Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

jacksprat wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone knows the best or a very good objective documentary in relation to the Nanking Massacre during the Sino-Japanese war?
    i can only seem to find almost completely biased reports and documentaries from either sides.

any help would be mucho appreciated!

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOlubQR9-Gg

Not sure if it's even possible to find an objective view of one of the worst atrocities in human history but I'm sure there are some japanese right wing extremists out there that dismiss the whole thing as one big conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Watched The King Of Kong at the weekend. Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Much thanks to all who recommended it. Far better than what the subject matter would make you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Latest one that sticks to mind is The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Absolute psychopaths.

Oh, and it's been said before but Cosmos too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wild_and_Wonderful_Whites_of_West_Virginia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Darwins nightmare.....Life on a great lake in africa

(sorry if mentioned already)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

There was a great documentary on BBC 2 last night called "All watched over by loving machines of grace".

Im sure it will be on the BBC iplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Caoimhín wrote: »
    There was a great documentary on BBC 2 last night called "All watched over by loving machines of grace".

Im sure it will be on the BBC iplayer.

Adam Curtis's other stuff - The Trap, The Power of Nightmares, The Way of All Flesh and a few others - are also phenomenal. Very editorial, the conclusions he works towards are often a bit more opiniony than facty, but they're beautifully constructed, and his style is very striking. There's an awful lot of stuff along the way that's fascinating and chilling to know, even without his slight slant on it. The Power of Nightmares is just an incredibly arresting bit of work, start to finish.

If you don't like the political stuff, The Way of All Flesh is more at the sciencey end of things. It's about Ms. Henrietta Lacks, a woman who many of us probably owe our heath, loved ones, and perhaps even lives to. Her extraordinary "immortal" cells were, quietly, the key to unlocking whole fields of medical science, and for decades even her name was a secret.

The Power of Nightmares is just an incredibly arresting bit of work, start to finish.

I couldn't agree more, a quality documentary.

"Century of Self" is along the same lines;
    http://freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=140

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

His blog is also worth a look: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Barrington wrote: »
    Watched The King Of Kong at the weekend. Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Much thanks to all who recommended it. Far better than what the subject matter would make you believe.

Watched this last night, was great, classic tale of good v's evil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

My god, Billy Mitchell is an unbelievable tosser isn't he? Almost everything he does and says in that doc makes me want to smack him in the jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Loose change 2 is quite good c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

2 that really open your mind and look at history/reality today in a different light

The Century of Self
    Guns, germs and steel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

He's got a new docu just out, was on BBC the other night, should be on Iplayer. Adam Curtis I think is his name and its called something like "...being looked over by machines"
    I couldn't agree more, a quality documentary.

"Century of Self" is along the same lines;
    http://freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=140

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Do you have a link where I can watch Paradise Lost? Can't seem to find it on youtube or google videos.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/paradise-lost/

Really should come with a warning though - I think the opening scene will stay with me for the rest of my life...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Just finshed watching the Walking with Monsters and Dinosaurs BBC Series, well worth the watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He's got a new docu just out, was on BBC the other night, should be on Iplayer. Adam Curtis I think is his name and its called something like "...being looked over by machines"

"All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace".

It's excellent stuff.

Hey does anyone remember the documentary that was in the cinema about 6 months ago. It was about the financial crash, specifically in the US?

Hey does anyone remember the documentary that was in the cinema about 6 months ago. It was about the financial crash, specifically in the US?

Inside Job:

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Inside Job:

Thanks Funglegunk. Any idea if it is out on DVD yet?

• Advertisement

Thanks Funglegunk. Any idea if it is out on DVD yet?

Yep, it is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

National Geographic docu called journey to the edge of the universe,amazing cgi effects,tried to buy it off thier website but it's only available in region 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

I really enjoyed the Mike Tyson documentary. But my all time fav documentary is hands down got to be, Pumping Iron with Arnie and the incredible hulk. Just brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

Oh i just thought of another one. Cat Dancers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Exit through the gift shop - Banksy

Food Inc and Food matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mg1798

Alone in Four Walls, its about a Russian reform school for young male offenders ranging from murderers to thieves also Escaping North Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Opelfruit

Barrington wrote: »
    Watched this last night, was great, classic tale of good v's evil
    I always used to roll my eyes at the news of Hollywood's latest "comedy" release. The plot usually involves an outsiders struggle to beat the system in some unusual competitive sub-culture. Think Dodgeball, Blades of Glory or Kingpin. There's no such thing as an evil dodgeballer or 10-pin bowler I thought. This documentary, King of Kong, has proved me wrong! Utterly, utterly wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Anything from David Attenborough... wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Anything by David Attenbouragh; he's incrediable.

The World at War

Mayday/Air Crash Investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

Anvil: The Story of Anvil

It's the story of the one 1980's hair metal band that didn't make it and how they're still trying 30 years later.
    Amazing doc!

Advertisement