Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line/socket problem ?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I recently changed phone provider from Eircom to vodafone landline a few weeks ago. Everything was fine until the last week when I was unable to make any phone calls. The broadband was still working though. I was told that it was a problem with the monitored alarm. I had a technician come and disconnect the alarm and as a soon as he did the broadband went down. Vodafone did a line test and told me that there was a problem with the line. Today they phoned to say that the line to the house is working and everything is fine, but I've still not able to make or receive calls nor do I have broadband. Vodafone tells me that it will be another 48hrs before an engineer can check the line to the house.
    Anyone got any ideas how to fix this ? Is it an internal or external problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

go to the phone point where the line comes into the house. There disconnect any internal lines off this so as you can then plug in the phone and see if it works. This way you will know if its an internal problem or an external problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kennbren

I've opened the main socket box and disconnected any internal lines but still nothing. However I plugged the wireless router into that socket and the broadband is back. but there is still no dial tone from that socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

check and see if you have 48v between the 2 phone cables coming into the house...Maybe they have not activated the phoneline for voice and maybe only broadband and may activate it in the next day or so since they have repaired the line, only a suggestion...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kennbren

I'll give that a shot. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

kennbren wrote: »
    I recently changed phone provider from Eircom to vodafone landline a few weeks ago. Everything was fine until the last week when I was unable to make any phone calls. The broadband was still working though. I was told that it was a problem with the monitored alarm. I had a technician come and disconnect the alarm and as a soon as he did the broadband went down. Vodafone did a line test and told me that there was a problem with the line. Today they phoned to say that the line to the house is working and everything is fine, but I've still not able to make or receive calls nor do I have broadband. Vodafone tells me that it will be another 48hrs before an engineer can check the line to the house.
    Anyone got any ideas how to fix this ? Is it an internal or external problem ?

If there was a problem with the line to the house the broadband would be the first to stop working. I would say its more of a change over issue from Eircom to Vodafone affecting your calls in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If everything was working fine before you switched to Vodafone, then the problem is unlikely to be at your house unless there was a coincidental fault with the alarm or something else in your internal wiring.

Eircom and Vodafone use *exactly* the same equipment at the exchange. Vodafone use carrier-preselect for voice and bit stream wholesale access for data. Basically, that means that eircom's local access exchange equipment i.e. the voice exchange + the DSLAM are used and the data and voice traffic is passed over to the Vodafone at Home network at various major nodes around the country, or even at the local exchange itself depending on how big it is.

There certainly should be no interruption to voice services as the same equipment's providing them, so nothing should have physically changed.

If there's some issue with routing or somehow eircom / vodafone have screwed up the setup at the exchange, it's a network-side issue and they should be able to resolve it.

Try dialing 19800 and the local exchange will announce where it's routing your calls i.e. eircom/vodafone etc..

Advertisement