Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

Anyone remember that vertical rock climbing documentary that aired on RTE 2 a couple weeks back? A group of rock climbers bring their own cameras and film the process of getting up a cliff face in really harsh conditions. They were sleeping in tents attached to the side of the mountain and climb up with lines attached to each other. I can't remember the name of the documentary for the life of me.

If anyone knows this particular documentary I'd appreciate a link or the IDMB profile. It's really good and I'd recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

child of rage

HBO documentary about a severely abused young girl. Warning: very upsetting,

Child of Rage is an early HBO documentary about an abused 6 year old who has become an abuser. Were it not for the chilling confessions of Beth Thomas, who so casually talks about the abuse she’s suffered and the abuse she now inflicts upon others.

her adoptive parents deserve immense respect for their efforts with her, she could so easily have come to a different fate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Madness In The Fastlane

A camera crew recording for Motorway Cops(or whatever the BBC police show is called) records swedish twins standing on the hard shoulder arguing with police, who proceed to throw themselves infront of traffic. Surprisingly both survived, this shows what happened and what followed.

Graphic footage shown obviously, but it's incredible to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Zio

I watch a lot of documentaries on a lot of different subjects. Lately its been on either Iraq war or Afghanistan.

'Retrespo'
    Interesting doc about a U.S army detachment stationed in a remote outpost in the Korengal Valley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjqR6OucBc

'Dispatches Iraq's secret war files'
    This doc is a result of the wiki leaks files regarding Iraq. Reveals some shocking covered up incidents in Iraq during the war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhmqOtulNYc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Zio wrote: »
    I watch a lot of documentaries on a lot of different subjects. Lately its been on either Iraq war or Afghanistan.

If you haven't already, check out "Hell and Back Again" and "Battle For Marjah", both really really good documentaries. I'm in college now so can't search for links to them, though a quick google will throw up some ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Zio

If you haven't already, check out "Hell and Back Again" and "Battle For Marjah", both really really good documentaries. I'm in college now so can't search for links to them, though a quick google will throw up some ;)

I've seen The Marjah doc before, I agree it's very good. I'll take a look at 'hell and back again' looks very interesting thanks for recommending them. I've been on the hunt for good docs lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Naraka

The best dcumentaries that I've seen in a while are probably the 'Paradise Lost' trilogy, concerning the arrest and incarceration of the West Memphis Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

whoever recommended Fog of War....thank you. amazing documentary :)
    Wattle wrote: »
    I'd love to see 'Hearts of Darkness' which was a documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now. It was shot by Francis Ford Coppola's wife. Laser used to have it but it seems to have disappeared now.

its not too hard to find

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

whoever recommended Fog of War....thank you. amazing documentary :)

Another good war doc is Hearts and Minds about Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Oliver Stones 10 part The Untold History of the United States is really good. The first two episodes are weak but the rest is pretty gripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The bachelor king penguin was good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does District 9 count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

guttenberg wrote: »

Madness In The Fastlane

A camera crew recording for Motorway Cops(or whatever the BBC police show is called) records swedish twins standing on the hard shoulder arguing with police, who proceed to throw themselves infront of traffic. Surprisingly both survived, this shows what happened and what followed.

Graphic footage shown obviously, but it's incredible to watch!

One of the sisters
    ended up in jail after she killed the bloke who took pity on her and gave her a room for the night.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

Loved Man on Wire....

Adored Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Currently laughing & cringing my socks off to The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heart of a Killer, about change in gangs in a South African prison.
    Risking her life in a effort to reform members of the notorious Number gangs, a woman goes into Pollsmoor Prison in South Africa to facilitate creative conflict resolution workshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

CasualLiKE wrote: »
    Anyone remember that vertical rock climbing documentary that aired on RTE 2 a couple weeks back? A group of rock climbers bring their own cameras and film the process of getting up a cliff face in really harsh conditions. They were sleeping in tents attached to the side of the mountain and climb up with lines attached to each other. I can't remember the name of the documentary for the life of me.

If anyone knows this particular documentary I'd appreciate a link or the IDMB profile. It's really good and I'd recommend it!

Was it 'The Eiger: Wall of Death'?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tlwj3

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

Green - www.greenthefilm.com

A touching film revealing the terrible plight of a young Orangutan as a result of deforestation for the purpose of palm oil plantation and logging. "Winner of Best Documentary Short in the Durango Independent Film Festival".

Well worth a watch.

Saw it on TG4; last year I think. Great channel for documentaries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I've just finished watching the last two series of "Unreported World" on 4OD. They are short, about 25 minutes long, and to the point.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/unreported-world/4od

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Last night I watched a new documentary called 'The Imposter'. I don't want to give away too much, but it is the story of how a guy managed to pretend to be a missing boy returned home to his family after three years missing.

Like most of the best documentaries it builds the story up from the ground and explains exactly how he did it and how he fooled everyone. It's one of those truth is stranger than fiction stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67cMet52mL4[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendation. Really enjoyed this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ben: Diary of a heroin addict. Watched this last night...harrowing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

supersize me with morgan spurlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

supersize me with morgan spurlock

You need to watch more documentaries bud :P

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

:-) i know i need to see more, but kids and wife, somehow always gets the TV before me LOL.
    the reason i like that one is, that is shows just how bad (and how quick) this kind of food is. this combined with how little anyone seems to care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Did not like that Jiro dreams of sushi one.

The one about the dolls was good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It probably hasn't been mentioned yet but I think "The Death Of Yugoslavia" was really excellent and unforgettable.

It's five hour-long segments and it goes from the very beginning of the initial political differences to the all out war/genocide that eventually developed. They interview all the major players like Slobodan Milošević, Ratko Mladić and Radovan Karadžić the whole way through.

If you'd like to fill yourself in a little better on this conflict or you're just looking for a good series of history docs, this one is unmissable. The whole thing is available to watch on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The award-winning documentary film about Syria, Not Anymore: A Story of Revolution, directed by Matthew VanDyke

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Here are some of the best documentaries that I've come across:
    March of the Penguins: penguins and Morgan Freeman's voice ... 'Nuff Said!
    Bowling For Columbine: one of Micheal Moore's best. Very well put together.
    Man on Wire: incredibly riveting.
    Project Nim: at times hilarious, at times heartbreaking. Documentary following one chimpanzee and what was done to him in the name of science.
    The Bridge: very poignant considering how prevalent suicide is in this country, although some might find this distressing.
    Inside Job: the meltdown in a nutshell.

Also, anything by Louis Theroux and every Horizon show older than about five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Dear Zachary

I'm sure it must have been mentioned in previous posts, but i watched "Dear Zachary" yesterday. Its one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. I cant stop thinking about it. its on netflix

Dear Zachary

Ok i just scanned through some previous posts and its been mentioned several times, so my apologies

Advertisement