Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is grade 8 in theory enough to teach in schools?

• 26-04-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

My likely career path at the moment is to teach in secondary schools. What I am wondering is if I pass a Grade VIII theory exam and have completed a HDip, does that mean I would be qualified to teach Music in a school?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

My likely career path at the moment is to teach in secondary schools. What I am wondering is if I pass a Grade VIII theory exam and have completed a HDip, does that mean I would be qualified to teach Music in a school?

I reckon so yes. I've even seen people without HDip's get teaching jobs because they have impressive qualifications. I suppose it depends on how good you are and how well you come across and how much you know and how you play.

But generally a HDip is required to teach in schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You usually need 2 subjects for the Hdip

DEgree First though, then do a HDip...

Not many people know though that the Licentiate Diploma from the RIAM is equivalent to a HDip and accepted as such by the teaching council...

Dont know if a principal would see it that way though..meantime keep on the lessons and go for the Associate diploma, the worst thing is trying to get back into it after a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Armelodie wrote: »
    You usually need 2 subjects for the Hdip

DEgree First though, then do a HDip...

Not many people know though that the Licentiate Diploma from the RIAM is equivalent to a HDip and accepted as such by the teaching council...

Dont know if a principal would see it that way though..meantime keep on the lessons and go for the Associate diploma, the worst thing is trying to get back into it after a few years

Thanks for the reply!

See I'm currently studying Commerce so I'll have loads of subjects I can teach anyways... I did up to Grade V in theory and I'd like to add music to the subjects I can teach so I was wondering if I'd have to do another undergrad in music or whether finishing the grades would qualify me?

See I'm currently studying Commerce so I'll have loads of subjects I can teach anyways...
    You would want to check your course out with the teaching council list to make sure what subjects are accepted within commerece.. I presume you're talking about Accountancy, Business, Economics?
    I did up to Grade V in theory and I'd like to add music to the subjects I can teach so I was wondering if I'd have to do another undergrad in music or whether finishing the grades would qualify me?

Hmm music is considered a subject with just the same standing as every other subject !!! , (that's the toned down biting tongue polite answer) so It'd be a degree you would need or music as part of an arts degree with another subject(or check out the RIAM Licentiate).

The Leaving Certificate Standard theory level would be about a grade 5 theory so do you think you could teach students, some of whom may have a higher standard of theory than yourself.

I'm presuming you're talking about secondary school teaching, for primary school teaching it is handy to have some competency in music though.

You would want to check your course out with the teaching council list to make sure what subjects are accepted within commerece.. I presume you're talking about Accountancy, Business, Economics?

Yeah, those for the Leaving Cert and Business Studies and Maths for the Junior Cert.

Hmm music is considered a subject with just the same standing as every other subject !!! , (that's the toned down biting tongue polite answer) so It'd be a degree you would need or music as part of an arts degree with another subject(or check out the RIAM Licentiate).

The Leaving Certificate Standard theory level would be about a grade 5 theory so do you think you could teach students, some of whom may have a higher standard of theory than yourself.

I'm presuming you're talking about secondary school teaching, for primary school teaching it is handy to have some competency in music though.

No, I'm not asking if I'm already qualified! I'm just asking whether finishing all the grades in theory would qualify me or whether I would need a BA in Music to teach it in secondary schools... Which I think is what you're saying?

Or, better yet, (if you happen to know) are any other type of certificate accepted?

• Advertisement

To teach music in secondary school it's BA(music and other subject(s) or Bmus + PGDE

Correct me if I'm wrong but the issue of only being able to 'teach a subject to Junior cert standard' is a matter between yourself and the school,,
    the teaching council doesn't recognise the 'only teach to Junior cert level'.

At the moment it is the school has the final say at the end of the day as to who teaches what,, e.g. a maths teacher being thrown in to teach science if a teacher is needed.. The teaching council has no control over this as of yet

Ah I didn't realise it was as arbitrary as that. I've just been going on what I've been told. That does clear a good bit up though. Thanks a million!

For music teaching you may also be expected to...
    >organise school musical
    >take and accompany school choir(orchestra) during lunchtime
    >accompany and rehearse with students for JC and LC practicals
    >arrange music for ceremonies
    >enter competitions...
    All the stuff you don't do in a PGDE (and probably not in a degree either!!)

obviously schools may just be happy to have you just teach the syllabus.

Advertisement