that was given in the ES forum is that that quite simply, they don't have to.

I think you may be shortening the usual answer a bit. Generally the reason given is a mix of :

"how would you like if we were late responding to a call to your mother being attacked because we had to walk 100ft to our car ? We were back after informing someone of the death of their son/daughter and needed a cup of tea. We had a junkie in the back earlier on and we needed a cup of tea. We don't have to explain for operational and secrecy reasons . What would you know ?"

This usually despite the fact that the car is there at the same time every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This usually despite the fact that the car is there at the same time every day.

Personally, I wouldn't take any notice. I do a bit of double yellow parking myself and I like the way they keep it clear for me!

I think you may be shortening the usual answer a bit.

No, I'm not.

pwurple wrote: »
    I like that idea andip, except it will not be enforced. Have you ever seen a ticket given to the people who park on the double yellows there?

I was thinking of a few bollards in front of the post office, to make it a car dead end, but let pedestrians and cyclists through.

Ok have managed to get a motion submitted to get a one way system in church lane - also hopeful of getting air time on prenderville tomorrow or thurs do fingers crossed

Thanks Andip! That is fantastic. I will be at work, but will try to get a recording.

gbee, the double yellow parking breaks my heart. The emergency services just don't goddamn fit when people park there. The delivery lorries to the glass people get stuck as it can't get up the road, and end up blocking people into their houses. It's there for a reason. There are elderly people living on churchyard lane.

Has anyone had the chance to speak the site workers, and gotten a timeline of when the driving restrictions will start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Whoever's selling the lights must be giving some backhander to City Hall. Ballincollig got 17 sets of lights from one end to the other. It turned what was a free flowing town, into gridlocked mayhem.

Something very dodgy went on at CCC there alright.

They also have introduced the ridiculous situation of having 50 metres of cycle lanes which then disappear and then appear again. The cyclist is probably better of having none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Considering how much money is being spent trying to sort out the traffic lights at Mahonpoint at the moment (new lights, more sensors, slightly different road layout, different pedestrian crossings, new variable light sequences, traffic volume priority etc - most work at nighttime) I cannot understand how Cork City Council can make a total and under mess out of a road system, that I have never been delayed on since I first came to Cork in 1996.

I would not be surprised to find out if the "Urban Legend Stories" about Cork buying thousands of traffic lights by accident turn out to be true, given the obsession they have with putting up traffic lights and to cloak this whole mess in "Pedestrian Safety" talk is total nonsense, there is nothing wrong the pedestrian crossing at the Silver Key and you cannot need to cross anywhere closer to the roundabout.

So much for "Austerity" Cork City Council seem to have plenty of money to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I wonder is it to make it difficult for the good folk from Blackrock, Mahon etc., to travel to Douglas village. Because when folk do they are spending their money in shops which pay their rates to the County Council. Much better to have this money in the City Centre.

So much for "Austerity" Cork City Council seem to have plenty of money to waste.

You CAN say that again.

• Advertisement

Just got a response from Cllr. Laura McGonigle.

It appears their new plan is to plonk speed bumps all the way up churchyard lane.

It gets more hairbrained by the day.

pwurple wrote: »
    Just got a response from Cllr. Laura McGonigle.

It appears their new plan is to plonk speed bumps all the way up churchyard lane.

It gets more hairbrained by the day.

I got that same reply last evening......maybe they could paint them pink with flowers to make the residents even more happy :rolleyes:

Speed bumps are great, if you do about 45mile an hour, you just glide over them.

gbee wrote: »
    Speed bumps are great, if you do about 45mile an hour, you just glide over them.

sure we already have them on Ardmahon & they make no difference - may slightly slow the traffic but wont reduce the amount of traffic

For those interested or affected, this is going to be on Prenderville's 96FM show tomorrow morning where he is questioning the reason for the works & also asking where the money is coming from.

On the map posted, Churchyard Lane continues down Temple Hill.

My Satnav calls 'Silver Key' Churchtyard Lane

I heard some of Prenderville and I defiantly believe that the €million would have been better spent fixing the killing fields of Parnell Place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If the road I'm thinking of is where they're putting speed bumps then that's ridiculous - it's a narrow enough road and has heavy traffic - personally I've never found myself flying down that hill!

Speedbumps are daft for many reasons, but the major one for me is the glass window manufacturing premises there. There are delivery trucks containing glass and metal going up and down that road every single day.

-What is that going to do to that business, which has been there about 25 years and provides local employment?

-What kind of racket is going to come from trucks containing metal and glass clattering over those bumps?

It's pure stupidity.

PaulieC wrote: »
    If the road I'm thinking of is where they're putting speed bumps then that's ridiculous - it's a narrow enough road and has heavy traffic - personally I've never found myself flying down that hill!

Nope that's the other unconnected part of Churchyard Lane - its the small bit by the Silver Key (past the old sorting office) that's going to get hit and they think speed humps will solve it !.

I've done up a map (attached) - the red route is the traffic coming up the Well Road to the old roundabout which will now be replaced by traffic lights. Problem is that the queue is going to 'back up' on the Well Road, so drivers wanting to turn left at the lights onto Temple Hill/Boreenmanna Road are likely to choose the blue routes to cut through the Ardmahon/churchyard Lane residential area.

The photo attached shows Churchyard Lane coming from the Well Road - dead ahead would be the car parking for the Silver Key.

Speed bumps may slow the traffic slightly, but its the additional volume thats the problem and speed humps will have absolutely no effect.

• Advertisement

That's pretty clear Andip. And you're right. They are directing traffic off the part off the main road into residential areas. And their justification is that it's better for pedestrians to do this.

I got nowhere with writing to either of the Buttimers by the way. Redirected back to Laura McGonigle every time.

Advertisement