Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Was searching out some Adam Curtis documentaries I have not yet seen, and came upon one of the best documentaries I've seen in ages (think I've seen it mentioned around here recently too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVa95dSREmE

It's about Nick Leeson, the rogue trader who single-handedly brought down Barings Bank in the mid 90's (am sure many people know the story behind it), including interviews with the guy himself and the bank leaders.

Give it a watch even if doesn't sound that interesting to you; brilliant documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Was searching out some Adam Curtis documentaries I have not yet seen, and came upon one of the best documentaries I've seen in ages (think I've seen it mentioned around here recently too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVa95dSREmE

It's about Nick Leeson, the rogue trader who single-handedly brought down Barings Bank in the mid 90's (am sure many people know the story behind it), including interviews with the guy himself and the bank leaders.

Give it a watch even if doesn't sound that interesting to you, you don't need an interest in the wider topic to enjoy it; brilliant documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I highly recommend a new documentary by Carol Morely called 'Dreams Of A Life'. It's about an attractive young woman that had been dead in her flat for three years before she was discovered. Yes it's a grim subject but they reconstruct her life, talk to the people that knew and loved her and try to figure out how this woman could dissapear without anyone noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭dragonkin

The Life and Crimes of Citizen Ming

Great doc, Ming Flanaghans campaign to get Cannabis leagalised in 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

biko wrote: »

I LOVE that woman!! She is one of the sexiest girls alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/power-principle/
    A gripping, deeply informative account of the plunder, hypocrisy, and mass violence of plutocracy and empire; insightful, historically grounded and highly relevant to the events of today.
    This documentary is about the foreign policy of the United States. It demonstrates the importance of the political economy, the Mafia principle, propaganda, ideology, violence and force.
    It documents and explains how the policy is based on the interest of major corporations and a tiny elite to increase profits and the United States governments own interests in maintaining and expanding it’s imperialistic influence.
    Inside the United States this has been made possible with a propaganda of fear for the horrible enemies like the Soviet Union, Communists and so on and a love for “free markets”, “democracy”, “freedom” and so on.
    Externally (and increasingly internally) this has caused massive poverty and suffering, genocide, war, coups, crushed unions and popular movements and environmental destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Found 'Death of Yugoslavia' by the BBC a brilliant and harrowing watch, seeing modern european cities being ripped apart was almost surreal.

Has not been repeated since though and cant find DVD set anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Not sure if anyone has put this one up, it's about a cure for cancer which has been available from the late seventies. Over the last 10 years the pharmaceutical industry through the American government have been trying to discredit the inventor steal all patents and close his clinic in Texas. As a result the powers at be have been hindering its progress meaning we could have 100% sucess rate by now!!!!!! Grrrrr. Their is a lot of money in radio active treatments !

Shocking stuff a must watch if any one in your family suffers from or passed away with cancer, which in Ireland is quite a few...............

Ps. when you watch it even though its free on you tube, i'll have no doubt you'll buy the DVD and support it, please do I did.

Note: As the doc stops telling the story at 2009 check out the doctors web page their is a 20 minute up date which takes the story to April 2012.

Watch and support saving lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Just watched "surviving progress " on bbc4....
    "Film about the risks we pose to our own survival in the name of progress, connecting financial collapse, growing inequality and global oligarchy with the sustainability of mankind."
    Excellent;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Not sure if anyone has put this one up, it's about a cure for cancer which has been available from the late seventies. Over the last 10 years the pharmaceutical industry through the American government have been trying to discredit the inventor steal all patents and close his clinic in Texas. As a result the powers at be have been hindering its progress meaning we could have 100% sucess rate by now!!!!!! Grrrrr. Their is a lot of money in radio active treatments !

Sorry, but I can't let this go.

Firstly, pharmaceutical patents only last 20 years, 25 at a push, so anything from the 70s is off patent and anybody can make it. There are no patents to steal.

Secondly, for a drug to come on the market, clinical trials are required to ensure efficacy and safety. The clinical trials are paid by the innovator company, and are therefore free to the patient. This guy, Burzynski, charges for the trials, $40,000+.

Thirdly, the fact that these are trials mean that the drug is unproven. In any group of patients, some people will recover naturally (a small number). It is easy to cherry pick these patients and make a nice film.

Fourth, this guy uses libel laws to silence anyone who questions his practice. Real scientists are more than happy for people to question their work as they want to find the truth.

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people working in scientific research. These people are not all involved in a conspiracy to hide effective medicines.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Mucco wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't let this go.

Firstly, pharmaceutical patents only last 20 years, 25 at a push, so anything from the 70s is off patent and anybody can make it. There are no patents to steal.

Secondly, for a drug to come on the market, clinical trials are required to ensure efficacy and safety. The clinical trials are paid by the innovator company, and are therefore free to the patient. This guy, Burzynski, charges for the trials, $40,000+.

Thirdly, the fact that these are trials mean that the drug is unproven. In any group of patients, some people will recover naturally (a small number). It is easy to cherry pick these patients and make a nice film.

Fourth, this guy uses libel laws to silence anyone who questions his practice. Real scientists are more than happy for people to question their work as they want to find the truth.

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of people working in scientific research. These people are not all involved in a conspiracy to hide effective medicines.

Yes their is a certain amount of cherry picking involved for sure. The reason I posted this, is that a lot of info and antics portrayed were relayed to me about this and other trials, that's not coming from me. Now i'm no expert in this area nor do I pretend to know. I had a meeting with a good friend some time ago who is at the highest level in her field of clinical research, she is contracted to western world governments (Don't ask me which ones, info was in confidence) on research for clinical trials and I mentioned this topic to her. She did inform me of the many gross irregularities from both governments and medical academics with regard to bringing new drugs and hybrids to market and the constraints of who they can sell them to, in fact it really blew me away to be honest some of the antics they get up to. Anyway I don't want to get involved in an argument, this forum is for favourite docs but the FDA have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm sure a lot of people that posted here have already realised this but it appears Current TV has gone :( Anyone know why? We were watchingi t one night and then it had "current TV 19?? - 2012" cant remeber the first year.

Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Yell0 Man

Just watched the Interrupters by Steve James who directed Hoop Dreams, absolutely loved it.

The Interrupters tells the moving and surprising stories of three Violence Interrupters who try to protect their Chicago communities from the violence they once employed. From acclaimed director Steve James and bestselling author Alex Kotlowitz, this film is an unusually intimate journey into the stubborn, persistence of violence in our cities. Shot over the course of a year out of Kartemquin Films, The Interrupters captures a period in Chicago when it became a national symbol for the violence in our cities. During that period, the city was besieged by high-profile incidents, most notably the brutal beating of Derrion Albert, a Chicago High School student, whose death was caught on videotape. The film's main subjects work for an innovative organization, CeaseFire, which believes that the spread of violence mimics the spread of infectious diseases, and so the treatment should be similar: go after the most infected...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Don't know if this got a mention, it is the film by the Naudet Brothers of the 9/11 attacks. I've watched this a few times now and it showcases what went on at ground zero on that day. Footage from the first plane impact to the towers collapse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzQTETv6-w

Worth a watch even now to see what people went through inside the towers. One of the most interesting and shocking films from that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

massy086 wrote: »
    Talhotblond.2009.Documentary if you have not seen this yet watch it truly amazing story

This was on channel 4 last night. was just looking to put something on in background whislt i fell to sleep. Had to watch it to the end..Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

I watched a few ESPN documentaries recently. They have some very good ones. One that I liked best was below. very very good story and couldnt go for a piss cause I was afraid I would miss an important part of film. Story is about Chris Herrin who was an up and comming basketball player who got addicted to drugs and ruined his career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-xYmd4CiKA

Another very good one I watch was Dark Days. Story about homeless people in New York living under train station. Just goes through there day to day lives. Very Very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjjQJipwSxQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

del88 wrote: »
    Just watched "surviving progress " on bbc4....
    "Film about the risks we pose to our own survival in the name of progress, connecting financial collapse, growing inequality and global oligarchy with the sustainability of mankind."
    Excellent;)
    Had this recorded and just watched it last night. Fantastic documentary. Catch it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Just watched "Dear Zachary" very powerful doc/movie
    would recommend a watch
    very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The building of bell rock lighthouse 'riveting and Brooklyn Bridge in the same series .The Empire State Building in it's construction was awesome (same series)
    3 docs a must to see .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

watched a few really good documentaries recently:

Dragonslayer: really good about a stakeboarder living in the OC in california really good and brilliant cinematography

If A Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation...another good film about the lengths some radical environmentalists will go to save trees.

180 Degrees South...another beautifully shot film about an adventurer who sets out to follow in the steps of a fellow adventurer whos climb in 1968 inspires him to climb a volcano in patagonia chile. well worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Really good doc about the Jonestown massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

Just finished watching this, very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Yell0 Man wrote: »
    Just watched the Interrupters by Steve James who directed Hoop Dreams, absolutely loved it.

The Interrupters tells the moving and surprising stories of three Violence Interrupters who try to protect their Chicago communities from the violence they once employed. From acclaimed director Steve James and bestselling author Alex Kotlowitz, this film is an unusually intimate journey into the stubborn, persistence of violence in our cities. Shot over the course of a year out of Kartemquin Films, The Interrupters captures a period in Chicago when it became a national symbol for the violence in our cities. During that period, the city was besieged by high-profile incidents, most notably the brutal beating of Derrion Albert, a Chicago High School student, whose death was caught on videotape. The film's main subjects work for an innovative organization, CeaseFire, which believes that the spread of violence mimics the spread of infectious diseases, and so the treatment should be similar: go after the most infected...

Was just going to recommend that.

The Why we Fight series from World War 2 are excellent and The World at War is possible the greatest documentary series ever. (It must have been mentioned before).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I watched 'Dreams of a life' recently. It's the story of a woman whose body was found in her flat three years after she had died and non one had missed her.
    Fascinating.
    It's on netflix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSfXh8IJEg4

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    I watched 'Dreams of a life' recently. It's the story of a woman whose body was found in her flat three years after she had died and non one had missed her.
    Fascinating.
    It's on netflix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSfXh8IJEg4

Very interesting Doc that.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

The weirdest, saddest, most frightening and beautiful documentary I've ever seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Zachary:_A_Letter_to_a_Son_About_His_Father

For pointing me towards this, thank you.

Amazing story, shocking, very sad and the most amazing grandparents. It's on Youtube in full:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Snagfilms - 'tell me and i will forget'

Frontline emergency ambulance in south africa.....

Advertisement