Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I believe in Miracles - Doc about Brian Clough and the European Cup Winning Notts Forest team. Brilliant doc about a brilliant story full of great archive footage and great music but the highlight is stories and anecdotes from the old players interviewed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5098836/reference

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

I watched We are Legion on Netflix a while back, I thought it was interesting to see how some hacking groups operate and how some people have been punished for participation in cyber attacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw a Football Life : Kurt Warner this weekend. From rags to riches to rags to riches story.
    Never knew his back story. With a bit of luck he could have been considered the greatest of al time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

bm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I recently watched a documentry on Netflix entitled The Divide.

Absolutely brilliant it was.
    The Divide tells the story of 7 individuals striving for a better life in the modern day US and UK - where the top 0.1% owns as much wealth as the bottom 90%. By plotting these tales together, we uncover how virtually every aspect of our lives is controlled by one factor: the size of the gap between rich and poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

In stark comparison to Hollister11's suggestion above, I watched the Queen of Versailles last night about Jackie & David Siegl during 2009 building the most expensive house in the States at $100 million based on the Versailles. Absolute masterpiece of a house.

At the time, it was the financial crisis so David's timeshare business was coming under financial strain and how they ultimately dealt with that, the building of the house pausing. Pretty fascinating look into the filthy rich society, 8 kids and their relationships. Worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The Big Bird doc is really very good. Very touching in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Oh and this is excellent. All about the video game record holders from the eighties and the cons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm currently watching Ken Burns: The Vietnam War on PBS America it starts on BBC 4 here on September 25th.

I have just seen the first and it's really strong with an amazing soundtrack of the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Oh and this is excellent. All about the video game record holders from the eighties and the cons etc.

This is brilliant one of my all time favourites.

So crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm currently watching Ken Burns: The Vietnam War on PBS America it starts on BBC 4 here on September 25th.

I have just seen the first and it's really strong with an amazing soundtrack of the era.

Just finished watching all of these. Very good stuff. 30 years of history, including video footage of the events behind some of the most iconic photos of the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

If you are looking for ideas for docs I check in on the documentary subreddit every few days, it's a great resource.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have just seen the first and it's really strong with an amazing soundtrack of the era
    It's a very long time since I've seen Vietnam the 10,000 day war, but I can't say yet that the new series is any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

tinpib wrote: »
    If you are looking for ideas for docs I check in on the documentary subreddit every few days, it's a great resource.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/

Thanks for that, lots of good documentaries there.
    I started watching episodes of Indonesian Primitive Tribes from that Reddit last night, very interesting : 2 English guys want to learn the ways of the jungle, find a tribe that will "adopt" them and teach them how to hunt and gather. The documentary focuses a lot on the tribe's/family's dynamics and characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Just watched "Road To 911" 3 parts.

So many fook up's by the C.I.A. and missed chances to take out some of the major players.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Thanks for that, lots of good documentaries there.
    I started watching episodes of Indonesian Primitive Tribes from that Reddit last night, very interesting : 2 English guys want to learn the ways of the jungle, find a tribe that will "adopt" them and teach them how to hunt and gather. The documentary focuses a lot on the tribe's/family's dynamics and characters.

Have you a link to the documentary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

"In Japanese pop culture "idol" (アイドル aidoru, a Japanese rendering of the English word "idol") is a term typically used to refer to young manufactured stars/starlets marketed to be admired for their cuteness. Idols are intended to be role models. They are supposed to maintain a good public image and be good examples for young people. Idols aim to play a wide range of roles as media personalities (tarento): e.g. pop singers, panelists of variety programs, bit-part actors, models for magazines and advertisements."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSJoZTI1MQg&feature=youtu.be

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Watched 9 episodes 2 weeks ago on saturday. Couldnt stay awake for the full 10 so continued the next morning.
    Great documentaire and not as 1-sided as these things usually go (We ****ed up your country but we suffer so much from it)
    And if you think politicians nowadays are corrupt, lying bastards..... And i am not just talking Nixon.

And indeed a fantastic sound track

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What We Do in the Shadows.
    The day to day problems of some flatmates in New Zealand.
    It's like a cross between Man Bites Dog and Being Human.

There is a catch up in the offing called We're Wolves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't claim its the best docu I've seen, but its one everyone should try to watch.

Holocaust : Night Will Fall

Researchers discover film footage from World War II that turns out to be a lost documentary shot by Alfred Hitchcock and Sidney Bernstein in 1945 about German concentration camps

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/holocaust-night-will-fall

Its a very hard, difficult watch, but a compelling one. Sad to see what humans can do to others.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^

My girlfriend watched that one sunday.
    Didnt sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Valley uprising

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

print the legend. 3D printing

bonkers some of the stuff that goes on in small startups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Not the best documentary I've seen but watched one years ago about Bruce Reimer that always stuck with me because it was such a tragic story. It was called The Boy Who Turned Into A Girl.

He was a twin and when they were being circumcised, it went wrong. His family decided with medical advice to raise him as a girl as there was a theory at the time that nurture was the determining factor for a persons gender. He was raised as a girl but changed back as soon as he was told the truth. Unfortunately his twin brother committed suicide and he did himself a short time after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Supersize Me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you haven't seen LA92, about the LA riots, its definitely worth a watch.

Its a National Geographic production, fascinating to watch, some very hard to watch scenes, savage violence but it will stick in your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Probably Inside Job. Talk about a rogues gallery over the course of the film as a bunch of Wall St heads get interviewed about the 08 market crash along with journalists, academics etc. It's nicely done going over the deregulation, derivatives, moral hazard etc in layman terms, not too technical.

It feels almost like watching a thriller sometimes. Matt Damon does a grand job on narration.

Cunk on Britain.

"dinosaurs were “a race of Godzilla monsters so scary human beings didn't dare exist until they'd… "

“Dinosaurs came in many flavours, just like kettle chips”

Every so often I can hear Charlie Brooker through her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Evil genius" currently on Netflix about a man robbing a bank with a bomb cuffed to his neck. 4 part documentary. Interesting

Advertisement