Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

It was entitled ''Our Daily Bread'' . . . . .it was a two hour documentary about the journey that food makes and those people who work to bring it to us. . . It was shot in eastern europe and the only sounds from the documentary came from the machines or livestock. . Nobody spoke througout the whole think . . Pretty amazing stuff- one clip showed a cow being lifted up by a mechanical arm, rotated, stunned, slaughtered and sent down a conveyor belt all in the space of a 40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 carlowed

the bridge, on youtube about people jumping off the golden gate bridge, very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Senna. Stunning documentary. Really captures the spirit of the man.

+1 on Choosing to Die also. Powerful and fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Defamation - Yoav Shamir - Full Documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im watching Mysteries of the universe at the minute theres only four parts but it is very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Many years ago I saw a documentary about several guys who skateboarded down along the entire coast of California in the '70's (or maybe it was the early 80's). I can't remember the name of it and I've never seen it since, if anyone has a link to it I'd be grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The_Thing wrote: »
    Many years ago I saw a documentary about several guys who skateboarded down along the entire coast of California in the '70's (or maybe it was the early 80's). I can't remember the name of it and I've never seen it since, if anyone has a link to it I'd be grateful.
    Is it lords of dogtown or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

hearts of darkness
    mc5 - a true testimonial
    The War - ken burns
    exit through the gift shop
    the filth & the fury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

hearts of darkness
    mc5 - a true testimonial
    The War - ken burns
    exit through the gift shop
    the filth & the fury

Forgot about that one, that's a great one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Am currently watching BBC's "Planet Earth" on BluRay with David Attenborough and it is absolutely brilliant I think.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The series that showed the construction of the worlds greatest..bell Rock lighthouse/empire state/brooklyn bridge and others.iT'S the only type of thing i watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Is it lords of dogtown or something like that

Thanks for that.

I've never seen Dogtown so I'm not sure if it is based on the documentary I saw. As far as I remember these three or four guys set out specifically to skateboard down the Pacific Coast Highway. I can recall the graininess of the footage due to the film stock in use at the time. Must check out Lords Of Dogtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Spinal Tap. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Earth: The power of the planet.

Another top class BBC documentary detailing the elements that make up our planet, how they effected the formation and how they affect us now. Stunning on bluray. If you liked Earth, or it's bigger brother Planet Earth, you'll love this too. Not Attenborough but IMO Iain Stewart is every bit as affable and watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Any of David Attenborough's narrated Documentaries/Nature Shows are brilliant, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Life etc. Really shows the fascinating side of the Natural World.

The bit about the Ants 2 Minutes into the video is amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bag of Poo

ZEITGEIST

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Hands down The Ascent Of Man by Jacob Bronowski.

A brilliant mathematician and biologist and in his mid sixties in 1973 created a documentary series and talks directly at you and communicates his knowledge to you.

Here is the first bit. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98489326170915

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

chakotha wrote: »
    Hands down The Ascent Of Man by Jacob Bronowski.

A brilliant mathematician and biologist and in his mid sixties in 1973 created a documentary series and talks directly at you and communicates his knowledge to you.

Here is the first bit. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98489326170915

GOD yes, I could listen to that man explain anything. I'd love to be his student.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Bag of Poo

No way, that Bronowski ain't got a thing on Brian Cox.

He's the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Most anything by Errol Morris. Really interesting vignettes. Insights into stuff you wouldn't even think of!

Werner Herzog's documentaries. Grizzly man, for example, is un-turn-offable.

'The end of the line' by Rupert Murray. About the modern fishing industry, and what is in store if industrial fishing continues unabated.

'TV Junkie', about Rick Kirkham.

I love documentaries, and once I got into them, I uncovered more and more.

I remember watching as a kid on saturday mornigs before Anything Goes became mainstream on between the Invisibe Man and Sierra . I should move to the nostalgia forium!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Three of my favourites.

Capturing the Friedmans (about a family torn apart by charges agains the father and son raping kids. reallly good)

King of Kong (about a guy who challenges the Donkey Kong champion of the world -this is amazing!)

The Devil and Daniel Johnston - about the musician, but just such a great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Ray. It's more of a biography though, but still really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350258/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Jesus Camp.......... Crazy to see the carry on of Christian fundamentalists as they literally terrify the young kids at this summer camp:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Encounters at the end of the World, about Antarctica and the people that live there. And Dark Days, documenting the lives of homeless people living under New York City. Must see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭locked_out

Man on WIre:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Don't know if this has been mentioned in an earlier post but my vote goes to Manufacturing Consent : Noam Chomsky and the Media. I first saw this when it was screened at the Galway Film Fleadh sometime back in the early 90s and it included a Q&A session with the film makers.Powerful stuff at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_Consent:_Noam_Chomsky_and_the_Media

Advertisement