Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KSC Visit.

Options
  • 26-04-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm off to Florida for a summer holiday with the hubby and two kids. As a MASSIVE fan of all things space related (and regular lurker on this forum) I am dying to finally get to KSC. I'm also hoping that Atlantis will be on the pad (we are flying home on June 20th). My husband is a bit concerned about bringing our two kids into the centre as they are 2 and 4. He has suggested that maybe I take a day to myself and do the KSC visit alone. Can any other parents who have done the trip to the centre advise on how realistic it would be to bring kids of that age? We're worried that they'll get bored and one of us will have to leave any tours to go and take care of them. I've been reading about some sort of bus tour of the facility. Is this a long tour that a small child could get bored on? I would hate to miss my opportunity to go there while there is still a Shuttle program in place, but also the idea of a day on my own toddling around isn't too appealing. I like to do tours / trips like this with other people. Also, considering the historic last flight of Atlantis, would there be a benefit in doing the tour as late in our holiday as possible? Would we see more closer to the date?
    Any pointers, help, insider information welcome. Oh, and any ideas on reliable sites for reduced price tickets? They're crazy money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

KazDub wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm off to Florida for a summer holiday with the hubby and two kids. As a MASSIVE fan of all things space related (and regular lurker on this forum) I am dying to finally get to KSC. I'm also hoping that Atlantis will be on the pad (we are flying home on June 20th). My husband is a bit concerned about bringing our two kids into the centre as they are 2 and 4. He has suggested that maybe I take a day to myself and do the KSC visit alone. Can any other parents who have done the trip to the centre advise on how realistic it would be to bring kids of that age? We're worried that they'll get bored and one of us will have to leave any tours to go and take care of them. I've been reading about some sort of bus tour of the facility. Is this a long tour that a small child could get bored on? I would hate to miss my opportunity to go there while there is still a Shuttle program in place, but also the idea of a day on my own toddling around isn't too appealing. I like to do tours / trips like this with other people. Also, considering the historic last flight of Atlantis, would there be a benefit in doing the tour as late in our holiday as possible? Would we see more closer to the date?
    Any pointers, help, insider information welcome. Oh, and any ideas on reliable sites for reduced price tickets? They're crazy money!

As i was reading your post i was thinking about that bus, it is a long trip and they could well get bored. Best thing to do i go with them . . . . . . . then go again on your own . . . . . then if you have more time, go again. I really want to go back there again it's fantastic.

The thing about the KSC is that it is also a nature reserve so you will get to see plenty of wildlife on the bus which could keep the kids occupied if you are lucky. There is also a lot of interactive stuff which should keep them amused such as being able to climb into a replica Apollo command module ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Make sure you arrange the visit beforehand - some NASA facilities require that you make your booking about 3 weeks before your visit.

I found this out when I went to see what I could see in California (long story - didn't get the email that told me I could get to the JPL till after I left....grrr!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was there last Friday. With kids aged 2 and 4 you will be keeping an eye on them for a lot of the time.

I would advise going on your own. A lot of the stuff is aimed at teenagers and adults. Lots of info on panels and explanations of what the items are. Boring to very young kids.

Yes there is a bus tour (Goes from visitor centre to shuttle launch pad viewing area, then on to Saturn V exhibit, then back to visitor centre)but a 2 year will be bored looking out the window or standing under a rocket engine. I wouldn't bet on seeing any wildlife other than birds. The 4 yr old may appreciate the rockets and the shuttle mock up a bit more.

Advertisement