Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Woodstock
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066580/

Really interesting to see what the festival that has passed into legend was really like. Great music too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Anvil had me on the edge of my seat towards the end. I don't think I've ever been quite so invested in the conclusion of a documentary before. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Blair witch, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

One of the girls in this was killed by the Green River Killer 3 years after this was made in 1987.

Lulu, the butch hardnut, was killed in 1985 on the streets.

These are some tough kids, never had a chance...13 year olds prostituting themselves like its perfectly normal behaviour. And one of the mothers actually condones it because of the extra money. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

"My Car is My Lover".........seriously weird:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Does Ed Wood (the move) count??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Wood_(film)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The World at War

Yeah, I just came in to post that. 26 hour long episodes narrated by Laurance Olivier. Epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Is 'The Lovers Guide' a documentary? cus it was shíte

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Watched Lemmy recently, an insight into the living legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Just watched Senna... talk about goosebumps

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pretty much anything on the BBC is good, American documentaries are for the most part terrible unless PBS do them. Watched a good one on dogs recently.

If a documentaries about humans, chimps, dogs or drugs I'll usually watch it without a second hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I LOVED The Rape Of Europa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

I watched "In the Land of the Free" last night, about the Angola 3; 2 of whom have been locked up in solitary confinement for the last 39 years, for a crime they, in all likelihood, didn't commit.

Powerful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Can't believe no-one has mentioned the Impossible Job with Graham Taylor, England manager for their '94 World Cup campaign. Brilliant film that goes way above the standard football doc. DO I NOT LIKE THAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

occupation 101, about life in palestine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is Spinal Tap;
    The Fog of War;
    Guns, Germs and Steel (book and documentary).

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Rocky Road to Dublin is worth a watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Road_to_Dublin_%28film%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

not sure if its been mentioned - the elephant man docu. its on disovery again tonight at 10. was on c4 earlier in the week although i saw it on discovery before. its very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Touching the Void
    Supersize me- Morgan Spurlock
    Yellowstone (very beautiful)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Funglegunk wrote: »
    My god, Billy Mitchell is an unbelievable tosser isn't he? Almost everything he does and says in that doc makes me want to smack him in the jaw.

The fact that all the nerds think he's a legend hang on every word he says makes it even worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

Cocaine Cowboys is just different class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

OMFG! Myself and the missus just watched Dear Zachary. We were inconsolable! I appreciate the recommendation here but, talking about it afterwards, we agreed we'd be hard pushed to recommend it to somebody we knew in a "you'll enjoy this" kind of way.

We're both curious how granny and grandpa Bagby are getting on since. Haven't found any useful links yet. Would appreciate if anyone had any info.

Have a few more docs ready and waiting from this thread which will hopefully be good, and a lot less emotionally challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Catfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

I find documentaries about Chernobyl (and lesser-so the Twin-Towers) interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The Nazis: A warning from history (BBC) is one I bought on DVD and I think it's incredible. Also I saw the Senna one in the cinema this week and it's pretty awesome.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The fact that all the nerds think he's a legend hang on every word he says makes it even worse

I know - loking at him made by physically ill. He's awful. Good film though :)

I watched Dear Zachary on the basis of this thread and sobbed. I did reccommend it to friends and they also both cried. Don't think they were too impressed with me though, because it's so sad :o

I've also started watching the American civil war on the basis of this thread and it's really good. Watched the first 2 episodes last night and am currently getting the rest. Really enjoyed it.

We're also currently watching another documentary which I'd recommend, it's a BBC documenry called All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace. It was aired quite recently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_%28television_documentary_series%29

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

BBC - Absolute Zero

Not the best, but the best recently. The BBC did a documentary on the understanding of cold and heat and the pursuit of absolute zero.

Amazing how recent the 'science of cold' is.

Everything from an English King being shown a primitive air conditioner in 1620, to a Bose–Einstein condensate, via Clarence Frank (Captain) Birdseye.

I love it when the origins of a measuring unit is explained.. and they do that a good bit in this one.

[cough] [cough] Search for the following on YouTube:

Absolute Zero - 01 of 02.avi
    Absolute Zero - 02 of 02.avi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

http://www.answers.com/topic/fourteen-days-in-may-the-capital-punishment-debate
    apparently its hard to get the original long version now. searing traumatic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Some great watching mentioned so far!

The Smashing Machine - the tale of a mixed martial artists rise to the top and utter collapse following a brutal addiction to painkillers. HBO at its best.

Trawlermen - an insight into one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet. The daily slog, effect on their families and the rush to get their catch to market on time.

Shoah - a labour of love from the director who travelled throughout Europe recording evidence of the holcaust, going so far as to secretly film an SS man (he got a beating for this afterwards). At 10 hours long - with some harrowing interviews, its a hard but rewarding watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

The Fidel Castro one by Oliver Stone - Commandante.

Hear Fidel talk about his favorite films and movie stars! Great insight to the man and brave filmmaking of Oliver Stone considering the US stance on Cuba.

Advertisement