Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Three that stood out for me are:-
    Bowling for Columbine
    Exit through the gift shop
    Hooked: illegal drugs and how they got that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Hoop Dreams

following about 4 years in the lives of two southside Chicago kids as they pursue their NBA dreams.

Absolute classic, my non-sports loving wife was totally engrossed and still recommends (3 yrs later) to all and sundry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I'd love to see 'Hearts of Darkness' which was a documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now. It was shot by Francis Ford Coppola's wife. Laser used to have it but it seems to have disappeared now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you've been framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Spinal Tap

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anything that John Pilger creates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pilger

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Touching the void, Water the great mystery, Zeitgeist, The Obama deception, The Planets, Long Way Round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Wattle wrote: »
    I'd love to see 'Hearts of Darkness' which was a documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now. It was shot by Francis Ford Coppola's wife. Laser used to have it but it seems to have disappeared now.

Absolutely brilliant documentary. Arguably,the best documentary on the making of a film ever.A tragedy,comedy and disaster movie rolled into one and a must see for any fans of Apocalypse Now. I can't understand why it was never released as part of a special edition package of Apocalypse Now. It really increases your appreciation of the film itself.
    Another 'Making of ' documentary that is right up alongside Hearts of Darkness is Burden of Dreams. Directed by Les Blank, this film documents the making of and madness of Werner Hertzog's '82 film Fitzcarraldo. Superb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_Dreams

punk77 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant documentary. Arguably,the best documentary on the making of a film ever.A tragedy,comedy and disaster movie rolled into one and a must see for any fans of Apocalypse Now. I can't understand why it was never released as part of a special edition package of Apocalypse Now. It really increases your appreciation of the film itself.
    Another 'Making of ' documentary that is right up alongside Hearts of Darkness is Burden of Dreams. Directed by Les Blank, this film documents the making of and madness of Werner Hertzog's '82 film Fitzcarraldo. Superb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_Dreams

On the same subject there's a documentary called 'My Best Fiend'. It's about Werner Herzog's relationship with Klaus Kinski who was an absolute raving lunatic. Fascinating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I dunno if this has been mentioned, but Sigur Ros did a documentary about a series of life gigs they did around iceland. It is a stunning film.
    'Heima' I strongly recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Senna. Amazing guy, amazing documentary.

BBC's Planet Earth, It was a visual masterpiece deserves to be watched on bluray and nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Boozed Up Irish Abroad is a fantastic documentary from TV3. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

When's Tallafornia on? should be good. That's what I like about TV3, finger on the pulse

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

March of The Penguins! No contest! Morgan Freeman narrating and it's about penguins!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

LostGirly wrote: »
    March of The Penguins! No contest! Morgan Freeman narrating and it's about penguins!!

I loved that. Not seen it in years. I particularly liked the belly slides :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭CapriSunFun

Anything by Louis Theroux, all his documentaries are amazing. Personal faves are Body Building, South Africa, Louis and the Nazis, and The Most Hated Family In America which is about the Westboro Baptist Church (the "God Hates Fags" folk). I applaud him for not punching each and every one of them in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Can anyone recommend a documentary like American Movie or King of Kong ? something that can go from hilarious to sad in a second

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Saw this a few years ago, incredibly sad documentary about about one person's ability to bring others along on his journey of destruction & the harshness of the American judicial & penitential system which brutalises inmates & can turn petty criminals into monsters. The woman in the film was finally released a few years after it was made. Troy Kell, the main focus of the story, remains on death row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Restrepo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Wattle wrote: »

Been looking for this for years. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Anyone ever see Peter Taylor's docementarys on the troubles in the north? He had a program on each of the sides in the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Bravos deadly mission, cant stop eating, Tourette de france

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Also Requiem for Detroit, a fascinating account of the rise and fall of Motor City in the twentieth century.

http://documentaryheaven.com/requiem-for-detroit/

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. Really excellent docu, definitely would recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Gonna add two more (recently watched and fascinated by them).

Loose Change: An American Coup.

and

Zeitgeist

<puts on tin foil hat>

Sisko wrote: »
    Been looking for this for years. :(

It's on Amazon for a tenner or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Another mention for ATOM by Jim Al-Khalili. Watched all 3 parts again recently.

Brilliant stuff. "If you suck all the empty* space out of all the atoms in your body, you'd be no bigger than a grain of fine salt...but you'd still weigh the same"

* Quantum foam, the stuff that emptiness is made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Caught the end of this the other night, have roughly half of them downloading
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/archives/50_documentaries_to_see_before_you_die_final_top_10_how_many_have_you_seen/

Will probably watch 'Hoop Dreams', 'Tarnation' and 'Exit Through the Gift Shop' next.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Planet Earth is pretty amazing, especially in HD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(TV_series)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Planet Earth, Extreme Engineering, etc.

So many good documentaries. If we were discussing one-off documentaries I'd have to think about it some more.

Advertisement