Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

not the best but one of the weirdest

http://vimeo.com/19783963

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

exit through the giftshop was f##king brilliant
    biggie and tupac was also unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Vicxas wrote: »
    Planet Earth is pretty amazing, especially in HD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(TV_series)

Mind blowing is the only words I would use to describe Planet Earth. Also the documentary Earth is really worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

This is a great site for documentaries. The odd link is no longer available but loads are.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/tags/documentaries

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sarkosy

Very topical at the moment "The Money Masters" it tells the story of who really calls the shots about international finance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Crack House.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/crack-house/4od (Expires end of Nov)
    In 2001, Darrell 'Duck' Davis recruited a group of young men from the South Side of Chicago to help him take over the drug trade in Rockford, Illinois. For four years they sold a kilo of hard drugs each week, terrorised neighbourhoods and intimidated witnesses

The Rockford Police Department made a string of arrests but were unable to curtail the violence. And, in 2005, when gang member Bradford Dodson attempted to execute a rival drug dealer in a busy McDonald's, the Police Department called in the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) who set the gang up in a 'surveillance house' and gathered over 1000 hours of footage as evidence

This film uses the footage to provide a fascinating insight into what happens in a drug house, revealing the wide range of people who came to the house to buy drugs, and the truth behind the gang members' extravagant boasts of violence and wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Whale Wars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Really liked Dangerous Knowledge, can be found on google videos, BBC 3 doc.
    Just so interesting that all the geniuses of our time went mad or where killed/ commited suicide all trying to figure out what infinity is.
    You have to watch it to get it.

Coconut Revolution is another interesting story of Bougenville's struggle for independance, how they value and use their enviorment to fight of the corporate world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

barone wrote: »
    not the best but one of the weirdest

http://vimeo.com/19783963

:eek:
    Any you think youve seen it all!

Reminds me of the one a few years ago about the people who wanted to marry (and all that goes with it) their various pets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

'World War Two: Behind Closed Doors'

&

'Wonders of the universe' by Brian Cox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Check Point.

This is about Israeli Soldiers at boarder crossings and also about Palestinians trying to cross them

http://documentaryheaven.com/check-point/

If anyone has some more documentaries about Israel that they can recommend me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't know there have been very good documentaries can't just pick one but there was one great documentary I saw or heard today in a shop cafe. A man that sounded like a woman having a full blown conversation on the phone could hear him from the other corner of the cafe. So funny. Sounded like he was either acting or practising for a play or something. What ever he was saying was so funny. I spat out my soup.

Anyway he was saying to who ever on the phone be home at 3.30pm but had to repeat it twice very loudly everyone in the cafe could hear him. We all just giggled. Seemed like he could be speaking to someone that might not been able to hear him well on the phone. A bit embarrassing that everyone could hear him on the phone very loud and clear.

Best documentary I have seen in a long time! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Life After People - History Channel: A documentary which discusses the long term effects on Earth in the absence of us humans. It assumes that all human life disappears in an instant without any cause. It certainly paints a very dark and haunting picture of the planet in our absence. Additionally, it indirectly highlights the enormous impact we have had on Earth. It also shows how nature reclaims land previously occupied by some of the most iconic structures on the planet.

How It's Made - Discovery Channel: While it is boring most of the time, it certainly shows how everyday objects like plastic bottles and many other items are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Dr.Dre wrote: »
    Personally my favourite was 'Tyson'. Documentary showing the sides of the boxer that people never knew.

It made me respect him deeply. :)

Nice.Rapist and an animal who rips ears off with his teeth.

Respect.

He likes little ickle pigeons so he cant be that bad,eh?

Trust him with your kids?

Doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭G.muny

cesc77 wrote: »

Respect.

Doubtful.
    Take a chill pill, was it your ear he bit off? Just because you don't like him doesn't mean everyone else has to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'Senna' if you can call it a doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

I am chilled but fail to see how an animal like Tyson is admired

Im not saying that everyone has to agree with me

Hes a fcuking evil bastard.

End of story.

If you agree so much,tell your kids the story of his life as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Maedbhish

World's Toughest Prisons.

I think I've learned enough that I could totally survive prison. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I watched "Jesus Camp" the other day -- scared the **** out of me. It was like a cult, full of the indoctrination and what I would perceive to be serious emotional abuse to children. Fundys are scary, y'all.

Recorded it from Current TV. If you like documentaries, it's actually a cracking channel -- Sky 183. I've seen some fantastic documentaries on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Watched one called unforgivable blackness last night, the story of the first ever black world heavy weight champion, Jack Johnson. Absolutely brilliant, I sat through its four hours easily.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413615/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Millicent wrote: »
    I watched "Jesus Camp" the other day -- scared the **** out of me. It was like a cult, full of the indoctrination and what I would perceive to be serious emotional abuse to children. Fundys are scary, y'all.

Actually stumbled onto this one night when I couldn't sleep. My jaw was on the floor for the whole thing. Absolutely shocking stuff. I just felt so sorry for the kids. They are gonna have some serious issues when they grow up. I liked the way it was done - there was no influence either way by the documentary makers, it was just those people showing themselves for that they are, as far as I could see.

Apparently the place got torn up by vandals after the release of the documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Cosmos probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Nevore wrote: »
    Cosmos probably.

Have you read that Neil DeGrasse Tyson is going to be doing an updated version? I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Actually stumbled onto this one night when I couldn't sleep. My jaw was on the floor for the whole thing. Absolutely shocking stuff. I just felt so sorry for the kids. They are gonna have some serious issues when they grow up. I liked the way it was done - there was no influence either way by the documentary makers, it was just those people showing themselves for that they are, as far as I could see.

Apparently the place got torn up by vandals after the release of the documentary.

I can understand why. The little girl who felt the need to preach to preach to strangers seemed so lost, so hurt and so confused in the moments on her own that my heart went out to her. The other little girl who loved to dance but couldn't unless it was in the worship of the Lord was also so saddening.

It was horrific to watch. This scared me more than any horror I have ever seen. I liked the juxtaposition of the moderate Christian radio presenter for balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Check Point.

This is about Israeli Soldiers at boarder crossings and also about Palestinians trying to cross them

http://documentaryheaven.com/check-point/

If anyone has some more documentaries about Israel that they can recommend me?

"5 Broken Cameras", an award winning documentary about daily life and the oppresion suffered by a palestinian family in the occupied west bank. I used to live nearby in the 1990s for a while, so I know what these poeple are put through every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

cesc77 wrote: »

Respect.

Doubtful.
    if you watched the documentary you might have a different opinion, the mans no saint but hes not as bad as people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Millicent wrote: »
    I can understand why. The little girl who felt the need to preach to preach to strangers seemed so lost, so hurt and so confused in the moments on her own that my heart went out to her. The other little girl who loved to dance but couldn't unless it was in the worship of the Lord was also so saddening.

It was horrific to watch. This scared me more than any horror I have ever seen. I liked the juxtaposition of the moderate Christian radio presenter for balance.

The irony of the clips showing Ted Haggard preaching against homosexuality, just before he was done for having sex with a rent boy and doing crystal meth was too much. The man is an embodiment of hypocrisy, and it just shows how f*cked up some of those people are. They're absolute messes, and then they have the gall to get up and pontificate to the great unwashed about the "right way" to be living.

Kinda felt bad for the little kid who idolised Haggard though - the confusion of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Frozen Planet - David Attenborough - BBD HD

EP 7 was powerful.

http://youtu.be/1Fshnu_SwAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Kepti wrote: »
    Have you read that Neil DeGrasse Tyson is going to be doing an updated version? I'm looking forward to it.

Yep, and looking forward to it. :)

Advertisement