Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automobile Technology

Options
  • 26-04-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is currently doing the Cert. in Automobile Technology or has completed it recently. I am considering this as a mature student because I was hoping to gain an apprenticeship but there aren't many available and most won't consider me because I'm in my 30's. I thought this might be a good alternative but was hoping to get your thoughts.
    1. What are your opinions of the course - good/bad?
    2. How much of a practical element is involved?
    3. What level of prior experience/knowledge would be useful?
    4. Are there any mature students on the course?
    5. What work options will be available at the end of the course?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I'm 35 and unemployed, I can't really afford to waste time on a course that won't get me anywhere.

Thanks for your kind attention.
    Regards,
    Tom.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cocomk1

Well, I started this course this year (2010/2011). Im 20. I spent a year in UL, I hated that and I signed up for this.

To be honest I really enjoy the coarse. If you have an interest in the area your going to like it anyway.

There are 4 hours each week in the garage out of a total of 26 hours. Here you do jobs which include sensors, gearbox stripping, tracking, brakes, compression test etc.. You then have an exam near the end of the year to complete some of the jobs you did during the year.

There are another 2 hours each week in the machine workshop/ welding workshop.

Other subjects include maths, science, business, vehicle technology, cad, computers, and electrics. The maths and science can be tricky BUT if you work at the coarse you will honestly be grand. As far as I know it has the highest drop out rate in LIT but that is because people don't be bothered to work at it or just don't like the course. There was 45 (I think) at the start of the year. There's now 20 of us!

In terms of mature students there is 3 or 4 at present. However its the kind of course where everyone gets on with everyone else and you mix with students of all ages.

If your willing to work at it and go to lectures you will be the finest. Also if you have an interest in the area go for it. If you want to know anything else just ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Thanks a million cocomk1 for the prompt and informative reply.

Seems like you do more practical stuff than the equivalent course in DIT - they only do 2 hours and according to one forum, that involved looking at a few parts on a table!!

Looks pretty interesting from what you describe. Are they particular with the welding 'cos I'm pretty crap at it to be honest? Also, is it hard to pick up the AutoCad?

I'm not that familiar with Limerick and was wondering if there is much hassle around the IT as it's so close to Moyross - any vandalism to cars etc. (BTW that's not an anti-Limerick thing - all towns/cities have areas to avoid)

I'm not sure if I'd commute or stay there, as I'm from the Midlands - Laois. Might be a bit hard to commute if it's 9am starts but I'll see. Which areas around Limerick would be best for accommodation, even out a bit in the country would suit me, just don't want to end up in the wrong part of town. At my age the course will be enough hassle!!

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated.

Tom.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭cocomk1

The welding is fine. I never welded before but I got the hang of it eventually. You only have the welding from January-April of the year. Again the cad is grand. Go to the classes and once again you will be fine.

Im commuting every day (40mins drive) so I cant really answer your question on living in town. However, I have heard the area around the campus is fine and that there is rarely any trouble. If your worried about accomodation though and if you drive i suggest you inquire about renting in the castletroy area. Thats basically UL and your talking roughly about 10-15mins drive (depending on the time) to LIT

Thanks yet again cocomk1.

That sounds pretty good, so all I have to do now is cross the fingers (and whatever else) and hope for that offer.

My commute would be approx 1 hour 40 mins each direction with the new motorway, so I'm still not sure. Mind you, Athlone is about an hour and Carlow takes 1 hour 30 with traffic, so it mightn't be too bad.

Thanks for the Castletroy suggestion. I might take a look at that area and do my sums - the price of petrol these days might scupper the commute!!

Thanks again for all your help - won't annoy you any more!
    Best of luck with the course and with your future career.

Regards,
    Tom.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Bit of a thread bump here.
    I would really be interested in doing this course when I finish secondary school. What subjects and grades are required to get into it?

• Advertisement

Hi MayoBoy,

Here is a link to the course details on qualifax. http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=3155&CSH_ID=18&AdvancedKeyword=&ResetCount=1

There is a link at the bottom of this page to the lit page.

Best of luck with it.
    :)

I take it that a science subject is not needed or am I wrong?

Would I still be able to apply for this course if I wasn't doing business and a science subject? :o

Advertisement