Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Either Metallica's Some Kind of Monster or Paradise Lost. Funny enough both documentaries were produced by the same people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

tallhotblond

i watched it on this threads advice.its freakishly good.you honestly dont know who your talking to on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Watched 'The Cove' a few days ago. A documentary on the butchering of dolphins in Taijii, Japan.

It exposes a lot of popular beliefs about Japan cuisine i.e eating dolphin meat isn't actually considered normal. Dolphins have a massive mercury count which is dangerous for human consumption. Yet, the Japanese food industry will replace the more expensive whale meat on the shelves with this cheaper, poisonous dolphin meat.

The lead guy, Richard O'Barry, was the guy that trained dolphins for the Flipper TV series back in the sixties which catapulted dolphins into mainstream culture which ultimately led to the creation of various SeaWorld type attractions. It's depressing when he explains how 'Cathy', one of the dolphins in Flipper, dies in his arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ice road truckers , Deadliest catch , Ax men etc. Anything on discovery about people with cool jobs that I want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I watched Unknown White Male again recently. Facinating stuff about a man who suffers total amnesia on a bus journey and has to rediscover himself, his family and his friends.

I cant figure out if its a hoax or not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436864/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

The Bridge.
    Its about jumpers from the san francisco bridge. Absolutely heartbreaking!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

The Bridge.
    Its about jumpers from the san francisco bridge. Absolutely heartbreaking!!!!

yes!!!! It's very sad!!!! heartbreaking!!!!I must watch it again!!!! thanks!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

pulling john... another sport docu,but one you prob wont have seen..worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjShXQGSAk

this was good aswell

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Tetris From russia with love
    - documentry on the games creation and the issues surrounding getting it from Soviet russia and getting licensing rights to sell it, very interesting.

[url=]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6600940307313929454#Link[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

The Secret Life of Waves....

Documentary-maker David Malone delves into the secrets of ocean waves. In an elegant and original film he finds that waves are not made of water, that some waves travel sideways and that the sound of the ocean comes not from water but from bubbles. Waves are not only beautiful but also profoundly important, and there is a surprising connection between the life cycle of waves and the life of human beings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Grizzly Man directed by Werner Herzog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

Ice road truckers , Deadliest catch , Ax men etc. Anything on discovery about people with cool jobs that I want to do.
    they are reality tv not docu's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Grizzly Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man

cool and creepy documentary, someone going over the edge and getting eaten :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Truth In 24 - Its really really good. One of the best motor racing films ever.

"Truth in 24 is a documentary film detailing Audi's preparation for the 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans. The team is followed through several races prior to Le Mans, including the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 1000km of Monza. Neither race results in victory for Audi (although they did win class at Sebring) heading into Le Mans. The focus shifts to Le Mans itself, documenting the buildup to the race and the ultimate result of the race.
    Numerous Audi officials and drivers are interviewed through the film, including the eventual winning team of Allan McNish, Dindo Capello, and Tom Kristensen."

http://www.truthin24.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Cheers for the people who recommended Paradise Lost, I watched both last week and downloaded the book Devils Knot too. It's a truly fascinating subject.

Do you have a link where I can watch Paradise Lost? Can't seem to find it on youtube or google videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Cheers for the people who recommended Paradise Lost, I watched both last week and downloaded the book Devils Knot too. It's a truly fascinating subject.

Watched it myself part one and two, really fascinating subject, think ill be downloading that book tonight also, it will be interesting to see if they will get a re-trial in october, have to say im really thinking the lads had obsolutely nothing to do with the crimes. its mad so many celebrities are supporting them Johney Debb, Eddie vedder, axel rose, dixie chicks to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Do you have a link where I can watch Paradise Lost? Can't seem to find it on youtube or google videos.

I had the same problem myself, ended up getting on a torrent site (PM me if you need the link), part 2 is on youtube to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

I loved "Yellowstone"

nostradamus 2012 was also very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

me bolly wrote: »
    Grizzly Man directed by Werner Herzog

I watched that and found it absolutely infuriating at the way that unbalanced idiot caused his girlfriends death.

'The bridge' was pretty shocking, iirc I rented that without knowing what it was really about. I think it was probably on the line of being exploitative. On the bright side though the documakers did not reveal they were filming until it was over for fear of encouraging people to do jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

marwelie wrote: »
    I watched Unknown White Male again recently. Facinating stuff about a man who suffers total amnesia on a bus journey and has to rediscover himself, his family and his friends.

I cant figure out if its a hoax or not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436864/

Ooh, I'd forgotten about this one, saw it a few years ago, really good. Though I have to say I didn't really like the guy himself, especially before the amnesia (though they did deal with that in the film, in fairness).

• Advertisement

Have to say I'm loving this thread. I'm working my way through the recommendations and really enjoying the documentaries. Last night I watched 'Deep Water' (it's on youtube) and it was great, though kind of unnerving. I'm about to watch Restrepo now.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kopy

Paradise lost and most other documentaries can be viewed on this site !

http://www.iwatchdocumentaries.com/search/Paradise+Lost/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Watched it myself part one and two, really fascinating subject, think ill be downloading that book tonight also, it will be interesting to see if they will get a re-trial in october, have to say im really thinking the lads had obsolutely nothing to do with the crimes. its mad so many celebrities are supporting them Johney Debb, Eddie vedder, axel rose, dixie chicks to name but a few.

There is no way they did it imo. Its has some very graphic scenes in it so its not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Dark Days by Marc Singer. He lived with a homeless community in unused subway tunnels under New York. Brilliant!

So I watched Restrepo... I don't get the hype over it at all. I felt like I was meant to be empathising with the US soldiers but I couldn't; they were acting like they were in a video game, running around killing the "bad guys". What a bunch of ignorant, neo-colonialist ****. I didn't like this documentary at all, particularly the scene when they quickly glossed over the fact the Americans killed a number of women and children and felt no remorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

Susie_Q wrote: »
    So I watched Restrepo... I don't get the hype over it at all. I felt like I was meant to be empathising with the US soldiers but I couldn't; they were acting like they were in a video game, running around killing the "bad guys". What a bunch of ignorant, neo-colonialist ****. I didn't like this documentary at all, particularly the scene when they quickly glossed over the fact the Americans killed a number of women and children and felt no remorse.

I watched it ...............a load of ****e to be honest , was hard to take it serious at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

restrepo's main flaw was the portrayl of the commander, who was a bit to eager and largley inconsiderate in his actions with loacal leaders in a tradition filled enviroment, although he was also efficent if not overly blunt in his actions.

I liked it just because it showed a modern conflict which is still on going.

heres a video not in the documentry about Sal Guinta winning his Medal Of Honour.
    The quest to recover war trophys seems to me to be a a bad plan but video 4 shows the talibans use of anything for propaganda.

the commander
    the first shows their objective, a fighting outpost, you dig in and fight the enemy.
    the second video shows his primary aim, survivalof his men.

Taliban retake Base
    Al jazerra presenters, great... The americans should of leveled their compound. but future use may be intended, the british moved into some old russian outposts for their afghanistan campaign

and not related to restrepo,
    but this shows a report on a real taliban victory and again the propaganda associated with capture material, rather than the U.S leaving voluntarily (even if under pressure) as in korengal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Watched Tyson last night. It's his life in his own words. Really enjoyed it.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tyson/4od

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

I liked that documentary about wildlife in chernobyl, very interesting, the place is really thriving with wild animals.
    Also, current tv channel 18 sky has a lot of good documentarys, some quite dark ones about war, addiction and the sex trade, subcultures that you wouldnt even know existed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jacksprat

just wondering if anyone knows the best or a very good objective documentary in relation to the Nanking Massacre during the Sino-Japanese war?
    i can only seem to find almost completely biased reports and documentaries from either sides.

any help would be mucho appreciated!

Advertisement