Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic lights planned on Skehard Road. Still time to object!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Joanieb wrote: »
    If more people actually went in there and realised what they were voting for they would get a fright. They are an absolute disgrace, the lot of them.

Big problem is the politics, they will support each other and the 'party' rather than make a sensible ruling.

You may be familiar with the amount of times votes get passed without debate!!!

Joanieb wrote: »
    Cllr Corr was a total disgrace tonight. It's clear to me that he is either telling lies or he hasnt a clue whatss going on

A cunning individual, rock solid party line follower. Has Taoiseach potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Source:Evening Echo

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/07/10/residents-storm-out-of-meeting-on-roundabout/

Angry residents stormed out of the public gallery in City Hall last night incensed at the removal of the Skehard Road Roundabout.

Work is well underway on the €950,000 project to widen the road, to install traffic lights and create new footpaths. The removal of the roundabout was approved by Councillors last year but two motions related to the matter were debated in City Hall last night.
    Residents are angry at the roundabouts removal saying it works perfectly as it is and saying traffic lights will cause nearby streets and estates to become rat runs for cars.
    Sinn Féin Councillor Chris O’Leary, who voted against the project, said he rejected the suggestion that the removal of roundabouts was national policy, pointing out that the Minister for Transport recently turned the sod on a road project in Tralee that will have five roundabouts.
    Fine Gael Councillor Jim Corr said the work was part of ongoing plans to widen and improve the Boreenamanna Road and Skehard Road while Fine Gael Councillor Laura McGonigle urged residents to wait until the works are complete and said the traffic lights will be the most advanced in the city.
    Fine Gael Cllr Des Cahill said the motions from Cllr Chris O’Leary and Cllr Kieran McCarthy were opportunistic because all councillors knew the works were going ahead and they lodged their motions when concern from residents was at its highest.
    During the meeting the Lord Mayor had to twice warn members of the public that they could not speak or interrupt the meeting.
    Labour’s Cllr Denis O’Flynn said they were told that if they wanted footpaths then the roundabout had to come out.
    However, when Cllr O’Flynn said the public were being “hyped up” by other councillors the public stormed out. Many shouted the councillors were talking rubbish. One member of the public shouted: “We will remember this at the next election.”
    City Manager Tim Lucey confirmed it was national policy to favour traffic lights over roundabouts for safety reasons.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Andip wrote: »
    Source:Evening Echo

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/07/10/residents-storm-out-of-meeting-on-roundabout/

Angry residents stormed out of the public gallery in City Hall last night incensed at the removal of the Skehard Road Roundabout.

Work is well underway on the €950,000 project to widen the road, to install traffic lights and create new footpaths. The removal of the roundabout was approved by Councillors last year but two motions related to the matter were debated in City Hall last night.
    Residents are angry at the roundabouts removal saying it works perfectly as it is and saying traffic lights will cause nearby streets and estates to become rat runs for cars.
    Sinn Féin Councillor Chris O’Leary, who voted against the project, said he rejected the suggestion that the removal of roundabouts was national policy, pointing out that the Minister for Transport recently turned the sod on a road project in Tralee that will have five roundabouts.
    Fine Gael Councillor Jim Corr said the work was part of ongoing plans to widen and improve the Boreenamanna Road and Skehard Road while Fine Gael Councillor Laura McGonigle urged residents to wait until the works are complete and said the traffic lights will be the most advanced in the city.
    Fine Gael Cllr Des Cahill said the motions from Cllr Chris O’Leary and Cllr Kieran McCarthy were opportunistic because all councillors knew the works were going ahead and they lodged their motions when concern from residents was at its highest.
    During the meeting the Lord Mayor had to twice warn members of the public that they could not speak or interrupt the meeting.
    Labour’s Cllr Denis O’Flynn said they were told that if they wanted footpaths then the roundabout had to come out.
    However, when Cllr O’Flynn said the public were being “hyped up” by other councillors the public stormed out. Many shouted the councillors were talking rubbish. One member of the public shouted: “We will remember this at the next election.”
    City Manager Tim Lucey confirmed it was national policy to favour traffic lights over roundabouts for safety reasons.

The previous Mayor told citizens that they would have to be elected before they could talk in the chamber.

Nice to see that despite a different party it's the same old story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

parsi wrote: »
    The previous Mayor told citizens that they would have to be elected before they could talk in the chamber.

Nice to see that despite a different party it's the same old story.

Its called democracy. You elect people to speak for you. If you want to speak in the chamber, you gain an extra few stone and run for election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Laura McGonigle won't be getting a vote from a few hundred angry voters in Ballinlough anyway next time. She is an utter utter disgrace.

You should have seen the state of her in that room. Everyone else well presented and paying attention. She was in jeans that didn't fit her, and a manky old red sweatshirt. Hair flopping about the place, playing with her phone, playing with her air, looking at the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

582129_376083619124737_1268761628_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

^^^
    Whoever drew that up doesnt understand the meme.

Hogzy wrote: »
    ^^^
    A meme 1]) is "an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture." A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas ....

Not sure I'd agree myself, seems appropriate. ?

Hogzy wrote: »
    ^^^

They must be idiots so I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AlonzoHarris

New Facebook page in relation to the removal of the roundabout.
    http://www.facebook.com/StopSkehardRoundaboutMaddness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

New Facebook page in relation to the removal of the roundabout.
    http://www.facebook.com/StopSkehardRoundaboutMaddness

You'd think they could have bothered to spell the word Madness correctly.

evilivor wrote: »
    You'd think they could have bothered to spell the word Madness correctly.

I am Maaddd as hell and I'm not going to take anymore .....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

cork_south wrote: »
    They must be idiots so I guess.
    Not idiots, just incorrect

The work has stopped. All the workers have vanished. Apparantly they are builders holidays, and just left the place in the state it is for a few weeks.

Can someone tell me why they didn't leave a roundabout functioning until the new most 'intelligent' traffic-light system we ever imagined could be installed.

It looks like some godawful project management as well on here to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

pwurple wrote: »
    The work has stopped. All the workers have vanished. Apparantly they are builders holidays, and just left the place in the state it is for a few weeks.

Can someone tell me why they didn't leave a roundabout functioning until the new most 'intelligent' traffic-light system we ever imagined could be installed.

It looks like some godawful project management as well on here to me.

Imagine it. People taking holidays?
    The cheek of them.

Mentioned this million Euro project and rightly commented that there are more important things the money could have been redirected to.

It's no wonder that Cork have has had it's allowances cut as the caretakers have continued to display a lavish extravagance with public funds, the roundabout removals and the cycle lanes should be a side project within a major overhaul.

One notices there it very little road fixing, grass cutting and hedge trimming .... yet we get big money and hold it for more idealistic project when urgent works remain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Got trapped coming from Douglas the other day. I was about 5 cars from the top, and was sitting there for at least 5 minutes with no light letting us go straight across. Absolutely NO cars came from Ballinlough while we were waiting. By the time the lights turned green, the queue behind me was as far as the eye could see down the Well Road, and it reached the very end of the hill on the Skehard Road side. It's an absolute disgrace. In 25 years, I've NEVER queued for more than 30 seconds at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Faith wrote: »
    Got trapped coming from Douglas the other day. I was about 5 cars from the top, and was sitting there for at least 5 minutes with no light letting us go straight across. Absolutely NO cars came from Ballinlough while we were waiting. By the time the lights turned green, the queue behind me was as far as the eye could see down the Well Road, and it reached the very end of the hill on the Skehard Road side. It's an absolute disgrace. In 25 years, I've NEVER queued for more than 30 seconds at the roundabout.

Out of curiosity, which makes you more angry, the delays or knowing the council are spending 1.4m on the project? Personally I just can't decide.

I'm caught between the two as well. The delays make me more immediately angry though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A project like this should really only happen in the middle of the Celtic tiger when money was being thrown at everything.
    For it to happen in the middle of a recession just beggars belief.
    To make traffic jams where once there wasn't any.
    As stupid a decision as you are ever likely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A project like this should really only happen in the middle of the Celtic tiger when money was being thrown at everything.
    For it to happen in the middle of a recession just beggars belief.
    To make traffic jams where once there wasn't any.
    As stupid a decision as you are ever likely to see.

Thats the problem right there. A project like this should NEVER happen. Its never OK to waste public money...EVER!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The narrowing of the available road from Silver Key <> Well Road Junction is playing havoc now as well - tailback alsmost to the pub this evening at around 16:10.

There seems to be a carcass of a footpath on the Silverdale side - doesn't look all that wide considering the space available.

Yup. Tiny footpath. They need to fit in the bus lane and cycle lane. They have no funds planned to ever maintain the cycle lane, and it's only on one side of the road. the one bus every hour or so will make great use of that whole lane to itself.

The fumes from the traffic stopped at those lights are brutal. What a waste of everyones expensive petrol, chugging away there in traffic, pumping crap into the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

This is what we should do, all boycott the junction and use this route:

Boycott Route!

This is what we should do, all boycott the junction and use this route:

Boycott Route!

You'd be better off going through Firmount to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

cork_south wrote: »
    You'd be better off going through Firmount to be honest :)

Ha, you're right!

That's the route loads of people take already. (including me)

Problem is it is covered with small kids popping out behind cars darting in front of you.

pwurple wrote: »
    That's the route loads of people take already. (including me)

Problem is it is covered with small kids popping out behind cars darting in front of you.

Not to mention the amount of time you waste trying to get across roads with heavy traffic, and the added distance. It's hardly faster or more economical than going through the lights. Plus, it's unfair on the residents of the parks if there's suddenly heaps of traffic going past their doors, endangering their children.

• Advertisement

From the facebook page "At last weeks Roads meeting in committee at City Hall ,It was stated that the Road works on Skehard Roundabout were having very little impact if any on traffic/delays to the area.This view point was put forword by the some of the same Councillors who Voted to remove the Roundabout in the first place......... Some made this claim "as they were monitoring the progress of works daily"

Has anyone seen someone monitoring traffic?

There are no counting strips down anyway.

Advertisement