Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International charity work that involves manual labour

• 26-04-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I was just wondering if there are any positions available which involve manual labour (building, reconstruction ect). I hear that charity organisations spend time training people to teach english ect but I would be used to this kind of work.

I remember watching something on nationwide years ago about the Irish Navy doing some work in South America which involved building, which is what got me thinking about this.

Anyone got any info/knowledge on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Habitat for Humanity and Haven are two that spring to mind. Also Niall Melon or whatever his name is although I would preference the first two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The three above are the main ones. But you will be expected to raise around €5k as the fundraising is the only reason it makes sense to send unskilled labour abroad. If you have a trade then I there are more options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Trooperboyo

Yeah it's pretty steep alright. Suppose it does makes sense when they could just get a local to do the same work. I'm a science graduate, and the thought of doing some international charity work has been on my mind for some time. It seems that the really need teachers/medics/nurses so that rules me out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How about you teach Computers or something? Camara send people to Africa to teach basic computing. At this stage it would probably be for summer 2012 though.

Advertisement