Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cirque Du Freak

King of Kong:D it's for the computer game lovers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Legends Of Flight ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130089/ )

A documentary about boeing 787 dreamliner. One of a few documentarier that I actually finished watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

PUNK:ATTITUDE. A film by Don Letts which takes an original look at the whole Punk movement on both sides of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Conan O' Brien Cant Stop ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1864288/ )

Its all about his life between NBC fiasco and starting at his new show. Its pretty interesting to see how he coped with all the stress and sadness. Plus, there are some seriously funny moments too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Documentary film on jazz trumpeter Chet Baker -

fingers crossed, my first one will be broadcast before Christmas ... all going to plan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 andyreville

Anvil-The Story Of Anvil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

thebaz wrote: »
    Documentary film on jazz trumpeter Chet Baker -

fingers crossed, my first one will be broadcast before Christmas ... all going to plan

Nice one, what's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Anvil-The Story Of Anvil.

Whats it about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Senna

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Nice one, what's it about?

will disclose closer to date - I'm hopefull , it will come out before Christmas - but the way things are in this country , i'm prepared for the worst - but fingers crossed my dream will come to fruitition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Channel 4: It was about ..I think a English duchess back in ww2 who turned nazis and was rumoured to of had Hitlers child in a nurses home...

Was cool :)

Nat. Geo: Also, the mystery of the romanovs. They were testing bones they found in Russia... Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

The Arrivals - a real eye opener...

Louis Theroux The Ultra Zionists

+1 for Occupation 101

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Channel 4: It was about ..I think a English duchess back in ww2 who turned nazis and was rumoured to of had Hitlers child in a nurses home...

Was cool :)

That was about a woman called "Unity Mitford". It was a great doc :)

Here in 5 parts.

punk77 wrote: »
    PUNK:ATTITUDE. A film by Don Letts which takes an original look at the whole Punk movement on both sides of the Atlantic.

Have that on DVD, it's great !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No idea if it has been mentioned yet, but Grand Prix: The Killer Years is a great if somewhat downbeat documentary on the safety or lack of it from 1961 to 1973 by the BBC this year..

The last incident in the last five minutes is particularly sobering of a driver running up to a burning car, hearing the driver burning alive inside and nothing was done as the race continued on around it. His realisation is hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

The Pipe - Fascinating in that it deals with the power of a big corp on our doorstep.
    Marathon Boy - The bizarre and sad tail of an indian slum boy "rescued" by a dodgy judo teacher.
    Little Dieter Needs to Fly - An excellent Werner Herzog docu. He later made Rescue Dawn with Christian Bale portraying Dieter Dengler. Watching the docu you have to wonder who is the more mental Herzog or Dengler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

dfx- wrote: »
    No idea if it has been mentioned yet, but Grand Prix: The Killer Years is a great if somewhat downbeat documentary on the safety or lack of it from 1961 to 1973 by the BBC this year......

It's amazing that no driver has been killed in over 17 years while racing. Really a testament to changing attitudes and unbelievable technological advances in the recent past. The same tech. has filtered down to road cars, and is saving countless lives today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Incidents like that last one are there for the positives to be taken from them. All the other notorious accidents are usually arguably freak, high speed racing incidents.

This lad died because no-one reacted quick enough and a lack of preparation and engagement with what was going on. At a new 'safe' track. He was alive when the car stopped upside down.

It's that preparation and reaction time which is what improved, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Apart from Senna, Hoop Dreams is a must see about two African American boys wishing to become NBA stars. I want to watch Waltzing With Bashir, it's about a man that had such bad moments in the Israeli army that he completely forgot what happened and his memories are like he is looking from the outside, he wants to rediscover what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ponchartrain

Best I have ever seen is Commanding Heights the battle for the world economy. Its on youtube and pbs.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

It's amazing that no driver has been killed in over 17 years while racing. Really a testament to changing attitudes and unbelievable technological advances in the recent past. The same tech. has filtered down to road cars, and is saving countless lives today.

Not really, the drivers started to complain about dangerous tracks or corners and really bad tracks were either redesigned or were not raced at.

Also the runoffs with gravel are a recent invention and slow the cars down before they hit the tyre-wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

BBC's "Everything and Nothing".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Watched The Parking Lot the other day, very recommended. It's about a bunch of guys who work at a parking lot, gets fairly philosophical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Hoop Dreams is amazing.

I saw a documentary about a kid who along with his friend had a suicide pact and shot each other. One kid survived. His face was destroyed. His mother sued the metal band, that she believed had caused this. They were a dysfunctional family but she wanted to sue the metal band. The poor kids face was totally messed up by the bullet.

What was the band??

Hoop Dreams is amazing.

I saw a documentary about a kid who along with his friend had a suicide pact and shot each other. One kid survived. His face was destroyed. His mother sued the metal band, that she believed had caused this. They were a dysfunctional family but she wanted to sue the metal band. The poor kids face was totally messed up by the bullet.

What was the band??

Judas Priest. Documentary you're thinking of is Dream Deceivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

TG4 documentary from a series of documentaries about nomadic tribes. Dermot Sommers captures perfectly the character of these incredible people.

http://www.walkingstories.com/story_full_details.cfm/story_ID/229/menu_ID/2/title/Bezad's_Last_Journey_Iranian_migration

http://www.ctlfilms.com/productions-all/bezads-last-journey.html

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Whoever recommended Dear Zachary, two words for you. .

Thank You.

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Whoever recommended Dear Zachary, two words for you. .

Thank You.

Might have been myself, and no problem! It's a firm favourite, extremely well done documentary, brilliantly edited and very fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Might have been myself, and no problem! It's a firm favourite, extremely well done documentary, brilliantly edited and very fluid.

Good man. Best documentary I have ever seen. Watching it again tonight with the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Surreal short doc. The Aluminium Fowl, by James Clauer.

Advertisement