Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best documentary you've seen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Fearless: The Jeb Corliss story

On youtube, split into 5 parts

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Tesla and his work is just super interesting, enjoyed the haarp doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Catfish

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/
    The riveting true story of a photographer's online relationship with an eight-year-old child prodigy and her attractive elder half-sister. But are they what they claim to be?

worth a look even though the end is a bit unsatisfying, you dont really get to know why she does it and why this guy was even talking to a 8/9 year old on facebook in the first place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

not sure if anyone has mentioned Restrepo.

Yes, and if you read back, you'll see the reviews are mixed.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

No offence to anyone but there is some amount of ****e posted in After Hours, but every so often a thread is created that makes up for it. For a guy working in a country with no English TV channels this is a Godsend. I was going to do some work but it can wait now :)

By the way this from earlier says a lot about where we're at today in Ireland in my opinion
    babyface11
    Ugh you guys make me sick shes a real human being with feelings too how would you feel if you had to go through all she has, my prayers are with her and hope shes ok
    RichieC
    I watched one on Alan Turing... now THATS going through sh*t...and he accomplished something worthwhile.
    babyface11
    never heard of him but kerry katona is a celebrity and everone knos her!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Great thread, I love good documentaries more than anything. Don't really have much to add to this list of great documentaries but American Movie and Overnight are two I watched from reading in here. American Movie is a must watch. Absolutely hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

Dogtown and Z-Boys!

And when you've watched that, watch Lords of Dogtown! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Nhead wrote: »
    Big River Man- a documentary about a man called Martin Strel, a guy that swam the Amazon River. Totally mad

Just watched this tonight after your recommendation; it was brilliant. Really mental and disturbing but also engrossing and totally fascinating. Thanks! It's on youtube for anyone that wants to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

watched Catfish last night. just thought it was amazing. in a strange sort of way a real love story gone wrong. He wasnt really friends with this 8 year old girl in the way that an older man might befriend an 8 year old it was through her paintings that he got in contact with her. He was really besotted with her "sister". the best part of the docu was when he clicked that she had copied songs on to her facebook page and pretended it was her (her mum that is not Megan the daughter, confusing i know!) It was really sad especially when he visited the house and found what a hard life she really had. loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Catfish

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/

worth a look even though the end is a bit unsatisfying, you dont really get to know why she does it and why this guy was even talking to a 8/9 year old on facebook in the first place.

This was on last night, it was really interesting. I don't know who I felt worse for in the end, the guy that was fooled into thinking he was going out with a multi talented musician/model, the woman at the centre of it all who obviously was desperately lonely and unhappy with her life, or the husband who had no idea what was really going on. Crazy! Only in America!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Just wan to add to the chorus of praise for King of Kong and American Movie. Both amazing for showing how you can find such fascinating characters among "ordinary" folk.
    So many other greats, but Grizzly Man and In the Shadow of the Moon in particular are great.

A film I've only seen mentioned once is The Thin Blue Line, (1988, by Errol Morris, also did Fog of War), a great look at how easy one can be screwed by the justice system, and also how difficult it can be to get to the truth of the matter, even with lots of eyewitnesses. Also a great example of how difficult it is to get the whole truth from a documentary.

Going to watch Catfish tonight or tomorrow, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Wonders Of The Solar System - Brian Cox - BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

Bondi Vet, amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Cheers for the people who recommended Paradise Lost, I watched both last week and downloaded the book Devils Knot too. It's a truly fascinating subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Hearts of darkness; a filmmaker's apocalypse. Documentary on the making of Apocalypse Now.

Not sure if it's the best I've seen, but definately very interesting and thought provoking

Nuclear Eternity
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/nuclear-eternity

I've always been al for nucler power even though I don't know much about it in reality, but I would've never thought of the implications and problems in safely storing something which will remain a hazard to life for more than 100,000 years. The problem of communicating it and it's dangers to whatever type of civilisation will exist that far in the future without possibly being able to know what way language/communication will be like...interesting stuff and worth a watch, made in a rather strange format though, but that made it even more interesting really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Annuv wrote: »
    No offence to anyone but there is some amount of ****e posted in After Hours, but every so often a thread is created that makes up for it. For a guy working in a country with no English TV channels this is a Godsend. I was going to do some work but it can wait now :)

By the way this from earlier says a lot about where we're at today in Ireland in my opinion
    Kerry Katona vs Alan Turing? babyface11 needs a talking to. Sad and absurd at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

The Cuban Missile Crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Two of my favourites

exit through the gift shop, great documentary film about graffiti artists.

march of the mallards.

did you know the mallard is the only animal that reproduces solely through the means of gang rape. it's a dance as old as time.

excellent excellent tread by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

bluefinger wrote: »

exit through the gift shop, great documentary film about graffiti artists.

or is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

I watched Dear Zachary recently, found it very hard to get inot for the first 20 mins or so but oh my god did it pull every heart string after, and talk about getting mad, I think I was frustrated going into the next day and b****ed to any1 that would listen, would highly recommend it ti any1.

Also Watched Ross Kemp extreme world... Congo over the weekend and altho I dont like him or ever thinks he deserves any credit for what he does, I do think that in the hour that he has given was extremely to the point, no tippy toeing and well it was horrifying to see what IS happening there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Charlie Bird in Antarctica

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Great thread. Have lots to watch now :)

Touching the Void is my all time fav. Didnt know the human spirit was this strong until I saw this.

The Air Crash investigations on Discovery are always great. The one about the Tenerife Disaster (worst aviation disaster in history) was great.

Saw a brilliant documentary a few months back about Lockerbie and the investigation afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 debz20

I know it's already been mentioned but definitely I'd recommend Paradise Lost, an amazing eye-opening and heart-breaking documentary. Such a sad story for what happened to the three little victims of course but also for the three who have been imprisoned and who are undoubtedly innocent. Would also recommend the books Devil's Knot and Almost Home

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Spellbound! don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not. I flicked on to it one night and immediately thought it would be pants (it's about the US national Spelling Bee) but it was quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The Coconut Wars. Channel 4 Doc about the embargos placed on the Solomon Islands when they resisted oil drilling there.

Fantastic insight

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nItzZrEkCI

"I know what i saw" a documentary on Alien sightings in USA

Very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I LOVED the documentary The Rape Of Europa, about Nazi Germany's plundering of European works of art during World War II

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0997088/

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Thought this was an amazing Documentary, strange but very compelling

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/marwencol/trailer

"When Mark Hogancamp emerged from his coma, following a vicious attack, he had little memory of his previous life. Seeking solace, Mark built 'Marwencol,' an incredible 1/6th scale World War II-era town in his backyard. He populated the town with dolls and toy soldiers representing his friends, family, even his attackers, and created life-like photographs detailing the town's many relationships and intrigues. Through Mark's lens, these were no longer dolls - they became living, breathing characters in an epic WWII story full of violence, jealousy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Saw Catfish last night, it's great, though I can see why many people think it's fake, lots of things happen a bit too conveniently, though that could be put down to good luck. Regardless, it's still a great film, real or not.

Advertisement