Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I am here 8 odd years & I only found this forum, :-( .. It's great thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

https://youtu.be/lwv7Utcf-gM

Brilliant, unflinching documentary on alcoholism by Kent film maker Paul Watson.

Filmed in 2006 the film follows the lives of 4 people battling addiction in the Medway towns.

Gritty, very real and heart-breaking, it is an upfront, unapologetic glimpse into the world of addiction and alcoholism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

I think ive nearly every documentary watched at this stage but two new ones i watched this week and both were very good.

"The Killing Season" 8 part documentary about serial killers in the states that have not been caught.

"Dreamkiller" chap in america wrongly locked up for life for a murder based on a dream.

Both well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

HenryHill wrote: »
    I think ive nearly every documentary watched at this stage but two new ones i watched this week and both were very good.

"The Killing Season" 8 part documentary about serial killers in the states that have not been caught.

"Dreamkiller" chap in america wrongly locked up for life for a murder based on a dream.

Both well worth a look.

They sound interesting .......... love the UserName by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Can anyone remember a documentary that was shown on RTE 2 around 2010 or 2011 about a journalist visiting North Korea, not the Vice one now which is also very good. I think this was an Irish journalist, I think it might predate the Matt Cooper documentary also.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Where do most people watch the documentaries mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

mel123 wrote: »

For me it's NetFlix, YouTube, Android Box and some streaming sites, like the one that rhymes with "FootLocker".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

mel123 wrote: »

I find plenty of good ones online via:

topdocumentaryfilms.com

documentaryheaven.com

They have all the details, ratings, synopsis etc and then the doc itself is usually embedded via youtube, dailymotion etc

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Tyke is a really good one.

Going by all on here I have alot to catch up on. Super thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

its a bit contrived at times but The Killing Field on discovery is excellent, i am loving it

Much like the first 48, which for me will always be the greatest reality show ever. Getting to see real criminal cases unfold and genuine murderers interviewed and cracking under the pressure etc.. sensational tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

Larsso30 wrote: »
    its a bit contrived at times but The Killing Field on discovery is excellent, i am loving it

Much like the first 48, which for me will always be the greatest reality show ever. Getting to see real criminal cases unfold and genuine murderers interviewed and cracking under the pressure etc.. sensational tv
    Big fan of true crime, myself.. If you like The first 48, you'll love 48 hours:
    Tons of episodes here:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/latest/48-hours/full-episodes/

Tons of episodes here:

love it.

they have an app for american market that allows you watch them that was class. shame we dont have it here

Tons of episodes here:

Deadly, thanks for the tip. I'm about half way through season 14 of the 16 of The First 48. It's amazing, will be sad when I catch up but I could probably go back and rewatch them. Sometimes I rewatch one by accident and I wouldn't cop it right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Probably mentioned here before but I am hooked watching hunting Hitler ...yes probably very sensationalised but still even if half of what they uncovered is anyway true it's amazing the length the Germans went to hide after WW2..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

tinpib wrote: »
    Tons of episodes here:

Deadly, thanks for the tip.  I'm about half way through season 14 of the 16 of The First 48.  It's amazing, will be sad when I catch up but I could probably go back and rewatch them.  Sometimes I rewatch one by accident and I wouldn't cop it right away.
    Might also be of interest to you (and Larsso).

Dateline: http://www.nbc.com/dateline/video/the-accused/3462108

I'd start with this show first (The episode furthest back in time) as they get deleted, where as all the episodes on CBS 48 hours seem to be constantly available.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Senna
    Tyson
    I hate Christian Laetner
    Those bastards of baseball
    Planet earth (series)
    Making a murderer

Might also be of interest to you (and Larsso).

Dateline: http://www.nbc.com/dateline/video/the-accused/3462108

I'd start with this show first (The episode furthest back in time) as they get deleted, where as all the episodes on CBS 48 hours seem to be constantly available.

Thanks. I really can't recommend The First 48 highly enough.

My attention span is shot to bits, I pretty much don't watch drama/series any more, no patience for it. I will end up pausing it going onto imdb, then I'm on wiki and then I just stop watching.

But I keep returning to The First 48 because as soon as I switch it on I am totally engrossed. No matter what is going on in my life, what happened that day, it's the best thing I've found for completely switching off my brain.

I also love the first 48 but I can rarely find new episodes to watch can anyone tell what days they air new episodes..I get so disappointed when I settle to watch a new episode to discover it's a repeat...I do end up watching it again mind...a lot of the time they even advertised it as a brand new episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

harr wrote: »
    I also love the first 48 but I can rarely find new episodes to watch can anyone tell what days they air new episodes..I get so disappointed when I settle to watch a new episode to discover it's a repeat...I do end up watching it again mind...a lot of the time they even advertised it as a brand new episode.

Never heard of the first 48, just looked online now and there are 16 seasons :eek::eek::eek:

Am i better off jsut starting with the first season and working my way through it in chronological order or does it matter which way you watch them?

BTW, Channel 4 had a decent documentary series called 48 hours in police custody where it followed a single case closely, was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

allybhoy wrote: »
    Never heard of the first 48, just looked online now and there are 16 seasons :eek::eek::eek:

Am i better off jsut starting with the first season and working my way through it in chronological order or does it matter which way you watch them?

BTW, Channel 4 had a decent documentary series called 48 hours in police custody where it followed a single case closely, was very good.

Only thinking the same last night, 16 seasons immediately put me off starting!

• Advertisement

Only thinking the same last night, 16 seasons immediately put me off starting!
    Doesn't matter where you start as each episode is a different case...so it's ideal to watch no matter what season is showing on tv...I think I watched season 4 first and then worked backwards when I could ..

harr wrote: »
    Doesn't matter where you start as each episode is a different case...so it's ideal to watch no matter what season is showing on tv...I think I watched season 4 first and then worked backwards when I could ..

Yep same as that. Back in the old days I got whatever torrents I could. So I think I went 6, 9,8,4, then 1 etc.

I think season 1 is the weakest btw. They were trying to make characters of the detectives by showing them at home. I think they tweaked it a bit when they realised that the star of the show is the investigation itself. There is no need to know more about the detectives.

Also, thanks be to Jaysus there are 16 seasons :D

edit: I have a word document tracking what episodes I've seen.

tinpib wrote: »
    Yep same as that. Back in the old days I got whatever torrents I could. So I think I went 6, 9,8,4, then 1 etc.

I think season 1 is the weakest btw. They were trying to make characters of the detectives by showing them at home. I think they tweaked it a bit when they realised that the star of the show is the investigation itself. There is no need to know more about the detectives.

Also, thanks be to Jaysus there are 16 seasons :D

edit: I have a word document tracking what episodes I've seen.

Lester Street probablt most powerful episode of anything I've ever seen on TV. So real and raw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Can anyone remember a documentary that was shown on RTE 2 around 2010 or 2011 about a journalist visiting North Korea, not the Vice one now which is also very good. I think this was an Irish journalist, I think it might predate the Matt Cooper documentary also.

bodhrandude so weird, I came on here looking for the exact same thing. I just watched "The Interview" tonight, loved it, followed by The day of the rising star (or something like that) as Mr M hadn't seen any doc like that, and I couldn't remember which was this very good one I saw before. The latter was good too, but I liked the voice over/more personal side on the one below :

It was a young man travelling to North Korea. He was filming the hotel, the 3D map at reception did not represent America I think. He was showing his room, the equipment, showing the art on the wall, etc... He also explained that tourists could not walk more than so many yards away from the front of the hotel, that kind of stuff.

Any ideas anyone ?
    Have you found it bodhrandude and does it sound the same as my one ?

I sometimes watch stuff in French so mine could be in French, I can't remember, and I can't even remember where I watched it : laptop, or TV. It could be Youtube, but I think it wasn't really like an amateur video, it was more professional albeit somewhat cramped by the conditions.

It's killing me. I'd love to rewatch it.

I'm watching Un-branded on Netflix at the moment. It's film length but I think it would have been good as a serial, which it might have been outside of Netflix, not sure. It's about a gang of young guys from Texas and elsewhere, who have set themselves the challenge of bringing wild mustangs from Mexico across to Canada.
    It highlights the controversy over wild horses in America, how reports recommend to manage and reduce population of wild mustangs in these areas (in the doc), but some animal protection groups are fighting it. It's heavily biased towards control and management of course.
    But it's not just that, it's a lot of "slow-ish" but scenic action, as we follow the boys on dangerous trails, as in the Grand Canyon, and we get to know them a bit.

I am watching it in segments, not finished, but if you like scenery and horses, you would like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

To continue the North Korean theme, The Red Chapel is well worth a watch, if you can find it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aQRC_4LheY
    Three guys basically troll the North Korean government and particularly their attitude to disability.
    It's very funny but terrifying and sad at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I downloaded Walking the Nile with Levisson Wood. It's fascinating. A pretty hardcore route through war torn countries and unrelenting landscape.

Wasn't expecting the tragedy at the end of the first episode. Was quite gobsmacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, I just watched The White Helmets, about the Syrian civil defence group. A bit short I thought, but some harrowing footage and a good insight into what has gone on in Aleppo.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet, I just watched The White Helmets, about the Syrian civil defence group. A bit short I thought, but some harrowing footage and a good insight into what has gone on in Aleppo.
    Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Finished watching Shadow of Truth on Netflix this evening. Very good documentary.

If you enjoyed Making A Murderer, this is it's Israeli cousin. Only 4 episodes to it.

It's in Hebrew with English subtitles but don't let that put you off. Each episode is different to the rest, mind boggling stuff. So many questions unanswered !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭glencurtis252

Dunno if it's been mentioned but the seven five is brilliant.. about a corrupt cop in manhattan

Advertisement