Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

the greatest raid of all. A ww2 documentary on the commando raid at st nazzair by jeremy clarkson. A really good documentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

The Incredible Journey
    Private life of plants

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The trials of life
    planet earth
    the living planet ect
    Sasquatch legend meets science with george shcaller

Apart from the nature documentaries there was a few excellent bbc programs about the atom ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Team America World Police was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

World At War is still one of the best documentaries of WWII
    Blue Planet. Could pick any one of a number of Attenborough series but this is my fave.
    In The Shadow Of The Moon One of the best docs on the space race (there was a really good BBC docudrama about the Space Race a couple of years ago as well, but I forget the title).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 5 years ago I seen a documentary on more4 about Egyptian street kids in Cairo.Can't remember the name ,but can't get it out of my head.It was top notch!.

One Day in September(Winner of the 1999 Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.) and Holy Warriors Richard the LionHeart & Saladin(pbs). are two of my favourites.
    I also have the history Channels Rome & American civil War Documentary box sets,which are great viewing.I still have to watch their Vietnam Boxset ,so I can't comment on it yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

King of Kong.

Grizzly Man.

Anything from the BBC earth series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

jayteecork wrote: »
    King of Kong.

Grizzly Man.

Anything from the BBC earth series.

Grizzly man was great but to be honest I thought your man was a bit of a muppet!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Grizzly man was great but to be honest I thought your man was a bit of a muppet!

Well in fairness I think that's what Werner Herzog was pointing out.

One of the the most interesting comments was the pilot saying that he thought the bears left him alone for so long was because they thought he was retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Another vote for King of Kongs. Seriously entertaining documentary about obsession.

Dig! is also a hugely entertaining doc about the Brian Jonestown Massacre.

His & Hers is a very good Irish doc about women and the men in their life. Not in the same class as the other two but worth a watch.

Roman Polanski: Desired & Wanted - terrible title but really good examination of his trial in the states. Well worth a watch.

Also enjoyed a Channel 4 series called Escape From Colditz. Not a WWII buff but the inventiveness the prisoners display in their various attemtps, successful and not, to escape are ingenious.
    The Bridge
    The Bridge (2006) - Very interesting, but equally very sad documentary about suicide, and how the Golden Gate Bridge is a popular destination for people chosing to end it all. Controversial, but worth the watch if your in the mood for something deep.
    The Bridge is good but seriously depressing.

What I saw of it was good but I could only make it around half an hour in before switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man on wire
    Senna
    Battle of Chernoybl

Their the most reccent that I can remember that I found to be good.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Well in fairness I think that's what Werner Herzog was pointing out.

One of the the most interesting comments was the pilot saying that he thought the bears left him alone for so long was because they thought he was retarded.

True he also put grizzly conservation back years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Currently watching Living with Lions, fly on the wall documentary about the 1997 Rugby Union Great Britain and Ireland Lions trip to South Africa. I can't even say I like Rugby Union but it is brilliant. The team talks from various heads like Keith Wood, Jason Leonard Martin Johnson and especially Jim Telfer and Ian McGeechan, could make you run through brick walls for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I have to re-suggest the following that have already been recommended:

Big River Man
    The Bridge
    Dear Zachary
    Devil and Daniel Johnston
    King of Kong

All are must see documentaries. I've found myself a good few more to watch now, thanks everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Revolution OS is another good one.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/revolution-os/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Swansea Love Story
    VBS do some really good documentaries. The vice guide to N.Korea and Liberia are also well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Anthony Bourdain does a food program, but it has lots of politics and history as well, I love them.
    The one in Beirut when Israel decided to flatten the whole place was shocking ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

The cove is a load of tripe. It was just to make himself feel better about being involved in capturing dolphins for the entertainment industry in the past.

Id recommend:

Food Inc.
    Supersize me.

and the book fast food nation ( not the film. Its muck)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

More Than A game

It takes you through the rise of LeBron James and his 4 close friends to the top of college basketball.

Its got clips from loads of their games through high school and college.

Best sports documentary I've seen in a good while. Would recommend it to all sports fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

There was one i saw a few months ago on some website that was linked on here, it might have been by BBC. It was about 9/11,but it wasnt the falling man or farenheit 9/11. I can't for the life of me remember what the name was..

Found it, 102 minutes that changed America.Seriously chilling footage.
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/102-minutes-changed-america/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

1. Shoah (9 hours long )
    2. Hoop Dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I'm sure some of these have been mentioned but I'm not reading the whole thread:

Man on Wire
    King of Kong
    Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

There was some BBC documentary on human behaviour. I must go looking for that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Coconut Revolution

'The world's first succesful eco-revolution'

Inspirational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPF3cnIdy5s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Dangerous Knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

While we are on the topic, does anyone have a link to a good website that has good documentaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Caoimhín wrote: »
    While we are on the topic, does anyone have a link to a good website that has good documentaries?
    http://documentaryheaven.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Dogdaysareover

Mugabe and the White African.
    http://www.mugabeandthewhiteafrican.com/

This was part of the true stories series on more4 not too long ago, powerful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Advertisement