Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

King of Kong - Fistful of Quarters

Darkon - HILLARIOUS (Anyone who enjoyed LAIR in Role Models)

Best documentary ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

King of Kong is surely the best documentary ever created??? If Billy Mitchell is present awesome things will happen. But seriously that documentary was so retarded and excellent at the same time. Some of the people in it were so hilarious. The Billy Mitchell fan boy in particular was epic, especially how hated Steve Wiebe just because he was Billy's rival hahhahaha.

Also mentioned in this thread which I liked were High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell. It's the documentary with Dicky Eklund the boxer in it (from The Fighter).

Bigger, Faster, Stronger is pretty good too. If you liked that watch Pumping Iron as well. Not based solely on steroids and the likes but it is entertaining none the less.

I liked Man on Wire but when I saw him walking on the wire I wanted to bash my head off the wall and **** my pants because it was ridiculous.

I'm surprised Tyson hasn't been mentioned yet. That was REALLY good. Definitely one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Seen a very good documentary on Jim Corrs website - the money masters free on google - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-515319560256183936#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

OP, I've seen both Capturing The Friedmans and Dear Zachary. Both are very good, and very sad.

Two more I think you should definitely watch - Restrepo (which has already been recommended) and Hoop Dreams (again, already recommended).

Restrepo is an excellent documentary about a platoon of soldiers in Korengal Valley (Afghanistan). At times sad, and very informative and entertaining.

Hoop Dreams is the best documentary ever made, at least when it comes to sports. Spans the lives of two talented but troubled (in a multitude of ways) inner-city kids over the space of a few years, as they dream of making it as professionals. More than just a sports documentary, you don't need to have any interest in basketball to see how amazing it is. It's on for almost three hours, and it's difficult to find, but well worth the effort.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

sorry man this I love Metallica but this tripe nearly put me off them for life- a bunch of narcissistic self absorbed mental defectives: particulary (and surprisingly) Hetfield and to a lesser extent Ulrich.
    Ok we all know rock stars are divas etc but to see it in glorious techni-colour from your heroes was not pretty.

In one scene Hetfield pisses off to Russia bear-hunting or some **** and then starts moaning hes missing his kids birthday because of it...wtf?!

anyway rant over..if you want to see a good rock n roll documentary, watch the Story of Anvil.

That's the reason I thought it was great. Could they put their egos to one side and work as a team again. I didn't know much of their music when I saw it.

Also watched Anvil, unbelievable the amount of nonsense they went through to keep the dream alive when 97 percent of people would just have given up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RichieC wrote: »
    Atom series! http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/atom-tim/

truly brilliant, watched it 3 times.

It was a great documentary, great presenting style. I watched his Chemistry: A volatile history piece last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

The Union : The business behind getting high

Just one of my favourites.

+1 on this!

A great documentary that approaches the subject properly - unlike the almost daily AH marijuana thread!

Also, Marijuana: A Chronic History was a close runner up.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

dx22 wrote: »
    Fog of War - interesting doc about Robert Mc Namara giving a unique perpective of American actions during the Cold War and Vietnam

The Fog Of War gets my vote. McNamara was pretty open and honest about the things he had done and it made for fascinating viewing. While I didn't get as far as actual sympathy for him, I certainly had to rethink a thing or two about what I thought I knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Another brilliant one is The Ghost in our Genes by NOVA.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-ghost-in-our-genes/

and Monster in the Milky way by same:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/monster-of-the-milky-way/

also, Nice Guys Finish First by Richard Dawkins:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/nice-guys-finish-first/

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I'm going to be watching documentaries for the next month thanks to this thread.

One I haven't seen mentioned is Best Worst Movie, about the making of Troll 2. It follows the cast 20 years later as the film is regaining some popularity for being so, so ****. Some of the cast don't seem to be all there any more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

duplicate. please delete

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Paradise lost gets my vote, one of the most shocking docs that I have ever seen, same directors as some kind of monster

I Must check out restrepo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Yup. Paradise Lost part 1 and 2.Pretty shocking alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2 - The Metal Years

This is an amazing documentary on the hair rock bands of the 80's. It's fascinating, hilarious and tragic all at once, and serves as a reminder that the cooler you think you look now, the more ridiculous you'll look in a few years. It features lots of big names: Ozzy, Lemmy, Alice Cooper, Paul Stanley from Kiss (surrounded by 3 semi-clad women at all times).

It's also full of plenty of Spinal Tap moments. Just watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9KCS8d82EM

Sorry can't find a decent clip but the whole thing is up on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

The smartest guys in the room-doc about the Enron scandal, may not be the best but as someone who studied accounting it was relevant to me I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

'The Power of Art' was a beautiful series.

'The Union' about weed growing in Canada was up there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

The Corporation is pretty good as well.

Wikipedia:
    The documentary is critical of the modern-day corporation, considering its legal status as a class of person and evaluating its behaviour towards society and the world at large as a psychiatrist might evaluate an ordinary person.

Lots of interesting talking heads like Naomi Klein and Chomsky: Link

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

seeing as how someone has already posted The Revolution Will Not Be Televised then for now I'll have to go with

District 9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

"Anvil! The story of Anvil" is one of the best made documentaries I've ever seen.

I was nearly in tears at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

The Thin Blue Line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

FOOD INC

Beer wars

Deliver us from evil (disturbing subject but well made)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

BBC Storyville - Death on the Staircase

Gripping real life courtroom drama from the USA
    On 9 December 2001, novelist Michael Peterson dialled 911 to tell the police that his wife had fallen down the stairs, and was unconscious. When the ambulance arrived five minutes later she was dead, lying in a pool of blood.

This astonishing eight-part series documents the trial of Peterson in Durham, North Carolina. Granted access to the defence team, the filmmaker is able to show us in detail the meetings between Peterson and his lawyers. But we also discover the strategy of the prosecution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Auschwitz: The Nazis and The Final Solution. It was riveting but disturbing and very sad.

The Human Zoo. It was about a Congolese pygmy named Ota Benga who was brought to America to be shown in an exhibition. He was actually treated fairly well but then Madison Grant, who was known as Americas greatest racist and wrote Hitlers favourite book, got his hands on him and put him on display in a zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Blood on the Flat Track- Roller Derby
    Dr. Money and the Boy with No Penis- Cry every time
    Murderball- Wheelchair Rugby, they kick ass.
    Age Eight and Wanting a Sex Change- Inspiring
    My Fake Baby-
    Guys and Dolls-

Louis Theroux documentaries especially In The Brothal, America's Most Hated Family and a Place for Paedophiles.

There are loads more, but just sitting down to watch Married to the Eiffel Tower...it's going to be good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

anyone see the documentary about john brown? ****ing lunatic who did sex changes in hotel rooms and the likes. he ended up getting caught cos guy wanted his leg cut off to fulfill some mad sexual fantasy he had and died during the operation. absolute madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised was once-in-a-lifetime television. It was made by Donnacha Ó Bríain and Kim Bartley in 2002; they were waiting in the Presidential Palace to interview Hugo Chávez, President of Venezuela, when all of a sudden a coup happened in the Presidential Palace (the New York Times in its editorial a couple of days later praised this US-backed overthrow of the democratically-elected government of Venezuela).

Watching that documentary on RTÉ was extraordinary television.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

There was one i saw a few months ago on some website that was linked on here, it might have been by BBC. It was about 9/11,but it wasnt the falling man or farenheit 9/11. I can't for the life of me remember what the name was..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Overnight. A documentary about the NUTCASE who directed "The Boondock Saints". Which was a ****e movie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overnight
    I can't recommend this enough. It is hilarious.
    Once you hear this goon mouthing off you will be glued to it. It really has to be seen to be believed.

Skip to 1:45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The Boy Whose Skin fell off
    about Jonny Kennedy who had EB.....sad but inspirational.

Advertisement