Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'll try to locate the initial notice. I wonder if was sent by the council or by an individual councillor, which might explain but not excuse a scattergun distribution.

That would probably make more sense as I've been on the case over the planning for Lovetts, so very unlikely to have missed a council notice on the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I am just back and after seeing what they have done, jaysus tis utterly retarded. Why there and why the complex line layout, it looks like they are doing what they done in mahon point..

twats

Milly33 wrote: »
    twats

lol - couldn't have worded it better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Its a fine mess they have made alright, not much traffic but i will see later, or as someone mentioned the next big match (sunday?)

the letter and plans i got in my door were from cllr terry shannon, with a letter saying how he wants this done to improve pedestrian safety etc
    it was being talked about for years apparently!

pedestrian safety - thats bull..Sure isnt there a crossing just by the silver quay, and if that was the case why did they just not put more crossings on either side of the roundabout..

If people are that silly they cannot cross the road properly then thats their problem.I have seen people walk through the roundabout to cross it, now if that maskes sense to them off they go but thats their problem..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Just went through the lights there and did not see them.

It was all the one if they were red, I was looking to my right as I always do coming from Mahon and just drove on and only noticed the lights as I began to drop down towards Well Road.

It's looking really, really unsafe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Well in fairness, you are supposed to be observing your surroundings while driving and traffic lights (old or new) is certainly something you should notice.

New lights went up around Garryduff and Mount Oval recently and loads of people go straight through them. You have to be very careful when turning at the lights in case some muppet sails through red. Either they are on auto-pilot and do as they have always done there or they just don't care. Either way...ban them if caught...they are a danger. That would force them to re-evaluate their driving style and learn to pay attention again. Drivers not being aware of their surroundings makes roads really unsafe...not traffic lights.

Sorry if you feel differently, but you touched a nerve with that post....been in too many close calls in the last couple of months because of this kind of awful driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ludo wrote: »
    but you touched a nerve with that post....been in too many close calls in the last couple of months because of this kind of awful driving.

You are just emphasising how dangerous it is to tamper with existing infrastructure, especially if it discommonds the masses.

Anything that encourage bad behaviour by large numbers of people has not been properly thought out and it bad design by engineers. Maybe we need social engineers to advise the engineers.

I do take your point, but you've given me a reason to understand, until I've done it myself, I was unaware how easy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I see they getting rid of Wilton roundabout too, replacing it with signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

gbee wrote: »
    You are just emphasising how dangerous it is to tamper with existing infrastructure, especially if it discommonds the masses.

Anything that encourage bad behaviour by large numbers of people has not been properly thought out and it bad design by engineers. Maybe we need social engineers to advise the engineers.

I do take your point, but you've given me a reason to understand, until I've done it myself, I was unaware how easy it is.

Nope. Simply terrible driving not to he aware especially when works going on. No excuse for not seeing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Joanieb

Any one hear Neil Prenderville today? I heard there was more on it

Ludo wrote: »
    Nope. Simply terrible driving not to he aware especially when works going on. No excuse for not seeing them.

To be honest, the lights are far from clear - where they have removed the roundabout there's height differences all over the place - we're talking lights in cement barrels - surely to god if its that busy a junction that needs lights for safety, they should do better than oil drum filled with cement & lights perched on top.

The sun is low tonight & the junction is very hard to negotiate - Sunday is the Tipperary match -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Those are the temporary lights, the others are later.

I am so angry about the whole thing. I was nearly killed yesterday with my child trying to cross chuchyard lane at the corner to get to the shop. There are loads more people rat-running up the road at killer speeds. It is lethal, and this is only the start of it.

Someone will get hurt there before the council does something. It is so dangerous there at the moment, kids out, elderly people out, and traffic is zooming past at speed in a normally residential area.

It is obscene that the council did not square off the junction at the end, or put up traffic claming BEFORE the other works started. It will probably take months or years before this hazard they created is addressed. It is just mind boggling how badly this has been planned.

I totally agree. I saw many more cars (mostly boy racers) coming up through Churchyard Lane yesterday. The residents are raging! We want that roundabout reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

evilivor wrote: »
    I see they getting rid of Wilton roundabout too, replacing it with signals.

Are you serious?

Actually if so and considering the fact that there are now approx 17 traffic lights on the Main St in Ballincollig and apparently rumour has it that it is now Government policy to replace roundabouts with traffic lights.

I think that this Government policy is all about revenue, just think about it, how much fuel does a vehicle use while stopped at a red light. Now for the maths, multiply that by the amount of vehicles and again by the amount of traffic lights, then mutiply it by whatever amount we pay in tax on fuel. Must be a nice little earner for revenue.

I was stuck in traffic backed up to the other roundabout at GoGo's this morning at about 8:45am. For the first time ever, I went up through ard mahon to avoid the lights. Sorry Ard Mahon residents, but I was late for work!

Good job councillors. You've made a total pigs ear of this junction.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The traffic lights are absolutely retarded - I'm stating nothing new here obviously but they took a system and made it far, far worse for no reason whatsoever.

Same here for the first time this weekend we were stuck in traffic past the where they are building the new apartment place..Really driving the locals nuts. I was talking to my dad last night and he was saying that they done the opposite thing years ago..took away all the traffic lights and put roundabouts in istead..

We got the local news letter in yesterday too telling of the new plans for the marina and the park..Why cant they just leave well enough alone, i would like to know also how they are going to protect the birds that nest there while they plan for this development..And I had to laugh when it said Cork is always bypassed because we have no music event centre no cough cough what the Fxxk was the Arc built for..Thats right Cork city council build an events centre saying it it long term. hold two events there and then knock it down...Ohh did someone forget to give themselves planning permission, muppets.. really dissapointed in L Mcgonigle I thought she would do some decant work but nothing so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I used to work up that way and never had an issue with the roundabout. Went that way to Mahon at the weekend and saw the lights and was wondering what the hell was going on. Stopped at lights for a minute or 2 when there was no traffic around.

Must say it was a complete joke.

They've done the same thing in Togher with the small roundabout there, took it away and put in lights, then changed the lights to flashing orange, and then put the roundabout back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Macca07 wrote: »
    I used to work up that way and never had an issue with the roundabout. Went that way to Mahon at the weekend and saw the lights and was wondering what the hell was going on. Stopped at lights for a minute or 2 when there was no traffic around.

Must say it was a complete joke.

They've done the same thing in Togher with the small roundabout there, took it away and put in lights, then changed the lights to flashing orange, and then put the roundabout back in.

Where exactly is this roundabout in Togher? Can someone show me on google maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

As far as I know that Roundabout which was removed was at the junction of the Togher Road, Deanrock Cottages and Tramore Road.

If looking on google maps, just north of the industrial buildings were the bingo is now.

The council are total and utter money wasters with what they have done, they should have take the million euro and thrown it from the top floor of the Elysian tower and it would have been a better use of taxpayers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Hogzy wrote: »
    Where exactly is this roundabout in Togher? Can someone show me on google maps?

Pop this into google: 51.876763,-8.494088

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Feck sake I came to this thread late. I pass through the new Skehard lights every day to and from work, and have lived in the area all my life.

Previously there was never more than a three car wait, moved along grand. Now I'm waiting at a red light at 8.10 am with literally no-one around, and meet an artifical traffic jam on the way back at about 5 pm. I think I'll start taking the left turn up the small road to the Silver Quay, but that junction is a balls too.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone in the affected area had a vote on the traffic lights, instead of letting some langball in city council decide.

thefloss wrote: »
    Feck sake I came to this thread late. I pass through the new Skehard lights every day to and from work, and have lived in the area all my life.

Previously there was never more than a three car wait, moved along grand. Now I'm waiting at a red light at 8.10 am with literally no-one around, and meet an artifical traffic jam on the way back at about 5 pm. I think I'll start taking the left turn up the small road to the Silver Quay, but that junction is a balls too.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone in the affected area had a vote on the traffic lights, instead of letting some langball in city council decide.

Trying my hardest to get "the left turn up the small road to the Silver Quay" made one way coming from the Key to stop people cutting through our estates - my young fell nearly got mowed down after the match on Sunday by all of the traffic cutting up through Ardmahon to avoid the lights.

I'm starting to bombard Laura McGonigle on this as she's local and voted yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Andip wrote: »
    Trying my hardest to get "the left turn up the small road to the Silver Quay" made one way coming from the Key to stop people cutting through our estates - my young fell nearly got mowed down after the match on Sunday by all of the traffic cutting up through Ardmahon to avoid the lights.

I'm starting to bombard Laura McGonigle on this as she's local and voted yes...

Laura McGonigle ‏@LauraMcGonigle
    Skehard Road Realignment scheme:http://bit.ly/MzRqSJ
    Expand
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Big rant sent..Phew man i feel kinda bad now as I know Laura but on that side she is loverly I just really disagree with what they are doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Andip wrote: »

This is more of it, typical example of bad planning. People are naturally going to try and avoid the lights.

You're dead right anyway, that road gets very narrow once you get to the old school/Post Office.

The one-way on churchyard lane might help slightly, but that won't help the traffic, pollution, or residents of ard mahon.

I am going to try to get them to paint the roundabout back onto the road. I think laura mcgonigle might be fed up hearing from me. :)

The residents in the area are up in arms. The cars are queuing up every morning and evening. This thing is causing mayhem in Ardmahon and Churchyard Lane. We are going to arrange a meeting. People need to stop complaning and do something! Look up cork city council and write or email every councillor, TD or senator that you can think of and complain to them. The people living here want that roundabout reinstated. It's the only solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Every morning this week I have been held up coming up the well road by those traffic lights for several minutes. I think it is good that walkers are being catered for, but there was 2 ped xings there already and I never saw anyone use the one on the well road. Now I notice that the new temporary traffic lights are not doing anything for pedestrians. They completely prevent people crossing in fact.

If the reason they had to remove the roundabout was because of the rule that no roundabouts should be in urban areas why didnt they start with the one further down the well road, by hettyfield. That junction does not seem to need a roundabout at all.

For the first time last weekend I cut up churchyard lane as a quick way from the well road to the Skehard road, and I am sure I will do it loads more in future.

Laura McGonigle's webpage on it is just a copy of what the planning report.

I would like to hear more from the pedestrians and cyclists who use the area. Are you all looking forward to this change? Will it be helpful? I have seen loads of cyclists in the area over the years and I always found it narrow by the brickyard estate when there were cyclists around but other than that I have never noticed them having issues. I cant say I have seen many pedestrians trying to cross this junction at all.

Advertisement