Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pls recommend a good power drill/screwdriver for novice

• 26-04-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭

As title says, looking to buy a good but not too expensive cordless drill/driver.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What do you call not too expensive? There is a wide variety depending on budget.

How much do you want to spend and what do you think you'll be using it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm thinking if I could get one for 50 or so I would be happy.

I am a complete tube when it comes to DIY, but it was only recently when I have been screwing in a load of screws and hanging the odd photo or two and had to borrow one that I decided that perhaps I might need one of my own.

So probably mainly as a screwdriver, but drill the odd hole in masonry too.

Maybe something like this, or would I need to buy a hammer one?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106907/c_1/1|category_root|Garden+and+DIY|14418702/c_2/2|14418702|Power+tools|14418763/c_3/3|cat_14418763|Cordless+drills+and+screwdrivers|14418778.htm#pdpProductReviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm thinking if I could get one for 50 or so I would be happy.

I am a complete tube when it comes to DIY, but it was only recently when I have been screwing in a load of screws and hanging the odd photo or two and had to borrow one that I decided that perhaps I might need one of my own.

So probably mainly as a screwdriver, but drill the odd hole in masonry too.

Maybe something like this
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106907/c_1/1|category_root|Garden+and+DIY|14418702/c_2/2|14418702|Power+tools|14418763/c_3/3|cat_14418763|Cordless+drills+and+screwdrivers|14418778.htm#pdpProductReviews

Like the one-balled bull, it will do the trick screwing wise but wont drill masonry as its not hammer action.
    At a max speed of 750 rpm it would't be good for 2000 4" screws on a deck. 1 battery will mean plenty time for beers while awaiting recharge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Ryobi with a NiCad battery, very good D.I.Y. drill. I've used them on sites and abused them big time and stood up to the Hilti I have......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Homebase do hammer drills for under €30. These last if not dogged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Get one with hammer action. Handy for masonary. Crap unless you pay big bucks, but handy for use now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

You could do worse than wait for the Lidl-carousel to turn to battery drills again. Generally speaking their tools do what they say on the tin and are robustly enough designed. Whereas you could be taking a gamble at the price levels your at purchasing elsewhere.

You could do worse than wait for the Lidl-carousel to turn to battery drills again. Generally speaking their tools do what they say on the tin and are robustly enough designed. Whereas you could be taking a gamble at the price levels your at purchasing elsewhere.

Don't forget to be at the front of the queue if you want to get one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,706 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I think I will just get myself a cheapie hammer drill one from Argos or Lidl or somewhere. I will rarely use it, but handy to have.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice folks.

I think I will just get myself a cheapie hammer drill one from Argos or Lidl or somewhere. I will rarely use it, but handy to have.

To be fair, they'll do the job just fine. I had a Challenge Xtreme one for about two years and it did all the 'about the house' work i needed doing. When I started working and using it every day, the battery died after a few weeks, so fine for diy imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Heres a 14v Bosch for less than 50 notes.
    Or a Dewalt for less than 100 with 2 batteries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Heres a 14v Bosch for less than 50 notes.
    Or a Dewalt for less than 100 with 2 batteries

I got that exact Bosch one in Woodies last week for €31 - 20% off that day. A good charge and the battery lasted ages, drilling several hundred screws into a deck. Doubt it would be much use for drilling anything solid, but I've a good Black&Decker for that...

Advertisement