Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

pwurple wrote: »
    The one-way on churchyard lane might help slightly, but that won't help the traffic, pollution, or residents of ard mahon.

I am going to try to get them to paint the roundabout back onto the road. I think laura mcgonigle might be fed up hearing from me. :)

If the one way system is put into churchyard lane for the section outside the post office (one way from the Key to the Well road), there will be no reason for people to cut up through Ardmahon as they wont be able to turn left onto Temple Hill/ boreenmanna

Its not perfect but it will stop the cut through's as no matter what road they take, they will have to go through the section of Churchyard Lane to get onto Temple Hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Clamball wrote: »
    For the first time last weekend I cut up churchyard lane as a quick way from the well road to the Skehard road, and I am sure I will do it loads more in future..

Sure, if one is coming up the Well Road [towards Mahon] then they have the LONGEST wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Clamball wrote: »
    I would like to hear more from the pedestrians and cyclists who use the area. Are you all looking forward to this change? Will it be helpful? I have seen loads of cyclists in the area over the years and I always found it narrow by the brickyard estate when there were cyclists around but other than that I have never noticed them having issues. I cant say I have seen many pedestrians trying to cross this junction at all.

I have been cycling up the well road and down skehard road every morning for that past 18 months, I return that way every evening, and I have never had a problem... until now.

They have split the road into two very narrow lanes just after churchard lane on the well road. Being a cyclist, I obviously stay as close to the footpath as possible but now I have to cross over into the right hand side lane as I go straight at the lights. The traffic is almost always backed up past where the two lanes begin, especially when lights are red, so I've found myself stuck in a position where i'm not sure whether to just stay behind the traffic and queue for the right hand lane with the cars or go up the left hand lane and hope that I find a spot where I can merge which can be very dangerous.

On the way home I had never seen seen traffic backed up down the hill on the skehard road and round the corner to Park Hill estate (think thats the name of it) but that is happening now so I find myself overtaking cars going up that hill and it quite narrow there at Brickfields as you say. Also they have three/four signs sticking well out onto the road just before the lights which dont help either.

All in all, i think the whole thing is a complete disgrace, if it aint broke dont fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I wonder if the €1m wasted by the council on this could have been put to better use implementing flood protection down the road.

577222_466484463361998_876463615_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Don't be afraid to leave a comment on Laura's website either, if she posts them!

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2012/06/skehard-road-realignment-scheme/#more-3229

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

murphym7 wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to leave a comment on Laura's website either, if she posts them!

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2012/06/skehard-road-realignment-scheme/#more-3229

My comment is awaiting moderation and I imagine it will be in that limbo for some time!

Absolute disgraceful decision to clog up this area by putting in lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

cork_south wrote: »
    I wonder if the €1m wasted by the council on this could have been put to better use implementing flood protection down the road.

Only flaw in your complaint is that one is city council (roundabout) and one is county council (Douglas village). Completely different pots of money. May as well compare with somewhere in Dublin.

Ludo wrote: »
    Only flaw in your complaint is that one is city council (roundabout) and one is county council (Douglas village). Completely different pots of money. May as well compare with somewhere in Dublin.

I was waiting for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Andip wrote: »
    Its not perfect but it will stop the cut through's as no matter what road they take, they will have to go through the section of Churchyard Lane to get onto Temple Hill

I see what you mean Andip, and you're right it will prevent that portion of it. However, it won't stop the cut-through the other direction. People coming down temple hill wanting to get out to douglas without the new lights in the way.

Plus, it makes it awkward for people who currently drive to the chemsit and shops from ard mahon direction. I know it's mostly elderly people who drive that route, as most people walk it, but it's a shame putting reasonable people out of their way just because of this stupidity.

Why not just paint the roundabout back on?

Oh, and my comment is awaiting moderation on Laura's website as well. I doubt she will post them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I went through this junction this evening at 5 and can't understand what the fuss is about.
    Does everyone realise it is still a work in progress?

• Advertisement

I went through this junction this evening at 5 and can't understand what the fuss is about.
    Does everyone realise it is still a work in progress?

Yes, Laura

gbee wrote: »
    Yes, Laura

WHo is laura?

Goldie, had you ever been through the junction before today? I was stopped by the supervalu on skehard road at 5:29 today. It took me 15 mins to get up all the way to the new lights. At no point over the last three decades have I ever been stuck there.

Was that anything to do with traffic problems further on due to Douglas clean-up or an everyday occurrence? Not trying to be smart or anything,...genuine question in light of the day that's in it.

Goldie, had you ever been through the junction before today? I was stopped by the supervalu on skehard road at 5:29 today. It took me 15 mins to get up all the way to the new lights. At no point over the last three decades have I ever been stuck there.

I worked off Skehard road for 5 years, and My credit union is on Boreenamanna road. That should tell you I drove it very frequently.
    I can not ever remember a time when I was NOT held up at the lights by the Super Valu. This evening I sat In traffic between the CSO and Mahon point for the standard half hour at 5.30. Nothing has changed, you seem to have just taken your rose tinted glasses off. The one place I was not held up was at the Junction where the roundabout has been replaced by traffic Lights. Even if it still a work in progress.

Might have been Ludo, it was a bit more crap than usual today.

Goldie, I am not talking about the lights at the supervalu....( Those are also a pile of crap and should be reprogrammed) I am talking about just past those lights, where it is normally free up past the park. There is normally no holdup there.

In your five years working down the road, did you think spending over a million euro on rearranging that junction was very badly needed?

Well to be honest, Like all roundabouts in this country, there was a good chance as a motorcyclist, you'd get wiped out by someone coming from well road who decided to go straight through, as you were on the rounabout, even though they were indicating to go to the Silver Key.

As for the super valu, I'm sure it would improve greatly if they filled in the hump in the middle that you have to negotiate where the roundabout used to be. Or even proper lane marking/ghost island for people waiting to turn into the supermarket etc...

I rode a motorbike for ten years around that area and never had a spec of trouble on it. As with any junction with any cars, you look at their road position. Cage drivers just don't know how to work signals.

I remember that junction being built and lived beside it for a big chunk of my life. There has never been anyone "wiped out" on it to my knowledge as the road is huge, and the visibility is good. Were all these accidents that we had a 'good chance' of being in during the wee hours and completely silent? Or are you talking out of your hat?

I rode a motorbike for ten years around that area and never had a spec of trouble on it. As with any junction with any cars, you look at their road position. Cage drivers just don't know how to work signals.

I remember that junction being built and lived beside it for a big chunk of my life. There has never been anyone "wiped out" on it to my knowledge as the road is huge, and the visibility is good. Were all these accidents that we had a 'good chance' of being in during the wee hours and completely silent? Or are you talking out of your hat?

Not talking out of my hat.
    Lost count the amount of times I saw the local Gardai investigating some minor traffic accident at that roundabout.

I'm glad it's gone,. I hope it burns in hell. So there!

Goldie, you are the first person I have heard to express that, so I am glad you came on to say it. In thinking about it, the road is actually now laid out to be much better for the route you are talking about, from borenmanna to mahon.

It has almost turned it into a T junction where the well road is the minor road approaching the skehard road. Before they were all equal priority.

I know the local guards, So I'll ask them how bad the junction was for accidents, maybe you're right... but honestly I never saw a single smash or anyone injured at it. I have had several near misses on churchyard lane and ard mahon in the past couple of weeks though, which in my mind has created or moved a dangerous spot off the main road and into a residential area.

• Advertisement

Goldie, you are the first person I have heard to express that,

I'm actually shaking salt over everything coming from this source. :rolleyes:

Lost count the amount of times I saw the local Gardai investigating some minor traffic accident at that roundabout.

I'm glad it's gone,. I hope it burns in hell. So there!

I'm sorry but unless I am blind and have missed things these last 35 years living next to this roundabout, then I think you are getting your roundabouts mixed up. I have never once seen any incident at this roundabout.

Therefore I would say that you are either:
    1. One of the 14 councillors who voted in favour of this.
    2. An employee of the construction firm currently working on it.
    3. A wind -up merchant.

(I would say you are 3 :-) )

Ah come on now...you are saying there has never been a crash at this roundabout in 35 years? Must be a real magic roundabout if this is the case.

Both of ye are exaggerating now.

Like pwurple, I lived there for years and years - my parents still live there. I also drove bikes there for 10 years plus and never had an accident, never witnessed an accident, never heard of an accident etc.............. great visiability, loads of space very free flowing.

28 years up and down every day maybe a few times a day and I've seen several accidents at the CSO junction, Mahon Point junction, Skally's junction, both Beaumont Junctions and the lane access to the Golf Club.

I believe I saw a motorbike on the ground once and a woman getting a ticket once ~ yes, it was really incident free.

Ah come on now...you are saying there has never been a crash at this roundabout in 35 years? Must be a real magic roundabout if this is the case.

I do remember tripping over it at 4am one morning on my way home many years ago - I believe I may also of dragged a buddy or two to the ground during the same incident.

And back in the 90's having dualling battles with local election posters that were stuck in the middle of the roundabout - someone may have sprained an ankle during that battle - again at around 4am on the way home.

Apart from those incidents there are no other incidents that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It's true to say there have been a few minor shunts over the years to my knowledge, however, that said, i doubt there are truly any accident free junctions anywhere.

Ive lived in Ardmahon for 11 years so know the junction well - I've also been a claims manager for Quinn(Liberty) for 7 years and in my time have dealt with a few minor tips on the roundabout, but all very slow speed stuff. The nature of the roundabout limited the speed.

In my experience, people tend to slow up coming to a roundabout & although some drivers chance their arm and try to cut out in front of cars, the speed involved is generally slower on a smaller roundabout.

The bigger accidents tend to occur at traffic lights where the amber light is seen as a sign to speed up by some & higher speed impacts tend to occur.

As I say only my thoughts on it.

I just don't see the need to spend that sort of money on the junction - I've been told that the road will be seen as a new corridor for buses etc and increase traffic flow, only problem is, increased traffic to the Scallys junction is the last thing you need. If there was a plan in place to continue the road all the way to the South link, I'd see some justification for it, but with no plan even tabled to improve the Scallys junction I fear all this will achieve is increase traffic through residential areas, cause a tail back on the Well Road & increase tail back at scally's. I just don't see why it's being done

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

28 years up and down every day maybe a few times a day and I've seen several accidents at the CSO junction, Mahon Point junction, Skally's junction, both Beaumont Junctions and the lane access to the Golf Club.

I believe I saw a motorbike on the ground once and a woman getting a ticket once ~ yes, it was really incident free.

You know - thinking about it now you are right - Bad accidents at the CSO the odd morning etc.
    Never saw an accident at the roundabout.

I'm actually shaking salt over everything coming from this source. :rolleyes:

Indeed, because I joined boards years ago, and have over 1700 posts on unrelated topics, JUST SO I CAN POST ON THIS THREAD TO LIE FOR THE CORPO.

Please let me know where you get your drugs.

They sound like fun.:cool:

Drove through the junction today at round 3pm again without any difficulty. Construction still ongoing. My colleague in the car wondered what the point of the change was. Same hold up at the supermarket as always. R.I.P John Bonham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

Few words on that (I live in the area and drive or cycle there averyday).

1. Generally roundabouts are very good to handle small traffic, and safier than stop signs (reduce speed but keep good flow). If traffic get too intense, THEN you put traffic lights cause they are the way to go. But hello, this is one of the smoothest junction around!

2. Cycling/walking: That roundabout is not ideal, but it's far to be the most dangerous place of the city so if it was just for that, that's a strategic mistake. As a cyclist I piss on myself in quite few places, but not there.

3. Boreenmanna Rd : Going toward the city, they recently widened the road at the junction with crab lane. It was really dangerous for pedestrians (no sidewalk) but now it's so wide and smooth that it has become a motorway. Cars are going too fast here now. Linked to the next point:

4. That roundabout : it looks like they are designing a piece of road when going from boreenmanna Rd to Mahon "bypassing" the rest of the junction. And I wonder if they are doing it to get faster access from firemen going from Anglesea to Mahon area. They are driving on Boreenmanna Rd every single day and I genuinely wonder if that could be the actual reason to make that City-to-Mahon axis faster.

Advertisement