Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My teen hacking into blocked site

• 26-04-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

So, for reasons I wont go into as its a long story, I dont want my teens having access to facebook any more.
    I use Mozilla and used a Block Site add on to add facebook to a blacklist so they cant use the site.
    However, she can hack into that by using an ssl command or something, i dont know the exact way they do it, her and her mates do it in school during ecdl class to get online instead of doing work...:D
    But doing same at home too so the add on is pointless.
    anyhow, can ANYONE out there PLEASE advise on how to block facebook for good from my pc, and in simple terms please, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So you blocked http://www.facebook.com but not https://www.facebook.com?

Does your router support domain name based blocking? It'd be more resilient to block it there instead of on the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

find your hosts file
    Its somewhere like windows/system32/etc/hosts

Put this entry in
    127.0.0.0 www.facebook.com

That will make facebook not resolve its IP address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

I'm not sure what to say... get her to delete her page from FB infront of you would be my suggestion.

If the school cant keep em off it you dont have much of a chance id say but maybe some-one here on boards will know a way for ya to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I say your kids will find a way around it anyway, or just use their phones. Seems a futile exercise if you dont mind me saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You blocked Firefox, they probably just used internet explorer or another browser.

Look into OpenDns adult site and domain blacklisting, set it up on your router (you may need to install software on your pc depending on what provider you got)
    http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/
    Its not a definitive way of blocking but it helps (setting static dns on the pc bypasses it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't give them an administrator account for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

With respect, judging from the OP, you arent overly technical. Whatever measure you put in place is going to be easily circumventable by your kids.

Youll have to resort to old-style parenting here.

CiaranC wrote: »
    With respect, judging from the OP, you arent overly technical. Whatever measure you put in place is going to be easily circumventable by your kids.

Youll have to resort to old-style parenting here.

tumblr_kpnb2vhvKN1qztjn5o1_400.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Lavattack wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to say... get her to delete her page from FB infront of you would be my suggestion.

If the school cant keep em off it you dont have much of a chance id say but maybe some-one here on boards will know a way for ya to do it

The stupid thing is with facebook that you cant delete your account, you can only de-activate it.
    To re activate you dont have to re register, you just log in with your same details and all your stuff and friends are still there..

I blocked it in IE too.
    Looks like I will have to do it the techy way, and try the hosts file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

There's no point in even trying there's way too many way's around this there's actually a facebook group dedicated to ways of getting around this, so don't bother.

• Advertisement

BengaLover wrote: »
    I blocked it in IE too.
    This is not "the techy way". Windows is generally speaking, a single user operating system, your kid will be able to just change it back. Even if you create accounts with the correct access levels to stop this happening, its still accessible by IP address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

The stupid thing is with facebook that you cant delete your account, you can only de-activate it.
    To re activate you dont have to re register, you just log in with your same details and all your stuff and friends are still there..

I blocked it in IE too.

Hmmmm, so I have been off facebook now about a year and assumed that I had it deleted..... this isnt the case.....??

I am curious now as to why they keep it... If i log in now so will I still have same friends, pictures etc there?

I know it doesnt help going off topic sorry OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I blocked it in IE too.
    Not true, you Can delete your account...

I give up... maybe setting a master password to log onto the pc for any reason is the best option..kids are waaayy to clever these days.bring back the 80's someone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

easiest way to do it is with the hosts file edit. BUT if they are smart enough to use https:// instead of http:// then im sure they are smart enough to find something like phproxy.org which will completely bypass anything u put in place.

another option is to get something like netnanny and also have it block all types of proxy etc etc.

IMHO, ur gonna fail, there is no 100% fool proof way of blocking sites like this for home unless u wanna spend a couple of grand on a decent firewall

Tallon wrote: »
    Not true, you Can delete your account...
    How do you do that? Post a load of KKK stuff and get deleted?

ok, thanks for all the replies, guess I will just have to keep a closer eye on things...
    I really did think there was a simple way to do this like the block site, but they are always a step ahead of me..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

in school they used to use something called hidemyass to get onto websites that were blocked. so maybe if you know what they're using to get on the site it might help. i dunno though, ive obviously no knowledge of this kind of stuff but just thought id say just in case someone else might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Just following on from Spear's suggestion, do you know how to configure your router? If you blocked facebook from there, both the computer and smartphones would be unable to connect to facebook. I don't think that there would be an easy way for your son to get around this without him configuring the router. You changing the admin password of the router will prevent him doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

How to delete Facebook account

Go here (working link above):
    http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

Click "Submit" and follow the instructions.

Your account will be deactivated for two weeks, and if you DO NOT USE FACEBOOK IN ANY WAY during that period, your account is permanently deleted.

I REPEAT: Your profile isn't deleted right away! You must NOT log in to, or interact in any other way with Facebook for at least two weeks, as it will cancel the deletion request. That includes NOT logging in to Facebook using any client (like the iPhone app or IM:s like Pidgin), NOT clicking embedded Like-buttons on other websites, NOT logging in to other services using Facebook Connect (like Digg) etc etc.

Hey, while your're at it, delete all your browsing/forms history and cookies as well, to minimize the risk of accidentally using your account!

If you want out - stay out, mmmkay? ;)

This method is official and should be complete, i.e. no need to delete individual photos, comments, messages or items from your profile or anywhere else on Facebook! If you have any concerns whether your stuff is actually deleted (as opposed to being kept somewhere in the deep dungeons of Facbook's HQ) your best bet is to ask them using email: info@facebook.com.

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

Maybe they were'nt clever enough to use Https. if you google it, it will more than likely bring you to the secure version...

• Advertisement

Opendns has the option in it adult content filtering to block known proxy sites, well worth looking into as an extra measure. I use it here, the kids see a big angry pic of my face if they try go somewhere I don't approve :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Opendns has the option in it adult content filtering to block known proxy sites, well worth looking into as an extra measure. I use it here, the kids see a big angry pic of my face if they try go somewhere I don't approve :D

This!! There are ways around it though. Somethings aren't advertised as proxies but offer essentially the same service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You could always try NetNanny or Norton Safeweb - those will block, monitor, and control how many hours and what kind of schedule they can access the internet on.

The other option I've seen going around is yourself being very active on Facebook and tied into their accounts, so as a 'friend' you'll be able to see their status updates, photos, and all that stuff. IM conversations are another matter of course, but honestly how can one expect to strip away all forms of privacy? I was never provided a lock on my door for instance but then again I did have a door..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

So, for reasons I wont go into as its a long story, I dont want my teens having access to facebook any more.
    I use Mozilla and used a Block Site add on to add facebook to a blacklist so they cant use the site.
    However, she can hack into that by using an ssl command or something, i dont know the exact way they do it, her and her mates do it in school during ecdl class to get online instead of doing work...:D
    But doing same at home too so the add on is pointless.
    anyhow, can ANYONE out there PLEASE advise on how to block facebook for good from my pc, and in simple terms please, thank you in advance.

1. I'd give up, their teenagers. You won't win a tech battle. :pac:
    2. It would be much better if you could find a way of getting this to flash in the top corner:

[IMG]http://mtb_kng.webs.com/Pictures/iaza17827737451000.gif[/IMG]

I think that would be much more effective than stoping them :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Local PC fixes are fine until the kids learn how trivial it is to stick in a Linux live DVD or USB edition...

thebman wrote: »
    This!! There are ways around it though. Somethings aren't advertised as proxies but offer essentially the same service.

Yes, its just another layer of security, no point depending on just one solution. I'd do many types of blocking, block it the hosts file, block by domain name blocking on the router and block all adult sites and proxies through opendns on the router

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

It's difficult to completely block access to a site if someone wants in, especially now that teenagers are increasingly tech savvy. The first thing I would recommend is sitting down and educating yourself. To beat your teenager at her own game, you need to know as much if not more than she. From what you've said below, I'm pretty certain she's using a Proxy Server to access Facebook, if not any and all of these methods. You really need to be using a layered approach. Apart from simply blocking facebook.com, you need to also block the IP address: 69.63.189.16. Use the hosts file route as well, blocking www.facebook.com, facebook.com, and the IP. Then you need to look into blocking FB from your anti-virus/firewall programme. Depending on the one you have, you should also be able to block certain programmes from running - one of which you should definitely block being Tor/Vidalia. Then get a copy of OpenDNS as well. I would also look in to blocking Facebook and it's IP from within your router. I'd also contact my ISP if I were you to see if they can offer advice. I would use all of the above. If you need clarification on any of the above, I'd be more than willing to help you out a bit more. Oh yes - block this site too: https://proxy.org/ ;)

now THATS what im talkin' bout!

now THATS what im talkin' bout!

Yeah, but its easy get around, I have Eircom here and opendns set on the router. Setting static dns settings on the network card to Eircoms gets around this, just hope they don't figure this or read here. You could possibly block your Isp's dns servers on your router

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Op do you work somewhere that has an I.T department or know someone thats better than you with comp's. Throw them €50 and ask them to set you up. Might work, might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

There is literally no way for you to stop your children from using Facebook. No matter what roadblock you try to put up, they'll find a way around it. Even if you get rid of your home computer, they can still access it on phones, friends' computers, library computers, etc etc.

What you should be thinking about is why you don't want them to use Facebook. Tackle the underlying issue. Is it that you're worried about them being stalked by paedophiles? Then talk to them about the risks of exposing personal information publicly. You don't want them wasting time online? Well, first of all, try to realise that something like Facebook is (to some degree) a social activity. They're keeping in contact with people (some of whom could be out of easy reach of conventional communication). If you think they're spending too much time on social sites to the detriment of (e.g.) schoolwork, then try a carrot along with the stick. Allow them a certain amount of time online once they've finished their homework, etc.

The bottom line is that you're going to have to deal with this issue with your children, not against them (otherwise you can't win).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's difficult to completely block access to a site if someone wants in, especially now that teenagers are increasingly tech savvy. The first thing I would recommend is sitting down and educating yourself. To beat your teenager at her own game, you need to know as much if not more than she. From what you've said below, I'm pretty certain she's using a Proxy Server to access Facebook, if not any and all of these methods. You really need to be using a layered approach. Apart from simply blocking facebook.com, you need to also block the IP address: 69.63.189.16. Use the hosts file route as well, blocking www.facebook.com, facebook.com, and the IP. Then you need to look into blocking FB from your anti-virus/firewall programme. Depending on the one you have, you should also be able to block certain programmes from running - one of which you should definitely block being Tor/Vidalia. Then get a copy of OpenDNS as well. I would also look in to blocking Facebook and it's IP from within your router. I'd also contact my ISP if I were you to see if they can offer advice. I would use all of the above. If you need clarification on any of the above, I'd be more than willing to help you out a bit more. Oh yes - block this site too: https://proxy.org/ ;)

+1. This is excellent advice OP. Just try to be a step ahead of them. You could try putting a keylogger on to the machine, but that's going a bit OTT.

I'd recommend OpenDNS too.

Oh and be sure to post the aftermath! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd also like to add that if i was you i'd be having a word with the school. Kid's are suppose to be learning not surfing the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Well you say she's using SSL, but I suspect you may mean SSH tunneling. If this is the case then she could access any site through a remote server no matter what websites you block! Also, if this is the case, look on the computer for any new software she may have installed, anything to do with SSH or Tunnels, delete/uninstall it and if this is how she is accessing it, she won't be able to anymore!

But to be honest, it's a pointless operation given how many different ways there are to access facebook. Also as someone already mentioned, get rid of her Administrator status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    I'd also like to add that if i was you i'd be having a word with the school. Kid's are suppose to be learning not surfing the web.

Speaking from personal experience??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

You need not go into those reasons with us, but perhaps exploring those issues with your teens and coming to some resolution with them is a more worthwhile approach than trying to block Facebook.

As was stated already, you're not going to be able to stop them from accessing it. BTW, they didn't hack into a blocked site. They merely by-passed the minimal restrictions you have put in place. You can try and put more and more restrictions in place, but you can be guaranteed they will find some way of by-passing them.

Eircom (and you'd hope they have a techy person or two..) tried to block thepiratebay.org. And guess what?? Any Eircom customers with minimal know-how can by-pass those restrictions very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Very simple solution. There is no way around this once it is switched on bar your teen reformating the pc or using an intricate tunnel (which may well be what is at work here), as attempting to disable it results in denial of internet access until a restart (switches on from restart). And best of all its free! It is called K9. Make sure you don't lose the password (and that your teen does not have access to your email as this is where it will be sent) as it is a process to get it back - if you lose access to your email you get in touch with K9 customer care and they send it to the new email address AFTER 7 days (lest your teen be up to no good there and then). It also tracks what is going on online, prevents https access if you enable it, and ensures blocking of any searches for proxies. You can also add buzzwords to this list.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/aboutk9/overview

Thanks for replies. Not worried about peedos, its rather more complicated than that and involves slight cyber bullying to a degree not to mention the amount of time they spend on it that should be spent socialising with 'real' people...
    I think facebook is super useful but can bring about lots of unwanted aggro too that teens shouldnt have to face or deal with, life is hard enough without dealing with stress online too..KWIM..

tommy21 wrote: »
    Very simple solution.
    This is not a solution. Her kid can just use another device to connect to facebook. Or another OS on her current device. There is no technical solution to preventing a teenager accessing facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

CiaranC wrote: »
    This is not a solution. Her kid can just use another device to connect to facebook. Or another OS on her current device. There is no technical solution to preventing a teenager accessing facebook.

On the current PC. Obviously if he/she can access another then no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

tommy21 wrote: »
    On the current PC. Obviously if he/she can access another then no.
    Or they can just download a LiveCD Linux distro, run it on their PC and access Facebook from that.

There is no way you can realistically prevent a teenager from accessing Facebook (short of being a Fritzl), especially one who has more technical knowledge than you. You can make it slightly more difficult, but there are ways around everything (at least, everything client-side, and I don't think Facebook are likely to block a child at their parent's request).

Teaching them how to use it responsibly is always a better option than trying to restrict them. It's the same with alcohol, teenagers will always be able to get access to it. It's the ones who are introduced to it at home in a responsible way who have a mature attitude to it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

28064212 wrote: »
    Or they can just download a LiveCD Linux distro, run it on their PC and access Facebook from that.

There is no way you can realistically prevent a teenager from accessing Facebook (short of being a Fritzl), especially one who has more technical knowledge than you. You can make it slightly more difficult, but there are ways around everything (at least, everything client-side, and I don't think Facebook are likely to block a child at their parent's request).

Teaching them how to use it responsibly is always a better option than trying to restrict them. It's the same with alcohol, teenagers will always be able to get access to it. It's the ones who are introduced to it at home in a responsible way who have a mature attitude to it

Change bios to not boot from cd and set bios password.
    Bios password can be reset by opening case and changing pins on the motherboard but a lot of cases have a place to attach a padlock to physically prevent the case being opened.

Windows 7 (maybe vista too) has parental features that you can limit how long they use a computer and you can block certain programs or only let them run programs you specify. This could be used to prevent ssh clients from being used to tunnel out.

Doesn't do much if they can access on phones or other computers though. You could block stuff on the router side if it supports it but that can be bypassed with proxies so you'd need some filtering software installed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I would fall in to the category of discussing it with your kids. Banning something is just going to make it more desirable.

On the plus side OP you are inadvertently providing your kid and yourself with some fantastic I.T training as I'm sure any steps you take will be looked up on the school machines (and friends will share knowledge here too) to be bypassed and the cycle of training continues ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

i know that talking to your kids and discussing the dangers etc. is the best option but with facebook being such a 'normal' thing in school (even at 21 i still get a look of horror from people when i say im not on it!) its probably going to go in one ear and out the other.
    and im sure it was the first port of call for the OP. even banning it would lead to a 'why?' so im sure the kids already know how he feels about it all. although correct me if im wrong OP!
    hope you get it sorted whatever way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I give up... maybe setting a master password to log onto the pc for any reason is the best option..kids are waaayy to clever these days.bring back the 80's someone..

tbh, having them log into a guest account (non admin. account with limited capabilities) makes sense anyway, but as regards whatever tech solutions you find to block FB usage in the home at least (don't forget about school, internet cafes, friend's house, phones) this will not address the issue. It sounds like there is a huge gap between your opinions and feelings about your child's internet activities and their own opinions and feelings about their internet use. What's your worry/issue exactly? Is it that your child is not interacting at home, not doing school work, chatting with older kids, using bad language......there could be a million things. Do you know what your child is doing/saying on FB? Is that what worries you? There must be some way to bridge this information gap and for both of you to explain where you are coming from. Maybe both of you can see the other's point and make some behaviour adjustments.
    One thing is for sure, neither kids nor adults want to be told 'you can't do this, that's enough of that, you shouldn't do this, I won't let you do that'.
    Dialogue, that's the first step.

Change bios to not boot from cd and set bios password.
    Bios password can be reset by opening case and changing pins on the motherboard but a lot of cases have a place to attach a padlock to physically prevent the case being opened.

What, none of these offer any protection, most people use usb keys these days, but even that isn't necessary. Have you not heard of Wubi?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Netnanny ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You really are just wasting your time on this one. If you block every router and computer in the home, they'll just either bypass it or use their phones. Even in the most elite security applications a firewall is measured and tested, but its never ever considered foolproof. There is always a way around.

Even hidemyass.com or any proxy service would circumvent most if not all of the suggestions here.

If I had to give advice, on some Belkin and Netgear routers you can block by keyword. So just block the keyword "facebook" But bear in mind things such as www.good-website.com/facebook will be blocked, even if it has nothing to do with facebook.

I'd just approach the teen's in question, lay down the law. Or activity and proactively monitor their usage / privacy settings. As bad as it sounds, sometimes its better to allow a little evil than try stop it.

By the way I'm assuming the teens in question are sub-16, any older and I think your being a little over protective. Facebook is a very central part in many kids lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

What, none of these offer any protection, most people use usb keys these days, but even that isn't necessary. Have you not heard of Wubi?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi
    you can set the bios to only boot from hard drive (obviously depends on motherboard).

I did mention other options too like the family protection features of vista/seven that would stop from using things like wubi. Some internet filtering applications will let you limit the time they get online too.
    There is no one thing to block everything, needs a combination of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

google software restriction policy - disallow by default. Limited account and inbuilt parental controls along with bios restrictions as mentioned.

requires technical knowledge but combined with most suggestions on the thread will do the job on the household's pc's.

but yes, active parenting is required above all this technical stuff. (not disapraging the Ops parenting skills!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement