Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video card issue or something else?

• 26-04-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

A while ago my screen started to freeze every now and then.
    This was followed by a freeze with the displayed looking screwed up (dark lines, pixelation, etc).

Now when I try and boot up my monitor isn't detecting anything and I can't see the boot screen. After a few tries at taking out a stick of ram, or swapping ram around, etc I was able to get the boot screen but as soon as the windows logo came up when the OS was booting the computer would restart. I'll add that there dark lines and wierd distortions on screen could be seen at the boot up screen and the windows logo.

Now my monitor isn't even detecting anything when I turn on the computer.

I was literally about to put this PC up for sale and everything. Typical haha.

So before I go replacing the video card, would the general consensus on here be that the video card is the issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Would the card be an ATI by any chance?

Boot in to safe mode and see if you can uninstall or update the drivers.

(Safe mode is by tapping F8 when the machine boots up).

You'll need to go in to Device manager to check the driver status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Nah it's not an ATI.

And as I said chin_grin, I can't actually get anything to display on my monitor at this stage, never mind being able to boot into safe mode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If there is a second vga socket on the back of your pc,remove the graphics card,and see what you get from the motherboard vga socket.

No, there's no onboard video on my motherboard.

Also, I tried the other output on my video card but nothing happening there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,320 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what card is it?

• Advertisement

It's a Gainward 8800gtx. About 4 years old now.

It's a Gainward 8800gtx. About 4 years old now.
    Had a hunch.

Gonna have to bake that card. They were built faulty, with sh*tty soldering. Class action lawsuit and everything, happened 3 years ago with the mobile chips but it was only ever a matter of time before the same desktop chips failed also, and there you go. Read this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055805374

Haha. Wow.

I haven't got any thermal paste lying around so I'll have to grab a tube tomorrow and try baking the card then!

Thanks, Overheal.

10mins at 190C and I have a perfectly working video card again haha.

Thanks again Overheal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

wow, mad story, never heard you could do that with graphics cards before!! :cool:

• Advertisement

just cover them in foil to stop the edges from crisping up and yeah it's a pretty easy procedure, if not a tad stressful :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

It will still need to be replaced though.

Baked cards usually fail again after a few weeks of use.

Advertisement